saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This week, today or tomorrow preferred EXCEPT GPU
Budget Range:
$900 after shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Warzone and Steam games, most current owned titles run okay but I want to jump to 1080 high setting gaming at 60fps)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Upgraded PC Parts List:
Parts to Upgrade: RAM, Mobo and CPU, PSU and then GPU.

Do you need to buy OS: No (I purchased a key and installed it myself, reading the EULA this should allow for the software to be transferred)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg first, then Amazon

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU, Corsair PSU
Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Primary is 1920x1080 60hz, secondary is 1366x768 60hz tv
Additional Comments: I'm reusing my current case and fan, I recently upgraded my HDD to a Sata SSD and will be keeping it and the M.2 drive. I chose the G.Skill Trident Z Neo's since they will match the fan and the mobo too, I went for a B450 because I don't plan on overclocking so having access to PCIE4 didn't seem important. I've had a good experience with my current ASRock motherboard. My current PSU is the Corsair CX430 and it has lasted me almost 10 years with no issues so I want to get another Corsair PSU for sure.

My current PC build for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Saltiren/saved/6v8Bqs

Importantly, I don't really need the GPU at the same instant as the rest of my parts. Should prices continue to drop, I may order it in the upcoming days/weeks. I really just need the RAM upgraded ASAP, and for that I need a new CPU/Mobo combo and that requires a PSU upgrade to be safe.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My RAM is bottlenecking my system, I purchased a used CPU, Mobo and GPU combo in 2017 and they have served me well, but I am now experiencing framerate drops in games like Warzone and have decided to modernize with the goal of another 5+ years of use before looking at another upgrade at that time. My case has a window but my computer at the current moment is literally dark inside so I'd like a bit of RGB as well.

Anyone want to give me their thoughts, suggestions and concerns? It's been a few years since I last jumped into PC building but I think I have a solid setup here that should last me through until AM5 and GDDR5 becomes standard in the industry I hope!

Reactions: Why_Me

saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Think you are able to use your current motherboard, so see no real need to upgrade that unless audio and LAN chip are not satisfactory, if still wanting to upgrade would i really aim at B550.

Some boards,
Hello, thank you for your input! I would use my board if I was satisfied with the RAM speed compatability, but it is an issue for me. My current stick is running XMP at 2666MHz and I'm getting awkward issues like mouse clicks just not registering, random jumps across the screen when clicking and dragging. I'm thinking the RAM just isn't playing nice with the board and instead of replacing the RAM and keeping the board I'd prefer to get a Mobo RAM combo that's stable, plus the RBG of the Z Neo is really appealing 😅

I don't see much of a point in spending more for the B550? I'm not utilizing Pcie 4 so I'm not sure what the benefits would be here, I'd love to know.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I would upgrade the ram to 2x16gb kit, was just talking about the motherboard. Having a single stick with Ryzen is a bottleneck on it's own. Your current motherboard however does limit ram to 3200mhz, so that is something to keep an eye at.

But as said if upgrading the motherboard look at B550/X570.

saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
I would upgrade the ram to 2x16gb kit, was just talking about the motherboard. Having a single stick with Ryzen is a bottleneck on it's own. Your current motherboard however does limit ram to 3200mhz, so that is something to keep an eye at.

But as said if upgrading the motherboard look at B550/X570.
Oh interesting, the B350 DOES support 3200 when OC. I somehow misread that. But the Ryzen 5 1500x doesn't, so I'd still need the 5600 anyway correct? The AB350 manual says it supports Ryzen CPUs that are Bristol and Summit Ridge, so I couldn't upgrade my CPU without upgrading the motherboard anyway sadly.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Latest bios for your motherboard says it supports "Vermeer" which is desktop Ryzen 5000 series, sadly did they not update the support list for cpu's so they keep people in the dark.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

7.20 "beta"

1. Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.7
  2. Support Renoir, Vermeer, and Cezanne CPU

Yes think with the 5600 in your motherboard 3200mhz ram would run fine.

Solution

saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Latest bios for your motherboard says it supports "Vermeer" which is desktop Ryzen 5000 series, sadly did they not update the support list for cpu's so they keep people in the dark.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4/index.asp#BIOS

Yes think with the 5600 in your motherboard 3200mhz ram would run fine.
Hmm okay. Right now playing Need for Speed Heat my CPUs Temps are around 75°c with only my front two fans pulling in air. The downside of this current board is there is only one available chassis fan 4 pin connector available so if I don't upgrade the mobo I would have to use a fan splitter to have a fan on the back and a fan on the top of the case for exhaust, and I'm not sure if my mobo can supply power to two fans off one pin.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You mean one extra fan header? See it has 3 of them totally, anyway if in need for extra fans look at the Arctic P12 PST, these can connect to each other so you can lets say connect 3 fans to one header.

Not trying to sell your own motherboard to you, if you feel the need for the upgrade go for it. Like i said B550/X570 would imo be best. nJust wanted you to know that your current motherboard should work fine with a 5600(X).

saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
You mean one extra fan header? See it has 3 of them totally, anyway if in need for extra fans look at the Arctic P12 PST, these can connect to each other so you can lets say connect 3 fans to one header.

Not trying to sell your own motherboard to you, if you feel the need for the upgrade go for it. Like i said B550/X570 would imo be best. nJust wanted you to know that your current motherboard should work fine with a 5600(X).

Hmm okay, I see. I'm inexperienced when it comes to setting up Case fans, I purchased a splitter from Rosewill on Newegg so I can attempt to use another fan on this motherboard. I ordered the CPU and RAM as well so I can test them with the beta BIOS when they arrive and if all is well then I think I am set for a couple months. After that I can get a B550 Steel Legend and GPU.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: Vic 40
Just to interject I’ve got a similar system using this board.

I wouldn’t worry much about upgrading the board. On my AsRock ab350 pro 4, I’ve got the latest beta 7.20 bios. On my board like yours they say Vermeer but they don’t really say what cpu exactly. I sort of went by the zen 2 cpus.

All of that to say once I upgraded to the 7.20 bios, I’m now using the setup below

5900x
AsRock ab350 pro 4
MSI mech 6700xt
32gb ddr4 3200 gskill trident(4x8gb)

It all works great. Had it like this a month or so and it’s been perfectly happy.

One nice thing with the latest update, not only does it run the memory at 3200 with the correct xmp profile, but it also enabled smart access memory, which I’ve been using with the 6700xt and it works great.

Anyway, my board seems to be essentially a different variant of the fatality board. If my board is an indication of how yours will act I wouldn’t bother with the extra expense of upgrading it. My board handles the 5900x just fine, if you are running something like a 5600 or a 5600x, it should be very happy with that. As far as fans, I’m old school I guess and still prefer the old school molex connections so you can always go that route if needed.

Reactions: Vic 40

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
More info on the Arctic P12 PST,
https://www.arctic.de/en/P12-PWM-PST/ACFAN00170A
as you will see has every fan an extra 4pin connector, with this can you connect fans together, so you could run a fan from another and with just connecting one of those fans to a motherboard would they all be run of the power of that motherboard and whatever fan speed you should set or just let pwm take care of it of the fanheader was a 4pin pwm header.
Wouldn't run any amount of fans of one header, but up to three should be fine.

And as said above i did the same, run a 5800X3D of a X370 motherboard which works fine, have to admit this has a 4 phase vrm which is doubled , but seen reviews where your motherboard ran a 1800X (95watt TDP) fine and even a little overclockt so see no worries with a 5600(X).

Last edited: