[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600X skips BIOS but boots Windows 10 ?

teavver

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Hello,

I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 3 3100 to a Ryzen 5 5600X. After updating the BIOS to the newest version and swapping CPUs I noticed that I can't get into BIOS. If I spam Delete key, the keyboard lights up, fans spin etc. but my monitors show 'No signal'. It stays like that until I reboot, and then, if I choose not to press Delete again, windows 10 boots normally.

I still have the old Ryzen 3 3100 so I tried getting into the BIOS with that (after the BIOS update) - and that works just fine.

I don't think it's a graphics/monitor issue, but I might be wrong on that.
My BIOS mode is UEFI and my Windows 10 Partition is GPT

Just to clarify - If i try to get into the BIOS my 'EZDebug' LED on the Mobo goes through all the stages with the newer CPU - cpu -> dram -> vga -> boot, and stays stuck on the boot one with no signal on the monitors.

Here are my full specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
G. Skill Aegis 2x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16
GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix
BIOS version: 7A38vBE1(Beta version) - I've tried another one, a bit older, which also claims to support ryzen 5 series - same issue.

Things I've already tried based off of similar problems found online, with the same CPU:
  • Fast startup in Power Options is OFF
  • Updated BIOS to the newest release using MFLash
  • Cleared the CMOS
  • Swapped the CPU to the old one (bios works fine)
  • Tried multiple GPU ports and cable inputs (DP, HDMI, DVI)
  • Waiting for the BIOS to load for 15+ minutes (at first I thought it's normal and could take a longer while)
Sorry for my poor english skills - it's my second language.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Thanks for the reply, Colif.

Turns out all I had to do was spam F1 for the 'first time setup' after resetting the CMOS battery instead of the Delete key.

Edit: side note - My bios now only runs on my second monitor, which is connected through HDMI 2.0, it won't run if my main monitor is connected with the DP cable.

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. Choose UEFI firmware Interface
PC should restart and put you in the UEFI

teavver

Prominent
Jul 3, 2020
Thanks for the reply, Colif.

Turns out all I had to do was spam F1 for the 'first time setup' after resetting the CMOS battery instead of the Delete key.

Edit: side note - My bios now only runs on my second monitor, which is connected through HDMI 2.0, it won't run if my main monitor is connected with the DP cable.

Last edited:
Solution