Question Ryzen 5 5600g cooling

Feb 28, 2023
Hello,

I have been using the stock Wraith cooler for my cpu as I have been using the CPU as an APU. Just recently I upgraded to 6700xt and I am just wondering if that cooler is still enough.

Would it be good to upgrade the cooler, and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

I have built fifteen systems using the 5600G. I have two of my own as well, both are secondary systems used in my test bench and garage. The stock cooler sucks. Get a better cooler would be my advice. You'll get higher boosts and they will last longer, plus you won't have the godawful "ramping" up and down you get with ALL of the wraith coolers.

Recommendations are largely up to what your case model is and what you want or can afford to pay. Let me know and glad to make a recommendation.

Feb 28, 2023
I have built fifteen systems using the 5600G. I have two of my own as well, both are secondary systems used in my test bench and garage. The stock cooler sucks. Get a better cooler would be my advice. You'll get higher boosts and they will last longer, plus you won't have the godawful "ramping" up and down you get with ALL of the wraith coolers.

Recommendations are largely up to what your case model is and what you want or can afford to pay. Let me know and glad to make a recommendation.

Thank you for the advice! I will definitely look into switching it out now.
The case I have is a CoolerMaster 320L and my budget is preferably around 100$-150$ cad. Air cooled would probably be optimal.

thanks again!

Ok. That case can support any cooler up to 166mm, which is most of them. Right now, it really depends on how much you want to spend but this CPU does not REALLY require a fantastic cooler, just something better than stock.

Thing is, a REALLY great cooler these days isn't much different in price than a "mediocre" one. So this, would be my recommendation, and if you ever upgrade to a higher end CPU you could rest fine in the knowledge that you would already have a cooler that was more than capable of easily handling it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...2&sprefix=peerless+assassin+se,aps,137&sr=8-1

Review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

Feb 28, 2023
Ok. That case can support any cooler up to 166mm, which is most of them. Right now, it really depends on how much you want to spend but this CPU does not REALLY require a fantastic cooler, just something better than stock.

Thing is, a REALLY great cooler these days isn't much different in price than a "mediocre" one. So this, would be my recommendation, and if you ever upgrade to a higher end CPU you could rest fine in the knowledge that you would already have a cooler that was more than capable of easily handling it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Assassin120-PA120-Aluminium-Technology/dp/B09RWVV3XZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=39JX81UKINPNC&keywords=Peerless+assassin+se&qid=1677652682&sprefix=peerless+assassin+se,aps,137&sr=8-1

Review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se
Awesome, I will look into it!

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

And the Gammaxx 400 v2 is a decent little cooler. I have two of them among my spare coolers, but for the same price as the Peerless assassin SE, there is no way I could justify buying a Gammaxx 400 v2 that would in no way keep up with higher end CPUs I might swap in there later anywhere near as well as the Assassin SE. If you're going to pay the same price, might as well get the much better cooler UNLESS there is no possibility of making it fit in your case, and in this case, it does fit, so I'd be hard pressed to recommend that Deepcool model so long as the pricing is so similar.

On the other hand, some people just don't want to take up any more real estate inside their case than they have to AND the Assassin IS much wider, besides which the Gammaxx 400 v2 IS better than the stock cooler and WILL eliminate all that senseless ramping that the Wraith coolers do, so it's absolutely an option ESPECIALLY if you can find it cheaper. Sometimes that Gammaxx v2 can be had for as little as 25 bucks, BUT, IMO there are other, better options in that price range too which are also not double finstack coolers (So significantly smaller), like this one.

I have put this on three 5600G systems, and it works flawlessly and without fail can handle whatever the 5600G can put out. It's just not as good as the Peerless assassin SE, especially if you want an option that could be used down the road with a much higher TDP processor if you think that is ever going to be an option for you. If not, then there is little to no reason to look any further than this cooler below, which is about half the price and is a very high quality product regardless.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
Total: $19.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-03-01 11:59 EST-0500

TRENDING THREADS