Question Ryzen 5 build not booting

Dec 17, 2019
I am having issues with booting up my newly built PC.

Here is the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vy9CL
I completed putting the build together and I am seeing the red LED for CPU on the motherboard - indicating something related to the CPU is the problem. Prior to building, I posted in regard to the compatibility warning from the pcpartpicker link and was told that as long as I’m not over clocking it shouldn’t be an issue. I was also told that the BIOS didn’t need to be updated or whatever on this board which was one of the main reasons to get it. Should I just get a new motherboard? Should I get a PSU with the extra 4 pin connector?
Has anyone had a similar build or issue? I’ve reconnected everything and am at a high frustration point. I am a noob at this so if you reply and say ‘flash the bios’ just explain what that means. I’ve looked it up and still really don’t understand it.

Dec 17, 2019
You could always try updating the bios anyways. I had the same problem and that fixed it for me. If you have another cpu that works with the motherboard or could borrow one from someone you can get into the bios and then use a usb stick to upgrade the bios, and then try with ur cpu again.

Dec 17, 2019
You could always try updating the bios anyways. I had the same problem and that fixed it for me. If you have another cpu that works with the motherboard or could borrow one from someone you can get into the bios and then use a usb stick to upgrade the bios, and then try with ur cpu again.

thank you, I will try that tomorrow.
One other stupid question - if I don’t have the CPU cooler installed and plugged in, would that be an issue? Stupid question cause I assume the obvious answer is that it isn’t an issue but have never used an AMD chip before.

Dec 17, 2019
Starting the PC without a CPU cooler can damage the CPU in a matter of a couple of seconds.

Even under no load?

to elaborate, the sequence of events upon trying my first boot after assembly:

- pushed power button, did not boot. DRAM red LED was lit up on motherboard. Only the DRAM square was lit up. Turned out that the RAM was not pushed in all the way.

-once I fixed the RAM, I booted it up again. The Red CPU LED was lit up.. it then seemed like the PC restarted and it went away and I actually got something on my monitor.. it asked if I wanted to enter set up or some other option. I hit Del to enter setup and the screen then went blank. And the PC restarted itself.

-it then, when turned on, would just enter a restart cycle with no display on the monitor and with the red LED for CPU lit up.

- after doing some reading I then decided that I should confirm that the CPU is installed properly. So I took the cooler off carefully and confirmed that it was installed properly. I then turned it on without the cooler as the screws that hold the cooler down fell into the case.. so I figured I’d at least try to see if it would boot before I took the mobo out to get the screws back in place.. but figured I’d ask to see if it would boot without the fan anyway.

As a sidenote to the other responses, I'd mention that you put together a fine system with the exception of the power supply. Rosewill is not noted for making exceptional PSU's. They have a few that are ok but the Photon is not one of them. Made by Sirfa (Sirtec) is not exactly a claim to fame. You should return it and get something more reliable for your new system.

JG Photon Review

Recommended Power Supplies

Reactions: Bp1025
Dec 17, 2019
You will certainly fry the CPU if you boot without the cooler.... Especially with the new Ryzen CPUs....

wow.. thanks for the info. I had no idea, obviously.. now I wonder if this will be the underlying issue. I guess it’s possible that the one semi-successful start where it displayed something and then turned off was it frying? I can’t remember now if the cooler was on or off.

I have the latest BIOS on a flash drive that I will use to flash the BIOS tomorrow. I’ll try that and then see if there is any progress.

Dec 17, 2019
Yes you could have fried your CPU in seconds. Watching a full build video or asking a friend to supervise the build is a good thing to do. I hope you did not fry that CPU. Let us know!

update: got a brand new chip - same issue with the CPU LED lit up on the motherboard. So my thought was that it was not fried.

after reading some of the difficulties people had flashing their BIOS and potentially causing more damage to their board, I decided not to try that. My plan is to bring everything to a local computer repair guy for him to give it a once-over and confirm everything looks good.. if it looks good, I’ll have him flash the BIOS or diagnose whatever the issue is and fix it.

will update when I have new news.

Dec 17, 2019
update: got a brand new chip - same issue with the CPU LED lit up on the motherboard. So my thought was that it was not fried.

after reading some of the difficulties people had flashing their BIOS and potentially causing more damage to their board, I decided not to try that. My plan is to bring everything to a local computer repair guy for him to give it a once-over and confirm everything looks good.. if it looks good, I’ll have him flash the BIOS or diagnose whatever the issue is and fix it.

will update when I have new news.

Computer repair guy is on vacation through Jan 5th. Ended up trying to flash BIOS on my own. Followed all the steps and the red LED blinked 3 times and then nothing happened. Hooked everything back up to power and tried again , same issue.

Dec 17, 2019
Computer repair guy is on vacation through Jan 5th. Ended up trying to flash BIOS on my own. Followed all the steps and the red LED blinked 3 times and then nothing happened. Hooked everything back up to power and tried again , same issue.

UPDATE in case anyone is still following or stumbles across this in a google search with the same issue: I brought the PC to the computer repair guy and by process of elimination, he was able to boot the system up with a different video card. So I am assuming mine was DOA and will be exchanging it for a new one.