Question Ryzen 5 5500 RAM compatibility ?

switchest26

Reputable
Nov 1, 2017
Hi all,

Ive recently got some parts together for a basic upgrade and have come into some trouble.
My question is whether my Ryzen 5 5500 is compatible with my Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 1.35v RAM.

The issue Im having is that once built up, the system wont Post or have any hint of BIOS on screen. No diagnostic beep codes.

Actions Ive taken

1. Made sure CPU is seated and fan installed correctly
  2. Ensured the board power is installed
  3. Re-seated UDIMMS
  4. Re seated and power to GPU (older GTX950 worked fine on old sys)
  5. Cleared CMOS, / battery remove
Other information
Board ASUS Prime B450m-K ( Second hand)
My PSU is a Corsair 500w
Basic standard monitor
No OS installed as has a new 250GB SSD
There appeared to be a very small amount of heat paste in one of the CPU tray holes...ive cleared that out.
The CPU tray diddnt appear to move forward a great deal with the CPU installed ( I may be being paranoid)
Theres definitely power to the board and USB

Id be grateful for any help possible or ideas..ive asked Crucial but havent had any answer.

Kind regards

Martyn

Last edited:
Hi all,

Ive recently got some parts together for a basic upgrade and have come into some trouble.
My question is whether my Ryzen 5 5500 is compatible with my memory (Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 1.35v)

The issue Im having is that once built up, the system wont Post or have any hint of BIOS on screen. No diagnostic beep codes.

Actions Ive taken

1. Made sure CPU is seated and fan installed correctly
  2. Ensured the board power is installed
  3. Re-seated UDIMMS
  4. Re seated and power to GPU (older GTX950 worked fine on old sys)
  5. Cleared CMOS, / battery remove
Other information
Board ASUS Prime B450m-K ( Second hand)
My PSU is a Corsair 500w
Basic standard monitor
No OS installed as has a new 250GB SSD
There appeared to be a very small amount of heat paste in one of the CPU tray holes...ive cleared that out.
The CPU tray diddnt appear to move forward a great deal with the CPU installed ( I may be being paranoid)
Theres definitely power to the board and USB

Id be grateful for any help possible or ideas..ive asked Crucial but havent had any answer.

Kind regards

Martyn
You probably have to update BIOS. Have a look here
As far I can see it should be 3211 or newer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing to do with the ram. It's the cpu. It's too new, too advanced for the bios currently on the motherboard.

When you push the button, very first thing bios does is called Power On Self Test., POST. It checks every component to see if they are there, and working. Bios is checking for a cpu that it recognises, and isn't finding one.

You need to update the bios to version 3211 or newer that has new cpu information tables.

When the B450 was first released, and for a long time after, the 5500 didn't exist yet, so any bios from back then has no idea what a 5500 cpu is.

switchest26

Reputable
Nov 1, 2017
Nothing to do with the ram. It's the cpu. It's too new, too advanced for the bios currently on the motherboard.

When you push the button, very first thing bios does is called Power On Self Test., POST. It checks every component to see if they are there, and working. Bios is checking for a cpu that it recognises, and isn't finding one.

You need to update the bios to version 3211 or newer that has new cpu information tables.

When the B450 was first released, and for a long time after, the 5500 didn't exist yet, so any bios from back then has no idea what a 5500 cpu is.

Thanks for your reply ....what method would you suggest to add-in a new bios given there's no display....would a bootable USB be suitable?

Thank you again

Yes I just came to that conclusion as my MOBO doesnt have EZ/Flashback capability.

Im going to check prices of lower Ryzen or better Mobo instead.

ah heck!
If you're going to change motherboard or CPU, maybe consider doing both and get a 12400f. The i5-12400F is $155 and would give you PCIe 4.0/5.0 compatibility, which the R5 5500 does not support. A DDR4 compatible B660 motherboard is around $120-160 for a decent board.

Otherwise all you need is at least a Ryzen 1000/2000 series CPU (3000 series might be too new for the bios version, but probably still fine) to update the bios. AMD has their 'Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit' available through an RMA, so you can update the bios yourself and may be cheaper than going to a PC repair shop for such a simple fix or buying another CPU that you have to return. The repair shop may still be the best option though for bios flashing.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Cheers Mike,

Dammit...would that result in no start no bios etc?
Definitely would, yes. Do you have a PC shop close by? Would be my first stop in this situation. Though as stated above, a 12400F and a B660 board would be a good combo and shouldn't break your bank account if you are willing to switch. Both options would be cheaper than getting another CPU just to update BIOS if can still return the Ryzen and board.