[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600XT too hot!

cordeirooo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
Just got a new PC, here are the important specs:

MoBo ASUS Prime B450M-Gaming/BR
CPU Ryzen 5 3600XT with Stock cooler (couldn't get my H60 to work for some reason).

All installed on a Sharkoon Pure Steel RGB.

My idle temperatures hang around 60ºC, right now it is hovering 75º and I'm just browsing. It varies wildly, at some point it was 47.5º.
I remember reading somewhere that it takes a minute or two for the thermal paste to sit well after installing, but it's been half an hour already and it still very high.

Just by searching the PC and browsing at the same time, my temperature got to 80º. I don't want to try and see what happens if I try playing a game.

A few of the fans on the case do not work (because the mobo don't have support for more than 3 fans, including the CPU's), but I doubt that would be the reason.
The screws are tight, the CPU cooler is running, there is no dust (new PC). What is going on?

EDIT:
Here's what HWiNFO64 is telling me about the temperature.

Solution
though in the review i remember reading for that case it mentioned a fan hub, those in the picture appear only to be aRGB connectors. maybe they were just commenting on the hub controlling the multiple fan's RGB connections.
there should be one 3-pin cable out that connects to a motherboard aRGB header. this would give you control over the fan's colors and light patterns via motherboard control software.

you should probably purchase a separate fan controller or even a better motherboard that comes with a decent amount of fan headers.
you could try shopping for the Cooler Master MasterFan PWM Hub, model # MFX-MHHN-10NN1-R1, they are relatively cheap and usually have pretty good user ratings. or something similar.
the stock coolers aren't that great to begin with, but it definitely needs sufficient airflow through the case for it to do much of anything.
if it is just recycling the CPU's heated air, it will continue to get warmer while in use.
your case and your other cooling components are important.

if it hits ~60° immediately upon startup, i would first reseat the cooler and make sure the thermal paste\pad is correctly applied.

this case doesn't have the best airflow even in the best scenario.
but the RGB version does have a built-in fan hub you can use that will only require one motherboard fan header to control multiple fans.
get at least 2x good fans pulling air in through the bottom and 1x exhausting out of the rear.

though in the review i remember reading for that case it mentioned a fan hub, those in the picture appear only to be aRGB connectors. maybe they were just commenting on the hub controlling the multiple fan's RGB connections.
there should be one 3-pin cable out that connects to a motherboard aRGB header. this would give you control over the fan's colors and light patterns via motherboard control software.

you should probably purchase a separate fan controller or even a better motherboard that comes with a decent amount of fan headers.
you could try shopping for the Cooler Master MasterFan PWM Hub, model # MFX-MHHN-10NN1-R1, they are relatively cheap and usually have pretty good user ratings. or something similar.

Reactions: cordeirooo
Solution