[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 or 7?

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
Hello all,
I was just wondering which route I should go. I'm upgrading platforms. I'm wanting to move to the new Zen 2 from AMD. I used to stream, but gave that up. Now I just game and us my PC for homework. I'm in school for cyber security, so I'm using VMs every so often. I will be transferring my 1080ti to the new platform though. I play mostly competitive shooter games like CS, R6, OW, and also the occasional Skyrim or RPG game, so I do need my frames to be high for shooters. So my question is, could I go with the cheaper Ryzen 5? Or should I go with Ryzen 7? Would I actually see any benefits of spending the extra money for Ryzen 7/would Ryzen 5 bottleneck the 1080ti? Money is a concern, but not too terribly. Thanks in advance!

Solution
You will be fine with the Ryzen 5 3600. For just gaming I currently see no reason to go higher. Heck you could get away with a 2600 if you were in a pinch.

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
What components are you planning to replace and what is your budget? Expected amount to spend and top limit?
The components I'll be replacing are the MOBO, CPU, RAM, and case (moving from ATX to mini-ITX) and will be selling off the old stuff to recoup what I can. Honestly, I'm not really concerned with the budget. I know it sounds weird, I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I really don't need to worry about how much it costs, if that makes sense. Lol. Just need to spend the most for my use, which at the moment, will only be gaming and homework.

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
You will be fine with the Ryzen 5 3600. For just gaming I currently see no reason to go higher. Heck you could get away with a 2600 if you were in a pinch.
Okay. That's what I figured. Wasn't sure if it would bottleneck, but I'm sure, with the processors we have now on both AMD and Intel, I'm sure it's hard to actually bottleneck a GPU unless you really try. Lol. Yeah, I was just think of future proofing is why I was going to go with Zen 2. For the PCI 4.0 their mobos have. Cuz I have this pipe dream of creating an Ethereum mining rig and throwing my 1080 ti in it, since it's the Founders Edition I've had since launch. So she's got some years on her. Might upgrade to the 2080 ti down the road. Once I find out if the RTX issues with Overwatch are fixed yet or not...

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jnNBPn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($327.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($218.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower Case ($126.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $792.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 23:19 EDT-0400
You could go cheaper on the CPU but depends how long you want it to last. Gaming at 1080p is a more CPU intensive resolution. You could definitely go with a 3600 but if you don’t need to save that money I’d get the 3700x.

Okay. That's what I figured. Wasn't sure if it would bottleneck, but I'm sure, with the processors we have now on both AMD and Intel, I'm sure it's hard to actually bottleneck a GPU unless you really try. Lol. Yeah, I was just think of future proofing is why I was going to go with Zen 2. For the PCI 4.0 their mobos have. Cuz I have this pipe dream of creating an Ethereum mining rig and throwing my 1080 ti in it, since it's the Founders Edition I've had since launch. So she's got some years on her. Might upgrade to the 2080 ti down the road. Once I find out if the RTX issues with Overwatch are fixed yet or not...
I would skip RTX 2000 series. Wait and upgrade your GPU next year.

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($218.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
You could go cheaper on the CPU but depends how long you want it to last. Gaming at 1080p is a more CPU intensive resolution. You could definitely go with a 3600 but if you don’t need to save that money I’d get the 3700x.
Oh damn. Didn't think you would come back with a full list of parts. Lol. Thanks brother man! I've actually been using PCPartPicker myself for this and previous builds I've done for myself and my father for his music production. I'm actually going with the Thermaltake Core V1 case, as it's not as flashy, but has good airflow for being a mini-ITX. I'm an air cooler guy, so I'll be running the stock AMD cooler for a very short time before later upgrading to a low profile cooler from either Noctua or bequiet! I will be going for that same mobo though, I think it's the only one that available right now that isn't in the Asus ROG price range. Lol

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
I would skip RTX 2000 series. Wait and upgrade your GPU next year.
Seems like a lot of people are saying that. My buddy just picked up a 2080 ti recently and loves it. But he's a more casual player, rather than playing for frames like myself, so it makes sense for him to buy it. I was impressed with what AMD clapped back with this year in the 5700XT though. But I looked at the performance reviews from YT and other outlets, and it's slightly less than my 1080 ti as of now. So yeah, I think I'll take yours and everyone's advice in just waiting it out for another GPU release from both sides and see how Red and Blue turn out before upgrading the 1080 ti

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017

Oh yeah, other reason for going with the Core V1 is I'm a sucker for the small box cases you can just set on your desk next to you monitors. I'm weird I guess. Lol

All good, didn’t know if you had one picked out. Case is mostly preference, I just linked the top one out. I wouldn’t move on from a 1080 ti till next year. Nvidia is releasing new cards, AMD is releasing new cards and intel is launching new cards. Competition and pricing should be a lot better.

Seems like a lot of people are saying that. My buddy just picked up a 2080 ti recently and loves it. But he's a more casual player, rather than playing for frames like myself, so it makes sense for him to buy it. I was impressed with what AMD clapped back with this year in the 5700XT though. But I looked at the performance reviews from YT and other outlets, and it's slightly less than my 1080 ti as of now. So yeah, I think I'll take yours and everyone's advice in just waiting it out for another GPU release from both sides and see how Red and Blue turn out before upgrading the 1080 ti
I had an RTX 2080 ti for a few months. I leased it from Cutting Edge Gamer. I just wanted to test it out. I couldn't justify keeping it for the super high cost. The ray tracing performance is very poor. That's what I wanted to try was the ray tracing and dlss but it's nothing special at all. The implementation is so poor that the RT cores performing so badly drags down the performance of the entire card. Next year there will be much better ray tracing implementations. There is little reason to upgrade from a GTX 1080 ti unless you want ray tracing. Which is really nothing special anyway yet.

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
All good, didn’t know if you had one picked out. Case is mostly preference, I just linked the top one out. I wouldn’t move on from a 1080 ti till next year. Nvidia is releasing new cards, AMD is releasing new cards and intel is launching new cards. Competition and pricing should be a lot better.
Nah, you're good. Thanks for the suggestion though. I do like the look and airflow of the NZXT H series cases. But I'm wanting to shirk my setup on my desk, so I'm moving to smaller equipment. Lol. Yeah, I'm gonna wait. Even my Founder's Edition 1080 ti is still doing really well on fps in all games on 1440p right now. So I just need to see some upgrade from that from both sides before I think about buying new. Can't wait to see what they come up with since AMD is back in full swing and pushing the competition now

apexsutton31

Reputable
Sep 26, 2017
I had an RTX 2080 ti for a few months. I leased it from Cutting Edge Gamer. I just wanted to test it out. I couldn't justify keeping it for the super high cost. The ray tracing performance is very poor. That's what I wanted to try was the ray tracing and dlss but it's nothing special at all. The implementation is so poor that the RT cores performing so badly drags down the performance of the entire card. Next year there will be much better ray tracing implementations. There is little reason to upgrade from a GTX 1080 ti unless you want ray tracing. Which is really nothing special anyway yet.
Yeah, I remember the first reviews when games like Battlefield and Tomb Raider first started supporting ray tracing and seeing how bad it killed your overall fps. Seems like they pushed the feature before it could be fully utilized just to get sales through hype. But that could just be me. Lol. Oh yeah, that makes sense, now that it's here, there's nothing saying that they're not going to keep ray tracing on the cards going forward and make it better. Plus, isn't AMD coming out with the same feature or something close in their 5700 cards and future cards soon? So it'll be cool to see the competition on both fronts in their next releases for sure.