Question ryzen 5 4600h power limit on laptop

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
I recently got the hp pavilion 15 ryzen 5 4600h model. I ran few stress tests to check temps and they were fine. Never going above 90 degree C. However, I ran a bench again the other day and the temps are now 99 degree C. Also the cpu power is at or above 50 watts, which seems weird as 54w is the max of the 4600h and other laptops with the same cpu have the power limit at 35w from what I have seen. Is this the reason why the temps are so high now? I guess it must have been some update by HP that caused this. Is there any way to correct this?

Do you have the HP Command Centre? And if so, have you changed any settings?

It's not unusual for latop CPU's getting hot. Sometimes as you've described the CPU temps will spike, and can easily hit 95c-100c.

I've an HP Omen 15 and although I've an Intel CPU, it acts very similarly. My chips is a 45w TDP but draws up to and beyond 65w when all cores are sitting at 4ghz. It's similar also for Ryzen.

Reactions: Legend207

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Do you have the HP Command Centre? And if so, have you changed any settings?

It's not unusual for latop CPU's getting hot. Sometimes as you've described the CPU temps will spike, and can easily hit 95c-100c.

I've an HP Omen 15 and although I've an Intel CPU, it acts very similarly. My chips is a 45w TDP but draws up to and beyond 65w when all cores are sitting at 4ghz. It's similar also for Ryzen.
No, haven't changed any settings in the command center.
Actually for the pavilion series the command center is basically useless. You don't have control over the fans or any settings like that. Only monitoring can be done. However I did receive an omen command center sdk update, which I now think has done something weird with the power limits of the cpu. I used to get max 90 degree C before but now its reaching almost 100 degree C and getting lower scores in cinebench than before.

The Omen Command Center really could be causing your higher heat. In performance mode it essentially takes all power limits off and the CPU can boost higher on all cores and with no throttling, but the temps go way up! But, you've suggested your CB scores are lower, so there could be some throttling going on. Can you un-install the Command Centre SDK and see if temps go back to where you expect?

Run something like HWMon/Info, and look at the clockspeed while running CB, and see if it's hitting peak boost speeds.

There is a new Ryzen app for undervolting. Have you tried that? This is Tom's article on it: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/r...ng-like-capabilities-for-ryzen-mobile-laptops.

I wouldn't go diving headlong into it, but it's worth considering if your temp issue persists. I'd be reading up on it, and seeing if it's useful or relevant for you. It can reduce heat/temp and allow boost to go higher and for longer.

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
The Omen Command Center really could be causing your higher heat. In performance mode it essentially takes all power limits off and the CPU can boost higher on all cores and with no throttling, but the temps go way up! But, you've suggested your CB scores are lower, so there could be some throttling going on. Can you un-install the Command Centre SDK and see if temps go back to where you expect?

Run something like HWMon/Info, and look at the clockspeed while running CB, and see if it's hitting peak boost speeds.

There is a new Ryzen app for undervolting. Have you tried that? This is Tom's article on it: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/r...ng-like-capabilities-for-ryzen-mobile-laptops.

I wouldn't go diving headlong into it, but it's worth considering if your temp issue persists. I'd be reading up on it, and seeing if it's useful or relevant for you. It can reduce heat/temp and allow boost to go higher and for longer.
I did try uninstalling the command center but the temps are still high and the issue is still there. I haven't tried that undervolting app. I'll check it out.
Thanx for your help!

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Have you updated the bios recently? If so you might try rollback the bios. You can do this from the HP support site. Try this, and see if it helps: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833
I did not receive any bios updates but I still did a recovery as I did experience some of the symptoms mentioned in the link. Did a test again but the issue still persists unfortunately. What I did notice was that the fans were too late to kick in during the test. It was relatively quite till 95 degree C. Only after that did it really start to spin.

I did not receive any bios updates but I still did a recovery as I did experience some of the symptoms mentioned in the link. Did a test again but the issue still persists unfortunately. What I did notice was that the fans were too late to kick in during the test. It was relatively quite till 95 degree C. Only after that did it really start to spin.

Hmmm, that is very odd. My fans spin up in increments from about 60c and above. It might be worth touching base with HP Support and see what suggestions they have. That the fans only spin up at really high temps is bothersome. I'd be asking them about it, and if it's still under warranty would consider RMA'ing it.

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hmmm, that is very odd. My fans spin up in increments from about 60c and above. It might be worth touching base with HP Support and see what suggestions they have. That the fans only spin up at really high temps is bothersome. I'd be asking them about it, and if it's still under warranty would consider RMA'ing it.
Oh damn. I'll check with them then. Thanks for the help!

Dec 8, 2020

I have the same laptop and when running CineBench or Performance test, the fans kick on at 90C as well. Power is around 45W(package) /54W (Cores) in HW Monitor. Max temperature on mine when testing is 95C. I did some research and the typical TDP of 4600H is 45W and can reach up to 54W. Max temperature for 4600H is 105 C

My questions is why do the fans kick on late at 90C during heavy full load tests and not lower or is this normal for this specific laptop model?

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
No worries, glad to help. It may be something that can be fixed easily. I'm sure they will try diagnose it. If it's faulty, they will give you instructions on how to return it, or send to repair store for testing.
Hey just wanted to give an update. It turns out the vents on the laptop was blocked. I was using it on my desk and never thought that the vents would be blocked as the surface was not any cloth material. It indeed was blocked.
I placed the unit on a completely level surface and am now getting the same temps and scores that many others with the same model are getting.
I was a bit ignorant. Sorry about that!:sweatsmile:

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hey just wanted to give an update. It turns out the vents on the laptop was blocked. I was using it on my desk and never thought that the vents would be blocked as the surface was not any cloth material. It indeed was blocked.
I placed the unit on a completely level surface and am now getting the same temps and scores that many others with the same model are getting.
I was a bit ignorant. Sorry about that!:sweatsmile:

Result! ☺ That's great. At least you have peace of mind. Yeah, always check those vents. I'm OCD with mine :tearsofjoy:

Dec 8, 2020
I haven't contacted them yet. My temps don't reach 100 degree C now, it maxes out at 95 degree C and behaves just as you described. Not sure why the fans start to kick in late though.

Thanks for the update. Also, I checked the bios and there is a option to keep "Fans Always on". Not sure if that's worth it