Question Ryzen 5 5600 and MSI B450M Gaming Plus booting sequence

Jan 5, 2023
Hello All,

After a processor upgrade from Ryzen 5 2500X to 5600, it looks like the boot sequence does not allow me to access the BIOS ( there is no initial screen asking to press DEL , it just goes straight to Windows).

Processor: Ryzen 5 5600
MB: MSI B450M Gaming Plus bios 7B87v1G support AGESA 1.2.0.7 (latest version)
Memory: Patriot Viper RGB Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video: Geforce GTX 1050

Using the 2500x with the same G version BIOS I get a full correct boot sequence, having the possbility to access the BIOS.
BIOS-ul is compatible with the 5600 according to MSI ( https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M...US/support#cpu ).
On the MSI site , amongst the changes made to the BIOS is also: - Change the default setting of Secure Boot.

I tried searching the BIOS for boot settings and I have the posibility to boot UEFI or Legacy+UEFI (currently selected).
Should I assume that 2500x boots Legacy, and 5600 somehow chooses UEFI ?

I tried accessing the BIOS by using the Windows sequence: Settings --> Updates & Security --> Recovery ---> Advanced Startup -----> Restart ---> UEFI firmware settings but the computer won't boot up after this kind of restart, it just remains suspended, needing a poweroff and power on.

Any idea how to access the BIOS and get rid of the Secure Boot sequence?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums and a Happy New Year, newcomer!

After a processor upgrade from Ryzen 5 2500X to 5600
+
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus bios 7B87v1G support AGESA 1.2.0.7 (latest version)
Did you clear the CMOS after you successfully updated the BIOS on the motherboard?

One more thing to note, you stated this;
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
yet you've parsed a BIOS page for the MSI B450M Gaming Plus they don't have the same BIOS versions, even though they might have the same A.G.E.S.A microcode revision;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS/support#bios

Jan 5, 2023
"Did you clear the CMOS after you successfully updated the BIOS on the motherboard? "
Not at that time, but I did it after using the jumper method. I also deactivated Fast boot from windows. Did another CLR CMOS with the jumper and the power cable disconnected, and also tried with a HDMI cable instead of the display port.
I need to enter the BIOS somehow and disable the UEFI, but I cannot do it unless I install the 2500X.

The mobo is the B450M version shown in CPU-Z, sorry for the typo. I corrected it.

Last edited: