[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x + B450 dosent go further from BIOS

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
Hello!

I just completed my build with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX + Ryzen 5 5600x . The CPU and Mobo were both bought from my local forum and used but they were in good condition and had any problems on past users. If i boot pc then its showing MSI logo and then instantly going to the BIOS. In the bios i can see everything about my CPU, RAM and infromation (Can check overclock settings and stuff). But the CPU Red Light is on stable. In the boot options i can see my Kingston USB where is windows installion installed but if i boot it then it wont booti it (It restarts, then there is coming MSI logo and then instantly going to bios again). The guy who sold me the mobo told the mobo has latest BIOS update and i can use the 5600x with this mobo. So is there any chance that my bios is not updated? Or if bios would be old version then i couldnt get to bios? If i download the windows to ssd from other computer then would it boot the ssd windows then or it could still go straight to bios? Or is there chance that CPU is dead, becouse i dont think its dead becouse it is like 4months old with receipt and all the pins were fine if i checked and installing the cpu it went into the socket pretty smoothly? You can give me some things that i could try becouse i dont know what to do.

My bios VER is: E7C02AMS.3A2
My MOBO:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
RAM: Tridentz RGB 2400mhz 2x16gb

Solution
i explained wrong but usb has the creation tool yes and today i tested usb with other computer and if i booted from usb then i got to windows 10 download, so it is confirmed that usb is fine. but if install windows to ssd in other computer and then put ssd to my computer, would it fix?
The reason it's going straight into BIOS is because it's not finding anything bootable on any drive. Not even the USB drive.

You do have to run the Media Creation Tool on another computer. When you run it it will offer to set up the installation media on the USB drive. When you pick that option it will then download it and set it up on the USB drive. Only then will that usb drive be bootable to start the installation process.

Here's a more...
Do a CMOS reset: it should be in the manual where pins are.

Turn power off and pull power plug, remove the CMOS battery, short the pins for several minutes. Then reassemble.

That BIOS looks to be the latest for Tomahawk MAX: 7C02v3A is what's shown on their BIOS support page at least. That looks like it could be the file name of the BIOS download file. If the same, it's also appropriate for Ryzen 5000. What is shown in the BIOS main screen for BIOS version though?

Did you prepare the USB drive using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool? You can't just copy the files to the USB, you have to let it create the installation media for you.

Make sure memory is located in A2 & B2 - the second and fourth DIMM socket going away from the CPU.

Last edited:
Hello!

I just completed my build with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX + Ryzen 5 5600x . The CPU and Mobo were both bought from my local forum and used but they were in good condition and had any problems on past users. If i boot pc then its showing MSI logo and then instantly going to the BIOS. In the bios i can see everything about my CPU, RAM and infromation (Can check overclock settings and stuff). But the CPU Red Light is on stable. In the boot options i can see my Kingston USB where is windows installion installed but if i boot it then it wont booti it (It restarts, then there is coming MSI logo and then instantly going to bios again). The guy who sold me the mobo told the mobo has latest BIOS update and i can use the 5600x with this mobo. So is there any chance that my bios is not updated? Or if bios would be old version then i couldnt get to bios? If i download the windows to ssd from other computer then would it boot the ssd windows then or it could still go straight to bios? Or is there chance that CPU is dead, becouse i dont think its dead becouse it is like 4months old with receipt and all the pins were fine if i checked and installing the cpu it went into the socket pretty smoothly? You can give me some things that i could try becouse i dont know what to do.

I don't know where your bios came from but if you go to the msi site and get the latest bios it is different than what you have.......it ends in 3A0

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
Do a CMOS reset: it should be in the manual where pins are.

Turn power off and pull power plug, remove the CMOS battery, short the pins for several minutes. Then reassemble.

That BIOS looks to be the latest for Tomahawk MAX: 7C02v3A is what's shown on their BIOS support page at least. That looks like it could be the file name of the BIOS download file. If the same, it's also appropriate for Ryzen 5000. What is shown in the BIOS main screen for BIOS version though?

Did you prepare the USB drive using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool? You can't just copy the files to the USB, you have to let it create the installation media for you.

Make sure memory is located in A2 & B2 - the second and fourth DIMM socket going away from the CPU.

I tried removing the CMOS and i also took out the cooler and CPU and put it back and i checked CPU pin-s and i didnt see any broken or bent pins. Also if i put it back then it went smoothly into socket. But booting i still have the same problem. If i click F11 (booting option) then there if i click to my Kingston USB then it instantly goes back to booting option and if i spam it then it goes all the time back to booting option. Yes i have downloaded windows 10 correctly becouse a week ago i downloaded windows to my friend with this usb.

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
I don't know where your bios came from but if you go to the msi site and get the latest bios it is different than what you have.......it ends in 3A0

So even if i dont have matching bios then it still boots to bios? I mean even if i had B450 default bios from factory then it would boot Ryzen 5 5600x to the bios? I can try to update the bios to the newest also.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm a little confused here by the description of events. Is the USB drive Windows install media set up by the Microsoft creation tool or is this simply a full install of Windows? The former is what you need so that you can do a full, fresh install on this PC. I don't know what "downloading Windows to my friend" means.

apelsinimahl

Reputable
Jun 11, 2017
I'm a little confused here by the description of events. Is the USB drive Windows install media set up by the Microsoft creation tool or is this simply a full install of Windows? The former is what you need so that you can do a full, fresh install on this PC. I don't know what "downloading Windows to my friend" means.

i explained wrong but usb has the creation tool yes and today i tested usb with other computer and if i booted from usb then i got to windows 10 download, so it is confirmed that usb is fine. but if install windows to ssd in other computer and then put ssd to my computer, would it fix?

The reason it's going straight into BIOS is because it's not finding anything bootable on any drive. Not even the USB drive.

You do have to run the Media Creation Tool on another computer. When you run it it will offer to set up the installation media on the USB drive. When you pick that option it will then download it and set it up on the USB drive. Only then will that usb drive be bootable to start the installation process.

Here's a more complete tutorial on creating the USB installation drive:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

EDIT: Also, be sure to plug the USB drive into a USB port on the back I/O panel of the motherboard. And try several of them if the first one doesn't work.

Last edited:
Solution
So even if i dont have matching bios then it still boots to bios? I mean even if i had B450 default bios from factory then it would boot Ryzen 5 5600x to the bios? I can try to update the bios to the newest also.
I'm just pointing out that if you go to the MSI site the latest bios they show ends in 3A0.
Where your bios came from beats me.
It might be a good idea to get the bios that MSI shows and test.

I'm just pointing out that if you go to the MSI site the latest bios they show ends in 3A0.
Where your bios came from beats me.
What he provided looks like a file name to me, not the BIOS rev itself. A filename could have be altered by someone along the way. I'm interested to know the BIOS rev that displays on the home screen when in BIOS.

Also: even if an older version it's obviously still Ryzen 5000 compatible or it wouldn't get into the screen and the BIOS file is in the Ryzen 5000 versioning sequence. He needs to solve the problem of just getting windows to install, then update BIOS if it's needed.

Last edited:
What he provided looks like a file name to me, not the BIOS rev itself. A filename could have be altered by someone along the way. I'm interested to know the BIOS rev that displays on the home screen when in BIOS.

Also: even if an older version it's obviously still Ryzen 5000 compatible or it wouldn't get into the screen and the BIOS file is in the Ryzen 5000 versioning sequence. He needs to solve the problem of just getting windows to install, then update BIOS if it's needed.
What the op provided is a bios level.
The MSI site shows a file level.
If you download the file it will try to install a bios level different/older? than what the op shows.
Since the op can not boot I have to guess the bios level came from a bios screen.

What the op provided is a bios level.
The MSI site shows a file level.
If you download the file it will try to install a bios level different/older? than what the op shows.
Since the op can not boot I have to guess the bios level came from a bios screen.
As I understand it, OP goes straight into the BIOS screen whenever he tries to boot. Which is typical of not having any bootable media attached.

"If i boot pc then its showing MSI logo and then instantly going to the BIOS. In the bios i can see everything about my CPU, RAM and infromation (Can check overclock settings and stuff)."​

What he provided for BIOS Rev is: E7C02AMS.3A2 that's a filename similar to what comes in MSI's distribution package except that's nowhere on the support site for the Tomahawk Max.

I'm not saying he's 'up to date', and I actually do believe you might be right that he has a BETA version in the sequence to a released version, 3A.0. But it's still going to be Ryzen 5000 compatible else it wouldn't even go to the BIOS screens.

It should be able to boot to the USB drive to initiate Windows install. Trying to update BIOS without being able to properly 'see' USB drives well enough to boot to them and install Windows might not turn out well.

Last edited:
Hello!

The red CPU light should not be on if the system is working properly, but if it's off when in the bios, it should be ok. When you try to boot to your USB drive, you need to make sure you are picking the UEFI option for your flash drive form the F11 boot menu or setting it as UEFI first boot priority in the bios boot options. Hopefully you actually ran the media creation tool to download the Windows installer to the drive, otherwise it won't work with just the media creation tool on the drive.

Once Windows is installed, you will likely have issues with the USB 3.x controller constantly disconnecting and reconnecting devices plugged into the USB 3.x ports. You should have no issues using the two USB 2.0 ports on the rear panel above the DVI port and the internal headers, until the USB issue is fixed.

I recently upgraded to a 5600X on my MSI B450 motherboard and rather than wait for the ports to be fixed, I ordered a temporary USB 3.0 PCIE x1 card with 2 rear ports and an internal header for my front panel ports. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFR2H64

Edit - Just a note on my USB 3.x issue. I discovered that the driver I thought was the correct one was actually marked incorrectly and was actually the hub driver and not the actual controller driver which needs to be installed before the hub shows up for it's driver to be installed. It appears to be fixed and working correctly now, so I sort of wasted money on a $20 USB 3.0 card.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler
As I understand it, OP goes straight into the BIOS screen whenever he tries to boot. Which is typical of not having any bootable media attached.

"If i boot pc then its showing MSI logo and then instantly going to the BIOS. In the bios i can see everything about my CPU, RAM and infromation (Can check overclock settings and stuff)."​

What he provided for BIOS Rev is: E7C02AMS.3A2 that's a filename similar to what comes in MSI's distribution package except that's nowhere on the support site for the Tomahawk Max.

I'm not saying he's 'up to date', and I actually do believe you might be right that he has a BETA version in the sequence to a released version, 3A.0. But it's still going to be Ryzen 5000 compatible else it wouldn't even go to the BIOS screens.

It should be able to boot to the USB drive to initiate Windows install. Trying to update BIOS without being able to properly 'see' USB drives well enough to boot to them and install Windows might not turn out well.
I was just pointing out that there was a mismatch between the bios level the op has and what MSI shows.
Does it have anything to do with not being able to boot from usb?.......beats me.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Hello!

Just a test.
Go to a working machine and create a memtest usb stick.
Verify it boots.
Take the stick to the problem machine and see if it boots.