Question Ryzen 5 to Ryzen 7 5800 Upgrade

Sep 1, 2022
My CPU was overheating and shutting down while playing normal games, so I bought thermal paste, a new CPU, and said why not and got a GTX 3050. After replacing my CPU, GPU, and ultimately breaking a pin on my old Ryzen 5 making it unusable, the PC will not display anything and the CPU light is a stable red. All fans work and the GPU lights up and works, but I cannot get any form of display.
My motherboard is a B350 Tomahawk that hasn’t had its BIOS updated in a while. I have a flash drive with the latest BIOS installed, but don’t think it’s possible to flash install with no display.
What should I do?

Sep 1, 2022
My CPU was overheating and shutting down while playing normal games, so I bought thermal paste, a new CPU, and said why not and got a GTX 3050. After replacing my CPU, GPU, and ultimately breaking a pin on my old Ryzen 5 making it unusable, the PC will not display anything and the CPU light is a stable red. All fans work and the GPU lights up and works, but I cannot get any form of display.
My motherboard is a B350 Tomahawk that hasn’t had its BIOS updated in a while. I have a flash drive with the latest BIOS installed, but don’t think it’s possible to flash install with no display.
What should I do?
The keyboard and mouse don’t light up either

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll need to update the bios. The B350 are not officially supportive of the 5000 series cpus, that was left upto the vendors. MSI B350 Tomahawk will support your cpu as of..
B350 TOMAHAWK7A34v1Q2

The B350 does not support bios flash without a cpu, so you'd need to put the prior cpu back in and hope it works enough to get into bios at least. Or use a donor cpu.

You'll be stuck on cpu debug until the bios is updated

Reactions: kurdtnz
Agreed. I’ve got a 5600x running in an Asrock ab350 pro 4 board, and there was a beta bios that supports the 5000 series. I needed my old ryzen 5 3600(I’d installed this a year or two ago). But in any event you’ll need a cpu the board recognizes. For a b350, if you’ve never updated the bios you’d probably need a 1000 series cpu. So you could borrow or buy one, then maybe resell it. However all things considered you may be ahead to buy a budget b550 board, but then you’d have to rip everything out and reinstall etc so up to you how much work you feel like doing.

What should I do?
It doesn't matter if it was Ryzen 5 or 7 but it's generation and you need a BIOS to match generation.
As that particular MB doesn't have ability to flash BIOS without CPU, you need some working compatible Ryzen to do it.

TRENDING THREADS