buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi

Looking to buy a Dell Inspiron laptop. Mostly just for uni work and maybe some light gaming. More than anything want a quick experience but also a laptop that will last for many years.

With that said, is the extra ££ for the ryzen 7 here worth it? Weirdly you can only choose 16gb of ram with the ryzen 5 option. Is that a better route ?

The 7 is not only locked to 8gb but also single channel. Beside that, the rest of the specs are the same. So it's £700 for the ryzen 5 with 16gb dual channel ram or the ryzen 7 with 8gb single channel. Thoughts?

Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
A higher spec'd part will definitely last you a longer while compared to it's lower tier brethren. If you have the funds, get the Ryzen 7 equipped Dell laptop. Mind sharing a link to both laptops in your shortlist? Also, what sort of apps will you be taxing the laptop with? Please mention the games you would like to play without adding an etc. in that sentence.

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
A higher spec'd part will definitely last you a longer while compared to it's lower tier brethren. If you have the funds, get the Ryzen 7 equipped Dell laptop. Mind sharing a link to both laptops in your shortlist? Also, what sort of apps will you be taxing the laptop with? Please mention the games you would like to play without adding an etc. in that sentence.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

Heres the link to the laptop. Its setup up very weirdly as there are two options for "New Inspiron 14" under the model section. For a little bit less (for the ryzen 7 5700U its currently at around £630) I can get the 'older' model which just has the previous generations of ryzen 5 and 7s on them.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/new-inspiron-14/spd/inspiron-14-5425-laptop/cn54406sc

At the moment seems the ryzen 7 5825U option is at about £674

Apps wise, to be honest not much. Mostly just have lots of PDFs and tabs open as I do research with lots of different research articles on the go at once.

Gaming wise, probably nothing too new. GTA 5, Halo MCC, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, FIFA. Not a big deal but maybe Horizon Zero Dawn though I realise that's probably going to push it but not that bothered really. What I'm mostly looking for out of this is a good all rounder, that can hack lots of multi-tasking, is light, can play some of the games I have (but not a deal breaker if not) and most importantly will last a long time and not start to slow down as it gets on too much (future proof, for a while at least). Hope that makes sense

Thanks!

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013

I found this Lenovo with a ryzen 7 for about £430 with a student discount I get. Seems a crazy good deal. This a good bet you reckon?

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/gbeducation/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-14ARE05/p/82LM0092UK

For some reason, none of the links work for me. My suggestion is if you are not planning on gaming much, then the cheaper one is the best out of the Dells, I don't know what the specs of the Lenovo. Also look at your ram usage and buy accordingly.

TRENDING THREADS