[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 4500U underclocks until charged to 40%

Feb 19, 2022
Hopefully using the right terminology here but when I plug in my charger and the battery is under 40%, I've noticed the CPU speeds are nothing close to the normal. This is also noticed in the FPS I get in games and performance in editing apps.

As soon as it charges to 40%, everything is fine again.

Any possibility that I can I change this percentage setting?

(I've already set 100% and Maximum Performance in the Power Plan Settings)

Solution
What laptop do you have?

But to throw out a conjecture, this may be by design. The power brick may not be sufficient to keep CPU/GPU fully powered while its charging the battery, and the first 50% tends to suck up a lot power.

In my case, my laptop comes with a 180W charger, but when I'm running a game, HWiNFO says the CPU and GPU take up about 80-90W total, so add another 20W for the rest of the system and I'm really only looking at 110W just from the hardware. Even if we say the laptop can get up 120W under load, that extra head room in the power brick is for charging the battery.
What laptop do you have?

But to throw out a conjecture, this may be by design. The power brick may not be sufficient to keep CPU/GPU fully powered while its charging the battery, and the first 50% tends to suck up a lot power.

In my case, my laptop comes with a 180W charger, but when I'm running a game, HWiNFO says the CPU and GPU take up about 80-90W total, so add another 20W for the rest of the system and I'm really only looking at 110W just from the hardware. Even if we say the laptop can get up 120W under load, that extra head room in the power brick is for charging the battery.

Solution
Feb 19, 2022
What laptop do you have?

I have an Acer Aspire A515 laptop