Question Ryzen 5 5600x Hot temps?

Sep 1, 2022
We all know that ryzens are hot chips and seen the posts about ryzen5600x, 5700x , 3700x hot temps, etc.
But why is that, is the wraith stealth cooler that came with my 5600x bad, not good enought, for reference i mainly do gaming, and flightsim, i get around 80s C max in R6 but in the new msf2020 the cpu reaches as high as 90ºC
I have a pbo undervolt of minus 15 and my case is NOX Hummer ZS , i have two fans, one at the back and one at the top to serve as exhaust and one pulling in hair from the front, despite the case just having a small side mesh panel on the sides, the center is flat plastic. Should i invest in a new cooler, i have and old 212 evo that i use for an old fx8320 i have, although that cooler doesnt support am4 theres a way to allign two holes and just use those, instead of the four.
I also used a cooler box master E501 L but despite that case having better airflow since it has a mesh front panel with two fans, my experiments lead to believe that didnt make any difference in actuall temps. One can exhaust more air, another can pull more air, leads the same way, the ryzen still pulls 80ºC +.
Im thinking of maybe buying a new cooler, maybe a Wraith Prism or a new evo or something along those lines.
The cpu also idles around 50 to 60ºC.

Video Of AM3 cooler in AM4 Board:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBWx3OjHlY&t=144s

My case:
https://www.infocomputerportugal.com/caja-semitorre-atx-nox-hummer-zs.html

MB :MSI Tomahawk Max II B450
CPU : Ryzen 3 5600x
GPU: Radeon RX 6600

The weird thing is 5 min of Prime 95 and Cinebench Below 80ºC Fine, 5 min of R6 Benchmark and MSF2020 = 80ºC and 80+.

Last edited:

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The Wraith Stealth is behind the times - or rather, downdraft coolers are.
In the cases of old, side panels having vents were more common. Now it's a bunch of glass: in the name of aesthetics, a downdraft cooler's primary source of cool air has been blocked off.
Gpus using blower coolers were also more common in builds. They dumped the heat out the back of the PC. The open air ones dump it all inside the PC.

In short, there's no side air intake being supplied to the Wraith, and it 'cools down' on the air coming out of the gpu when you are playing.
Solution is a new cooler.

old 212 evo that i use for an old fx8320 i have, although that cooler doesnt support am4
Uhh, couldn't you just contact Cooler Master for an AM4 bracket? Then again, it might cost more than it's worth; if something like a Vetroo V5 is available to you, get that and call it a day.

Sep 1, 2022
The Wraith Stealth is behind the times - or rather, downdraft coolers are.
In the cases of old, side panels having vents were more common. Now it's a bunch of glass: in the name of aesthetics, a downdraft cooler's primary source of cool air has been blocked off.
Gpus using blower coolers were also more common in builds. They dumped the heat out the back of the PC. The open air ones dump it all inside the PC.

In short, there's no side air intake being supplied to the Wraith, and it 'cools down' on the air coming out of the gpu when you are playing.
Solution is a new cooler.

Uhh, couldn't you just contact Cooler Master for an AM4 bracket? Then again, it might cost more than it's worth; if something like a Vetroo V5 is available to you, get that and call it a day.
Yeah, i looked into the buying a AM4 bracket online from Cooler Master online, its 9.99 eur plus the shipping off course, i couldnt find am4 brackets at my local stores, might buy a new cooler for sure, something similiar to the evo, maybe an artic freezer or maybe the evo 212 black even. A new cooler is for sure. The wraith prism in my mind if im going to buy a new cooler might as well buy an evo 212 or something like that for a few bucks more.

Normal with PBO and X series chips.
A better cooler would let it pull even more.
The cooler you can keep Ryzen the faster it will boost and pull more power.
Threw a Pure Rock 2 on mine .
-29 curve ofset,unlimited power settings lets it pull 85watts with higher peaks.
Runs 4.65ghz for 1-4 core boost and 4.5 ghz all core boost.
Extra performance costs extra watts.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
We all know that ryzens are hot chips and seen the posts about ryzen5600x, 5700x , 3700x hot temps, etc.
That's wrong on so many levels. 90% of those posts are about hot idle temps because posters assume that Ryzen cpus are supposed to behave like Intels and have the same temps at idle as Intels, so when they see 40°-60°C idle, they freak out, but are clueless about the fact that that's perfectly normal.

PBO has zero affect on Ryzens behaving within Ryzen specs. The Only thing PBO does is raise default power and amperage limits and Allow the possibility of the cpu to reach beyond default limits. Ryzens boost according to loads, temps and voltages. A 65w cpu will max out at 65w used, regardless of those 3 factors. Enabling PBO raises that limit, so if temps or loads or voltages are low enough the cpu can boost upto 200MHz over stock limits and that requires more power.

If you hit 80°C without PBO enabled, enabling PBO does absolutely nothing, cpu will not allow extra power usage, temps are already too high.

65w output in heat is CHUMP CHANGE compared to the 250w+ capable by top tier Intels. The only reason ppl assume Ryzen run hot is because stress tests are not considered normal usage for a cpu, and the stock cooler was not designed to try and keep a cpu at under 70°C while under stress test loads.

Best cooler for a 65w Ryzen is Deepcool AK-400. Best for PBO levels is Arctic eSports Duo or Deepcool AK-620.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech