Question Ryzen 5 5600G ITX build Running Hot under load

jamesm113

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
Just upgraded my HTPC build, upgrading an old A10-6700T APU in an Antec ISK mini ITX case.

Ryzen 5 5600G w/ stock cooler, used an old tube of artic silver 5
ASRock B450+ Gaming motherboard
cTDP configured to 45W.
1 80mm case fan. Was previously the stock case fan (antec tricool on low), just upgraded to the Noctua NF-A8 PWM and configured the motherboard to ramp up the fan speed based on motherboard temp.

If I run Prime 95 for more than 5-10 minutes, the CPU temp will hit 95C and the computer will shutdown due to thermal protection. Motherboard temp seems to stay around 45-46C.

Any advice? Shouldn't the stock cooler be able to handle full load of the CPU, especially with cTDP set to 45W?

jamesm113

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
I don't want to risk overheating and damaging the CPU under full load. All my previous builds have been able to run Prime95 indefinitely, though granted, I probably haven't built a PC in a decade.. Is there something special about the Ryzen that makes it prone to overheating?

jamesm113

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah I removed the plastic brackets after installing the motherboard. Put on some AS5 on the CPU, spread it around, tightened screws on the cooler until they wouldn't tighten anymore.

Is maybe the case temp too high?

I don't want to risk overheating and damaging the CPU under full load. All my previous builds have been able to run Prime95 indefinitely, though granted, I probably haven't built a PC in a decade.. Is there something special about the Ryzen that makes it prone to overheating?
The Antec ISK is a tiny case however, unless you got the ISK-600. If you didn't, cooling options, both the heat sink for the CPU and fans blowing air through it are much more limited. I'd argue the case is more suited for nothing more than a 35W CPU.

And again, Prime95 is an unrealistic workload. Almost nothing comes close to stressing the CPU that much. So unless you're going to be crunching Pi to the quadrillionth decimal again and again on that thing, run the things you're actually going to run and see if the thing still overheats.

jamesm113

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2012
Nope, it's an ISK 300-65. I think I saw a 35W TDP mode in the BIOS.

I'm only running a 1 case fan. Not sure if the motherboar has a header for a second case fan, could look into that. Also, looking at reviews, the ID IS-55 CPU cooler looks like it would be a nice upgrade that would fit.

So that means my case/motherboard temps are too high? I was seeing 45-46C.

I seemed to get a little more leeway by adjusting my case fan to increase speeds based on CPU temp, not motherboard temp.