[SOLVED] Ryzen 5000 series pricing leading up to Zen 4

snowjunki

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from my 2700x to a 5900x.
Does anyone have any input regarding expected pricing, potential price drops between now and Q4 2022, or even into 2023 for Zen 3

I don't want to wait too long and lapse into obsolete cpu price inflation. Right now the 5900x is $500 cdn lowest price.

I've got a B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC. 32gb Trident Z 3600 mhz. Paired with a GTX 1070 which I'm going to wait and upgrade after next gen GPUs release.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Solution
prices never bottom out on last gen like we wish they would. i'd not expect them to drop much further than they are now. a sale here or there will likely happen but i don't expect a major drop.

when the new gen comes out, the price actually often goes up as new stock stops coming in and demand continues. it is hard to predict but the next couple months is likely the best we will see. i just bought a 5900x myself for $379 US. i don't foresee it getting much better than that :)

hell of a deal at current prices no matter what happens in the future!!
All I know is TSMC has announced another price increase for the silicon wafers AMD uses to make their CPU's. It's probably starting in 2023 but anticipation of it affects large consumers (like AMD/Apple/Nvidia) which drives costs throughout the semiconductor markets. Otherwise... it's anyone's guess.

I'm not sure what "obsolete price inflation" is, but it sounds like trying to predict the next rain fall by looking at how deep the well is. Historically the best policy has been to buy current tech when you need a new system, at a decent sale when you can, and don't try to anticipate price or performance of what's coming. In today's geo-business climate that's modified to also buy when you can avoid scalper's prices and right now scalper's aren't much of a factor. If you happen to come across a 5900X at a tremendous discount jump on it and upgrade now; but that's serendipity, not planned.

But for AMD it's more complicated since they use the same chiplets we'd get in our high-performance desktop CPU's in their extremely high priced server CPU's. When they're filling huge orders as companies Google and Microsoft are rolling out new data centers for cloud-based services, guess who get's the chiplets. So with TSMC raising prices...and allocating their production capacity...guess how AMD wants to roll. I don't think that factor was given enough weight during the crunch following the Ryzen 5000 launch.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowjunki

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
prices never bottom out on last gen like we wish they would. i'd not expect them to drop much further than they are now. a sale here or there will likely happen but i don't expect a major drop.

when the new gen comes out, the price actually often goes up as new stock stops coming in and demand continues. it is hard to predict but the next couple months is likely the best we will see. i just bought a 5900x myself for $379 US. i don't foresee it getting much better than that :)

hell of a deal at current prices no matter what happens in the future!!

Solution

snowjunki

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks for the replies. What I meant by obsolete price inflation is what you explained, skelpers and retailers raising prices on out of production chips. Expecting a lot of AM4 DDR4 owners to be looking for a 5000 series chip to extend the life of their rig.

I might as well get the 5900x now and try to get as much as I can flipping the 2700x.

Hoping the msi B450 bios flash works smoothly with the 5900x specifically

Thanks