Ryzen 5 temperature issues

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I`m using a R5 1600,paired with the GA AB350 Gaming 3,using the stock Wraith Spire cooler.Also,I recently installed the latest Ryzen drivers(ver. 17.10 if I`m not mistaken) and started using the Ryzen Balanced power plan instead of High Performance,which I have previously been using.The issue is that my idle temps are way higher than they previously were.Before the latest drivers,I was hiting around 35 C when idling or doing basic activities.Now,even though they start at the same levels,the temps sit around 45,and keep gradually peaking at over 50.I thought that by setting the fan speed to 100% it will somewhat solve the issue,but in reality it seems having little to no effect.The CPU is kept at stock speeds.Ryzen Master,HWInfo and AIDA64 all show the same values,so I think it`s safe to assume that this isn`t just software showing incorrect values.Has anybody encountered this problem and what may be actually causing it?Could it be the latest drivers or some thing else entirely?Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
A 5min stress test isn't really going to tell you anything. You'll want to be watching that for an extended period of time (absolute minimum 30minutes IMO).

Even if you do top out at mid-60's, I'd still suspect soething is being captured incorrectly (albeit by different programs). An increase of only 10-15'C just isn't normal when comparing idle to stressed, unless you're operating some pretty crazy cooling solution.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I wouldn't worry too too much about idle temps, ultimately it's load temps that matter. Those do seem high, but without knowing how load looks, it's tough to judge.

With new drivers/BIOS/software, it's possible you were seeing incorrect readings previously - only now are you seeing accurate numbers.

Run a stress test and keep a close eye on temps. How do your load temps look?

ihatelag01

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016

Ran an AIDA64 stress test for 5 mins,and the max it hit was 64C,which is just a bit higher than what I was getting before(~60).Looks good so far,haven`t played any games yet,but I hope it sticks to similar diferences.I just may have panicked over nothing.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 5min stress test isn't really going to tell you anything. You'll want to be watching that for an extended period of time (absolute minimum 30minutes IMO).

Even if you do top out at mid-60's, I'd still suspect soething is being captured incorrectly (albeit by different programs). An increase of only 10-15'C just isn't normal when comparing idle to stressed, unless you're operating some pretty crazy cooling solution.

Solution

andrija_5

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017