[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x High Temps

Aug 24, 2022
I recently went from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 5 5600x and with the stock cooler it was about 80 degrees celcius when idle, when gaming it was about 4-6 degrees higher. I decided to buy an AIO and bought the Kraken X73 from NZXT, temperatures are now 50 - 55 at idle and about 58 - 65 gaming.

note: this is with the balanced windows plan, if I use the saver plan, the temperatures drop about 13 degrees (37 - 40)

Solution
First check system files by running "SFC /SCANNOW" in Command prompt (As administrator). reboot and run again if anything found.
You can also stop those checks
I already did it, it didn't work but I can confirm that it was windows.
temps: "idle" 36 - 39. I was playing RD2 and temps were at 43 - 45 degrees (Ryzen Master)
I don't know exactly how I "fixed" it, but I was doing some stress tests and then the CPU dropped to 2 - 3% usage.
Thanks a lot guys for helping me
Those TEMP values seems normal to me, except for the IDLE mode value which is a bit high. But not alarming. But while gaming, 58-65 temp value is normal. I wouldn't worry much about these temps.

Check the air-flow inside your ATX cabinet. And, what's the room/ambient temperature like ? These factors can also sometimes increase the idle mode temps, depending on how many case FANS you have installed, and their orientation among other things.

That idle temperature is normal. For the long winded explanation:
  • The "CPU temperature" value reported by Ryzen processors is the hottest part of the CPU
  • Windows still has idle tasks to run, but it lumps them together so that the CPU actually has a chance to idle for longer periods of times.
  • When it comes time to service those idle tasks, Windows shoves them all on one or two cores
  • The default boosting behavior is aggressive, so the CPU will boost to the highest clock speed it can because only one/two cores are being loaded
  • The lucky winner that handles the idle task will shoot up in temperature, because it's running at a high frequency and actually doing something
  • And since the core(s) handling the idle tasks are now hotter than the rest of the processor, the CPU temperature reporting value is reading that.
Use something like HWiNFO to look at the overall picture, as it reads the temperature data for all of the cores, the I/O IC, and the die average.

Hey there,

No, those temps even with the kraken are too high.

My 5600x idles at 29-32 during summer (I'm inIreland, so our summers are not hot, typically about 19c-21c if even).

Providing you have a decent case, with good airflow, you should be expecting temps in these ranges:

Idle - 30-35c
Gaming 55-75c (so this seems okay for what you currently have)
Max load (Prime or OCCT) - 75-85c.

Your CPU should run approx 10-15c over ambeint. So if you have temps currently in your room or outside of 30c or so, then you expect idle temps to be at 45-55 depending.

Also, as a measure, rathe than using power saver as a baseline, you should use Ryzen balanced plan. This will yield best performance and best efficiency too.

To me, it seems either your case has poor airflow, or your ambient temps are way high, resulting in your CPU having high idle temps, or cooler isn't seated correctly.

Last edited:
For a point of reference: My Ryzen 5600X sits around 40-50C on idle, dropping down to about 35C if I disable boosting, and it goes up to around 60C when gaming. Ambient temperature is typically 25-28C

I'm using an Arctic Duo R34 on a fan profile that keeps it around 1000RPM, using Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, in a Fractal Design Meshify C case, with a 140mm Noctua fan floating around 600-800 RPM.

I am also using PBO Curve Optimizer with -30 (or close to there) on all cores.

Aug 24, 2022
Those TEMP values seems normal to me, except for the IDLE mode value which is a bit high. But not alarming. But while gaming, 58-65 temp value is normal. I wouldn't worry much about these temps.

Check the air-flow inside your ATX cabinet. And, what's the room/ambient temperature like ? These factors can also sometimes increase the idle mode temps, depending on how many case FANS you have installed, and their orientation among other things.
My case has a closed front but i have tested it and the airflow seems decent.
Right now it's 24 degrees Celsius (I haven't checked in my room).
Fan configuration: 3- 120mm intake (AIO), 2- 140mm exhaust + 1- 120 also exhaust

Aug 24, 2022
That idle temperature is normal. For the long winded explanation:
  • The "CPU temperature" value reported by Ryzen processors is the hottest part of the CPU
  • Windows still has idle tasks to run, but it lumps them together so that the CPU actually has a chance to idle for longer periods of times.
  • When it comes time to service those idle tasks, Windows shoves them all on one or two cores
  • The default boosting behavior is aggressive, so the CPU will boost to the highest clock speed it can because only one/two cores are being loaded
  • The lucky winner that handles the idle task will shoot up in temperature, because it's running at a high frequency and actually doing something
  • And since the core(s) handling the idle tasks are now hotter than the rest of the processor, the CPU temperature reporting value is reading that.
Use something like HWiNFO to look at the overall picture, as it reads the temperature data for all of the cores, the I/O IC, and the die average.
My CPU is always boosting, maybe Zen 3 is like that? Nothing like this happened to me with Zen+.
Temps rn:
View: https://imgur.com/a/XCodkY1

Reactions: KaiserV
"Idle" is pretty stretchy term, I wouldn't call it true idle unless CPU usage is 1-2% and all cores but 1 are in sleep mode. So that temperature is not very relevant. With liquid cooling it would help for pump to work faster or even 100% and air cooled, fans somewhat faster at start.
Ryzen 5000 series have leeway up to 90c for boost to work properly without heat related throttling.

Aug 24, 2022
5600x is a pretty mild chip.

To rule out your case, you can run the test with the side panel off, and see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Other than that, likely cooler isn't getting the right amount of pressure on the chip. How confident are you in the install?
I tried with the side panel open, no change.
I'm sure it's installed correctly.

Aug 24, 2022
I wouldn't worry about a max temperature of 65C, certainly not enough to warrant the hassle of a clean install of Windows.
I think there is something wrong with my windows.
when i turn on my pc, windows does a scan on the drive.
It started right after I changed my cpu and motherboard.

the process is repeated every time i turn on the pc
First check system files by running "SFC /SCANNOW" in Command prompt (As administrator). reboot and run again if anything found.

Aug 24, 2022
I already did it, it didn't work but I can confirm that it was windows.
temps: "idle" 36 - 39. I was playing RD2 and temps were at 43 - 45 degrees (Ryzen Master)
I don't know exactly how I "fixed" it, but I was doing some stress tests and then the CPU dropped to 2 - 3% usage.
Thanks a lot guys for helping me

Solution