Question Ryzen 5 sudden idle temp change?

dakota.lapointe

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
Hi all, I recently noticed my temps spike while at idle but under load I believe they are still good.

I don't want to jump to the conclusion that it's my thermal paste because it was been working fine for many 6-7 months prior to this idle temp spike. I could be wrong but I have never had an issue applying thermal paste in the past.

I moniter my CPU & GPU temps at all times, even when not playing games. I recently upgraded from an ASUS GTX 1050-Ti to a Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming Oc, and about a week or two after installing new GPU I noticed the rise in my idle temps.

Ambient room temp is 22C and CPU used to idle around 29C-33C consistently. Recently I Idle at 39C-42C but my load temps are still normal and never surpass 55C.

My pump is running 100% at 3000rpm and fan set to 50%. I have a Rosewill Cullinan MX case with 1 120mm exhaust and 3 120mm intakes.

I have already checked and even when cpu is at complete idle or 3% usage max im sitting around 40 degrees, should I be worried or is it possible that the GPU is dumping hot air onto the CPU even when sitting at the desktop?

My cooler isn't the best but I don't understand why my temp increase is "all of the sudden"

Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much detail as I can.

My PC:
Rosewill Cullinan MX
Ryzen 5 2600
EVGA CLC 120
GIGABYTE RTX 2060 Gaming OC
8GB Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666

dakota.lapointe

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
UPDATE: I think it may be fixed but shortly after posting this I noticed that Hardware moniter showed up to 60% usage on cores 1 & 6. The second I open task manager my temps drop back down to 30 almost instantly and Cpu utilization is back around 3%. For a split second SoundMixer.exe showed as the highest cpu using application but almost instantaneously stops working as soon as TM is opened. Found and deleted the file in C:/Users/Username/Appdata/Roaming/Soundmixer and usage has gone down significantly as well as restoring idle temps to normal. Fixed for now, hopefully stays that way. I should have been looking at all core utilization instead of the one overall number given before you expand the usage tab.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure if deleting that file was the answer, but you should run malware and virus scans, as well as using something like iobit Uninstaller to find what that file was attached to and delete that too. There's many programs that are self repeating, they'll try and start and if they can't, they'll reinstall, which may put that soundmixer right back.
I'd also run ccleaner (piriform. com) and run a registry clean (default values) and a file clean to get rid of any other orphans attached to that file.