Question Ryzen 5 5600x temps are pretty high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Hello everyone! I come to you in a time of great need.
I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 2700x to a Ryzen 5 5600x.
Since AMD's stock cooler isn't that great and I was working on a budged, I've bought the Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V3.

Well...
I don't even want to think about what kind of temperatures I would be getting if I were using the stock cooler.
With the Gamaxx GTE V3 on idle I'm getting between 38°C - 45°C which is pretty reasonable since I live in a hot place but while playing Call of Duty: MW2 2022 the cpu is reaching 80°C which is way higher than what I was expecting.
My pc has decent air flow with 3 Deepcool 120mm fans on front, 3 on top and 1 on the rear.
I'm using the thermal paste that came along with the Gamaxx GTE V3.

I've tried undervolting using PBO2 on my Aorus X570 Elite BIOS and I'm still getting those high temps while gaming.

Is there something else that I can do to lower these temps? I've been thinking of switching the thermal paste for some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

My rig composed of:

Aorus x570 Elite Wifi
Ryzen 5 5600x
2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz
Gigabyte RTX 3080
m.2 nvme XPG GAMMIX S70 Blade 1tb
XPG Core Reactor 750w

The following is an image of my pc:

Whats-App-Image-2023-03-06-at-13-20-08.jpg

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Your gaming temps are within normal operation parameters and you are not thermally throttling. You are fine and do not need a new cooler.

If you want to change the cooler this is about as good as it gets for air and at a great price;

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Cooler-Heatpipes-Towers-Cooling/dp/B09RWVV3XZ?th=1

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

Thank you so much for your reply!

I know this cpu can handle 80°C and indeed it isn't showing any sign of thermal throttling but 80°C still seems like a lot. With the Ryzen 7 2700x I would hardly reach 65°C. I did not expected the Ryzen 5 5600x temps to be this high.

Btw I've just removed the glass from the front of my pc case and guess what? I've spent 30 minutes playing MW2 2022 and the max temp I've reached is 72°C.
I'll switch the current thermal paste (the one which came along with the Deepcool cpu cooler) for some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut . I expect at least 70°C as max temp with that and if that happens I'll call it a win.

The case can handle an AIO but it's not ideal for one. The front of the case is the optimal position for an AIO. The glass front as it is in this case design, restricts air flow.

You can put an AIO on the top but it's not as efficient. When placing it on the front it can't get enough airflow due to the front panel glass front to function to it's maximum efficiency.

I went with an AIO in a build a few years ago. Yes, it has worked fine but will have to replace it in the next year or two. AIO's do not last forever. When I upgrade that pc from a 3800x to a 5800x the Corsair AIO is coming out and a Deepcool 500 is going in.

Once again, the OP's temps are within normal operating limits. It's fine.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
whats happening is your 3080 is dumping its waste heat into the chassis and your case airflow is unable to remove the heated air either through exhaust or displacement by fresh air. this then causes cpu temps to increase regardless of what cooler you put on your 5600x. with that said, keeping the front panel off or getting a new case that is airflow optimized will be the best course of action for reducing temps. 80c isnt great, but it isnt terrible either.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
whats happening is your 3080 is dumping its waste heat into the chassis and your case airflow is unable to remove the heated air either through exhaust or displacement by fresh air. this then causes cpu temps to increase regardless of what cooler you put on your 5600x. with that said, keeping the front panel off or getting a new case that is airflow optimized will be the best course of action for reducing temps. 80c isnt great, but it isnt terrible either.

Thanks for your reply. What you said makes sense.
What pc case would you recommend? In terms of airflow optimization. I'm not willing to switch for an aio solution.

If I recall the zen 3 cpus can go up to 95 so you are probably fine. It seems like those are a lot more aggressive than the older zen cpus about boosting, trying to get more performance. You should be fine.

That said getting a case with better airflow certainly won’t hurt.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Thanks for your reply. What you said makes sense.
What pc case would you recommend? In terms of airflow optimization. I'm not willing to switch for an aio solution.

Corsair 4000D airflow with some arctic p12 fans would be a good budget option. Lian li lan cool 216 is another great choice. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the fractal torrent is another great choice. There's a non rbg and a rgb version too depending on if you want rgb or not.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Hi everyone. I want to thank you all for taking your time and helping me with this issue.

Thanks to you guys I've managed to reduce the cpu temperatures!

Basically I've followed these steps:

1. I removed the front glass panel from the pc case.

2. Switched the thermal paste from the one that came along with the cpu cooler(Deepcool Gammaxx GTE V3) for the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

3. I've noticed that the cpu cooler fan was reaching 1555 rpm when in fullspeed and I had some sparing fans from a dead AIO a once had. Their max rpm are above 2000. So I've replaced the original cpu fan for the one from the AIO.

4. And last but not least, I've removed the first fan from above the cpu cooler. Now there are only 2 fans on the top of my pc, right above the cpu fan.

Annd that's it! While playing MW2 2023 the max temp the cpu has reached is 63°C. That's way lower than the 80°C.

Thank you all again! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.