[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 Annoying Fan

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
My fiance did her first build. The only problem is the fan on the Wraith Spire. My R7 has one and it is nowhere neat this annoying. Temps are OK as most she plays is Sims 4. I will install GTA V on it later and take it for a test drive. I am out of the loop on cooling this thing.

I am told put a Wraith Prism on it. (would honestly do if it has a cooling benefit). The Noctura NH-U12S TR4-SP3 looks promising as well. Will either of them work and give good stable temps?

I also am told the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B or 212 Evo (I hated installing that thing). Whats funny is I have a True Spirit 120M sitting around but I doubt it is compatible (6 years old).

Her only rule is no water and no cannons (like the huge Noctura)

Thanks.

Solution
you can contact Thermalright for an AM4 bracket. many of their coolers got revised for it. they may send you one for free or charge you a small amount of it --- way less than a U12S costs.

the NH-U12S TR4-SP3 won't be compatible since it's made for threadripper's TR4 socket.

the Wraith Prism is a bit better than the Wraith Spire. You could try it. it's not day and night, but it might just be enough.

A Scythe Mugen or any bigger Noctua heatsink is probably overkill, a smaller cooler like a Scythe Kotetsu, Cryorig H7 or anything in the 30-40$ bracket should do fine
you can contact Thermalright for an AM4 bracket. many of their coolers got revised for it. they may send you one for free or charge you a small amount of it --- way less than a U12S costs.

the NH-U12S TR4-SP3 won't be compatible since it's made for threadripper's TR4 socket.

the Wraith Prism is a bit better than the Wraith Spire. You could try it. it's not day and night, but it might just be enough.

A Scythe Mugen or any bigger Noctua heatsink is probably overkill, a smaller cooler like a Scythe Kotetsu, Cryorig H7 or anything in the 30-40$ bracket should do fine

Reactions: noluck4
Solution

noluck4

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
It holds 84-85 degrees with 10 minutes on Prime95 so I think the cooling is adequate but could be better. My neighbor offered my $50 for the board the Thermalright is on. That's good cooler money for an ancient board.

We are thinking of going in what we can get locally. She likes the idea of "future-ability". If money is no option Which would you get?

The 212 Back RGB- she likes. I had one hated mounting it, loved using it.
The NH-U12A - I can have one here saturday. It looks like a more expensive 212.
The NH-U14S - Digging how it looks.

I think I got enough room for the U12a or the 212.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS