[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x or Intel i7 10700k

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hi! Im sorry i have to open a new thread but new stuff has happened regarding my 2021 build...

I was heasitating between the 5600x and the 10600k but looking a local stores i see theres no much of a difference between 5600x and 10700k
I will be running both of them with hyper 212 evo

So i asked you guys once again , what should i buy...

The main use for this PC will be work. It has to be good with Ubuntu and linux based softwares. I dont want to be troubleshoting an AMD system and i know Intel is best in compatibility
Also i think an 8/16 would be more future proof than the 6/12 5600x but then you see those benchs and its all doubt.

thanks in advance!

As for cooling solutions, the Hyper212 EVO was considered marginal for a 7700K if I recall correctly. (Not sure I'd trust it to adequately keep cool either of your choices, but, if you already have it, you can test it yourself...)

The gaming benchmarks seem to indicate 6c/12t is indeed 'enough' for gaming, but, if buying now, as long as the price jump was not exorbitant, I doubt anyone would argue against 8 cores/16 threads, and, the extra threads/cores would certainly come in handy for the gaming live streamers. (Many folks have been claiming 8 cores would be 'almost mandatory in six months' time' for even basic games for at least 3.5 years or so...)

I´ve seen Jay´s video but the new tech of the 5600x remains tempting to me...
Inspite of AMDs new tech, the 10700k is slightly better in non gaming tasks compared to the 5600x, also the extra cores and threads will server you longer. AMD has better upgradability ofcourse.
So, since your primary use case is "work", the extra cores and threads of 10700k will serve you better.

xpLoaDeD

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Im planning on running any of those with the hyper 212 and i wont be doing any OC neither on the 5600x or 10700k

The only feeling holding me back is that "im buying older tech by buying a 10700k"

But also i dont want to be flashing bios and dealing with issues with the new and green Zen 3 5600x

"I dont want to be troubleshooting an AMD system and i know Intel is best in compatibility"

Best in compatibility on what? This isn't 2005. AMD systems are totally amazing now and the only thing you have to do is flash the BIOS on a B550 and put a Ryzen 5000 in that and done. If the box says "Ryzen 5000 ready" you won't even have to flash the BIOS.

Mar 24, 2021
Surprised no one mentioned PCIe 4.0

If you can wait for the 11th gen Intels you could make use of faster SSDs. AMD vs. Intel isn't as easy to choose between anymore. All of the benchmarks have AMD ahead now and I feel like I'd wait for 11th gen if I were leaning Intel.

If PCIe 4.0 doesn't matter (you won't really notice a difference in speed) the i9-10850k is definitely a better choice over the 5600x, but what about a 5800x for about $50 more?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021
$150 more? Huh I'm seeing different prices then. Really depends on the deals you can find; What other components you are working with. If it's just down to those 2 then you have to consider the extra cores in the 10850k. That's why I think the consensus is to go Intel. I read an article on here about the performance comparison.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-vs-intel-cpus

Do you stream while gaming? Will those extra cores come in handy for work? 10 cores vs. 6 seems like more value for the money. The 10850 will also clock higher. The 5600X is more efficient if that is a concern. In benchmarks it looks like the 5600X performs better in single threaded while the 10850 wins in multithreaded, but in the real world will you notice that difference?

Either way they both seem great, but I think most will say the i9 is more bang for your buck. As for PCIe 4 I think the difference is more if you're thinking about getting a gen 4 ssd. There are a lot of articles about PCIe 3 vs 4 you can check out. I'm not really enough an an expert to know what difference it will make when developers make use of it for graphics.

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
I’ll be playing games like Fortnite. My RAM speed is 3600 MHz. I stream lightly. My i7-7700k can achieve streaming. But I think it’s time to upgrade for me. What do you mean by efficient? Out of which will I get better performance and temps?

Mar 24, 2021
efficient=consume less power

I have a 3900X that doesn't get hot at all. From what I read I think the 5000 series runs hotter. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10850k runs hotter than a 5600X. I could be wrong but I'm sure someone has tested it. Your Kraken should be great for either. Ryzen 5-6 core vs a i9-10 core though. The i9 is supposed to be higher performance model and thus it makes sense it would get hotter.

It's hard to know how real world performance will go. Many gamers tend to prioritize FPS and turn down graphics settings. I don't think the difference will be noticeable if you built both systems and played Fortnite on them. Maybe you get a few more FPS on one. Does your monitor even display faster than 60fps?
Are you keeping the same graphics card you have now? I'm guessing you'll also have to upgrade your motherboard. If so which has the features you want? Check the prices on that and it may make the decision for you. You may get a better deal that way and if you lower the total cost that's more for other upgrades. Also another trick is to flip a coin. If you are upset with the result then it reveals a deeper desire. That way you can be happier with your final choice.

In the end you should do what makes you happy. If you will be ultimately more happy with an Intel system then stick with it. If you've been wanting to try AMD go for it. Ask your friends and see what they think. When you upgrade you want your friends to be impressed which will make you feel better about it.

If you need more help deciding let's price this thing out. What prices are we looking at for CPU + motherboard? I saw someone post an i7-11700k 3.6GHz for $418 which doesn't seem bad, but I don't know what prices you are seeing for the 5600X and 10850k.

Last edited:

mxnty

Prominent
Mar 4, 2021
so, 5600X + mobo is $619. 10850k + mobo is $620. I currently have a prebuilt. I plan to put a 3080 in the build. mobos are Strix X570-E and Z490-E. What would be the best choice in your opinion? I could impress my friends with either CPU. I want both the same amount. How do more cores affect performance? originally, I was going for the 5600X and then I saw this at the same price at a discount.

Mar 24, 2021
More cores appear to your OS as additional processors. So it will be able to process multiple tasks at the same time. Otherwise a task waits until a core is available. There are always background tasks going on if you look at the task manager. Also some games/programs are optimized for multiple threads so they will run better the more cores you have (2 threads per core).

It's a tough decision and more personal preference. When playing a game you aren't going to see a big difference. But you might have discord, streaming, a web browser, etc. all going at the same time which is why many seem to prefer the 10850k. Although you could use your old pc for streaming while gaming on the new one. I don't think the i7-7700k is done yet. It's only a few years older. If I had a vote I'd say hold on and see what a couple years brings. Graphics cards are insane right now anyway. I'd be thinking either A) wait to get the same performance setup for less $ in a few years or B) Get better tech in the future for the same $ in a few years. Either way it's overkill for today's games and you'll be rewarded with better options by waiting.

But it's your $ and your choice. Are you building or buying from a site? If it's from a site they might be able to guide you. Maybe check in the Asus forums to see anyone is having problems with either of the boards. Not to say you'll have the same problem, but perhaps a common issue. A Z490 board is older than the X570 and Z590 so that's something to consider. The Z490 won't have PCIe 4.0 out of the three.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.