[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 temps

Astro sco

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
I done a stress test on my cpu and the temp was maxing and sitting at 89 degrees is this normal and just with discord and the monitor open it jumps from 50-60

Solution
It is a ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler I've had it for a bit now and the problems just started where it Randomly shuts off
do a cmos reset. that often fixes up a lot of problems, especially if you've never done one or you've made lots of BIOS tweeks and might have left some.

89c may seem high but that was a stress test the stock cooler really isn't that great. Also check cooler mounting to be evenly tightened.

The spiking 'idle' temps are also pretty normal. Ryzen's constantly boosting a core at a time to finish a task as quickly as it can. It will spike a temp in that core when it does, and there are dozens of sensors all over the die and it reports the hottest one at the moment. It's not very significant, though, and ramps...
Oct 26, 2020
I done a stress test on my cpu and the temp was maxing and sitting at 89 degrees is this normal and just with discord and the monitor open it jumps from 50-60
No, while high temps of 50 -75 degrees is normal for a cpu under load it is not normal if there is no load or little load. I would suggest checking your cpu thermal sulution and heatsking mountings. Also your cpu lifespan is decreased when running hot so try to keep it in the 60-70 area.

It is a ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler I've had it for a bit now and the problems just started where it Randomly shuts off
do a cmos reset. that often fixes up a lot of problems, especially if you've never done one or you've made lots of BIOS tweeks and might have left some.

89c may seem high but that was a stress test the stock cooler really isn't that great. Also check cooler mounting to be evenly tightened.

The spiking 'idle' temps are also pretty normal. Ryzen's constantly boosting a core at a time to finish a task as quickly as it can. It will spike a temp in that core when it does, and there are dozens of sensors all over the die and it reports the hottest one at the moment. It's not very significant, though, and ramps right back down. Look at an average temp reading like that in HWinfo or Ryzenmaster to see the true thermal state.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Astro sco

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020

The spiking 'idle' temps are also pretty normal. Ryzen's constantly boosting a core at a time to finish a task as quickly as it can. It will spike a temp in that core when it does, and there are dozens of sensors all over the die and it reports the hottest one at the moment. It's not very significant, though, and ramps right back down. Look at an average temp reading like that in HWinfo or Ryzenmaster to see the true thermal state.
Yeah just the temp is high even tho it's a stress test which I'm guessing is how stressed it would be playing fivem and other high intensity games

Yeah just the temp is high even tho it's a stress test which I'm guessing is how stressed it would be playing fivem and other high intensity games
Probably not because the stress test is hitting all 6 cores/12 threads with a heavy, probably AVX, workload to stress it. Games hit only 3, 4 cores at most, with 3, or 4, threads. But only one very heavily and only occasional AVX instructions if any at all.

It's that one heavily loaded core that limits the performance of the CPU in a game. That's why single thread performance is so important for gaming.

Last edited: