[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 5600x vs Ryzen 7 5700G?

dipakmdhrm

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
I'll have to buy a GPU with 5600X (21K INR), probably GT1030 (8K INR) to match 5700G's GPU performance (32.5K).

So I am confused about the CPU productivity performance.

5700G gives me 2 extra cores and 1MB more L2 cache (4mb vs 1mb).
But 5600X has double the L3 cache (32MB vs 16MB) and has PCIE 4.0 support

How should these CPU differences impact my decision?

My use case: Dual-boot setup. Programming with VSCODE (heavy file indexing), Docker, VirtualBox in Linux. Casual gaming (mostly Assassin's Creed) in Windows.

Solution
I'll have to buy a GPU with 5600X (21K INR), probably GT1030 (8K INR) to match 5700G's GPU performance (32.5K).

My use case: Dual-boot setup. Programming with VSCODE (heavy file indexing), Docker, VirtualBox in Linux. Casual gaming (mostly Assassin's Creed) in Windows.

Only you know how painful the 3.5K delta is but I'd go for more cores. Intel seems invested in the idea too, now, so the computing world is only going to follow more eagerly with using all the resources they can...

Only you know how painful the 3.5K delta is but I'd go for more cores. Intel seems invested in the idea too, now, so the computing world is only going to follow more eagerly with using all the resources they can. IMO a coder should be able to fully understand how his product performs on the two most popular core capacities...6/12 thread as well as 8/16. You can reduce cores to test with fewer...but not so easy the other way around.

This might help give you some thoughts to help decide...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4UrCRp1pI

Last edited:
Solution

Prateek Bhardwaj

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
With the market as it is I think 8k for a 1030 will be a waste, so you should go along with 5700g. There is not that much difference between Vega 8 and 1030. I would suggest you go with the APU and later down the line buy a good GPU if needed. The performance of 5700G, I think outmatches the 5600x.

There is also the second hand market if you have no issues with refurbished or used. Personally I have used refurbished GPUs before and had no issues. But I will not suggest it to everyone. :)

dipakmdhrm

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
I’d go 5600x for PCIE4
What real-world benefits would PICE4 would give me over PCIE3?
Only you know how painful the 3.5K delta is but I'd go for more cores. Intel seems invested in the idea too, now, so the computing world is only going to follow more eagerly with using all the resources they can. IMO a coder should be able to fully understand how his product performs on the two most popular core capacities...6/12 thread as well as 8/16. You can reduce cores to test with fewer...but not so easy the other way around.

This might help give you some thoughts to help decide...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4UrCRp1pI
I am leaning towards more cores as well, but I am confused whether the inferior PCIE3 & lower L3 cache would come back to bite me in the bums.
With the market as it is I think 8k for a 1030 will be a waste, so you should go along with 5700g. There is not that much difference between Vega 8 and 1030. I would suggest you go with the APU and later down the line buy a good GPU if needed. The performance of 5700G, I think outmatches the 5600x.

There is also the second hand market if you have no issues with refurbished or used. Personally I have used refurbished GPUs before and had no issues. But I will not suggest it to everyone. :)
That's what I am thinking too. Also, I don't mind used/refurbished GPU but coming across even those is as rare as Halley's Comet these days.

What real-world benefits would PICE4 would give me over PCIE3?

I am leaning towards more cores as well, but I am confused whether the inferior PCIE3 & lower L3 cache would come back to bite me in the bums.
Very, very little benefit has been seen from PCIe 4 and there are many reviews and comparisons. GPU's just don't gain any bottom line benefit as seen with improved gaming FPS; even PCIe gen 2 doesn't hurt enough to notice. The benefit to NVME drives (SATA isn't affected at all) is in sequential data transfers and that's just not how Windows works or the way people and applications use most drives. If you spend your compute time copying and moving multi-gigabyte files from one drive to another it can matter, but that's about it.

The L3 cache reduction is definitely a hit to compute performance. The reviews illustrate that but also that it's still a good CPU and it's the 8 cores that matter. The cache...and performance...reduction is in relation to the 5800X or 5600X CPU's of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorsai

TRENDING THREADS