[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5500u temperature

racctor

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
Hello!

I ordered myself a HP -15s-eq2152ng laptop for 420€ last week , and right out the box it felt like the cpu cooler is either all or nothing. First, i tried to manually regulate the fan via speedfan, but the fan cant be detected. Saddly there isnt an option in the BIOS either to regulate the fans.
The Ryzen 5 5500U sometimes reaches ~ 77°C while just having one browser tab open, with the fan fully kicking in and then going back to 55°C.

I tried running Cinebench R20 and the CPU reached 86,5°C (from hwinfo). Is that okay or too much? What else should i check to see if the CPU runs too hot or if the cooling isnt enough? I`m thinking about returning the laptop since i have had enough trouble in my lifetime with not adequately cooled systems, but i dont know anything about laptop temperatures and standards.

Also while running Cinebench i noticed that my core frequencies always remained around 2870 MHz. Shouldnt the Ryzen 5500U be able to use 4050 MHz, or is Cinebench not the right tool to fully load the CPU continuously?

Any help would be appreciated

greetings

Solution
The 5500u is rated up to 105c. So 77c is warm but your cpu fan is kicking in and cooling it sufficiently to 55c. Cinebench will run your cpu at base speeds unless you overclock it in bios. When running the Cinebench test open task manager and under performance tab see what speed it is actually running at. You can use Cpuid Hwmonitor to monitor temps, speeds voltages etc during your tests, it is a very handy tool. 86 c is warm but during the Cinebench test all cores are running at 100 percent and it isn't that bad for a cpu fan.
The 5500u is rated up to 105c. So 77c is warm but your cpu fan is kicking in and cooling it sufficiently to 55c. Cinebench will run your cpu at base speeds unless you overclock it in bios. When running the Cinebench test open task manager and under performance tab see what speed it is actually running at. You can use Cpuid Hwmonitor to monitor temps, speeds voltages etc during your tests, it is a very handy tool. 86 c is warm but during the Cinebench test all cores are running at 100 percent and it isn't that bad for a cpu fan.

Solution

racctor

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021

I am measuring everything with hwinfo while running the tests. There shouldnt be any difference to using CPUid HWmonitor right? I just ran "Heavy Load" with full CPU usage and it reached 86 C again. I watch speeds in task manager and hwinfo -> its pretty constantly running at 2,95 Mhz, but after two minutes the frequency dropped a lot (i think it happend when 85°C were reached). In Cinebench the frequencies were 2,8 -2,9 MHz before reaching 85°C and then dropping as well. hwinfo states that no thermal throtteling occured though. so whats happening there?

Also, the base clock is 2,1 MHz... so what determines the ~2,9 MHz which occured in both Heavy load and Cinebench before throtteling? And is there a way to turbo load the CPU with 4,05 MHz for a longer time to measure the temperatures? Or is that irrelevant?

ty!