Question Ryzen 5500U Stuck Clock Speeds/Voltages

Froilan48

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Hi!

I need some help on my Laptop. CPU clock speeds, voltages etc are stuck whenever I boot my W10. I will provide screenshots of HWINFO below so that you will have an idea, but TLDR - it’s always gonna be stuck unless i put my laptop to sleep then turn it on again. That’s the only time everything will go to normal; battery estimates get back to normal, voltages going low when idle, clock speeds etc.

Now, I literally tried everything; from updating the latest laptop BIOS, AMD chipset drivers, changing power plans (even though 5k series doesn’t need any power plans anymore, windows updates, laptop drivers etc. The only thing that fixes it is putting the laptop to sleep then turning it back on - which is ofc an inconvenience. Say I put my laptop to sleep for 2 or more hours it goes to hibernate then boots up again - which the problem with stuck voltages, speeds, battery drain returns.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I’d like to try them. Thank you.

Specs: Lenovo Thinkpad E15 (Gen 3), Ryzen 5500U, 16GB 3200MHz, SSD M.2 NVME 500GB

Attached below are the HWINFO screenshots when i first boot up the pc/long sleep and after i put the pc to sleep then turn it back on after a few seconds.

Stuck:
iBZCwgQ.png

Unstuck:
3aPelnf.png

i've had the same issue with Intel and AMD CPUs before.
and it has been both an issue with Windows itself where creating a new power plan would fix the issue.
and chipset/BIOS issue where resetting the BIOS and then re-entering my custom settings was the only way to allow C-States to function properly again.

if the Balanced Power Plan doesn't allow them to work you can try creating a new one based on that plan and then insert your own parameters for everything.
if it still doesn't function properly, try 'Load Optimized Defaults' in the BIOS and if you use any custom settings also reset them again.

Froilan48

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
i've had the same issue with Intel and AMD CPUs before.
and it has been both an issue with Windows itself where creating a new power plan would fix the issue.
and chipset/BIOS issue where resetting the BIOS and then re-entering my custom settings was the only way to allow C-States to function properly again.

if the Balanced Power Plan doesn't allow them to work you can try creating a new one based on that plan and then insert your own parameters for everything.
if it still doesn't function properly, try 'Load Optimized Defaults' in the BIOS and if you use any custom settings also reset them again.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried creating a new power plan, but still, it didn't work after a restart. Stuck clock speeds and voltages, and again putting the laptop to sleep and turning back it back on fixes it. Also, I'm not sure about the c-state functions, I already checked my BIOS and there's no option for that etc.

Froilan48

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
they are usually buried in power, CPU, devices, or some other sub menu of another option.

but just choosing to 'Load Optimized Defaults' is what it would require for manually disabling and re-enabling had never worked for me.
this option is usually located in the Exit page or by pressing F10.

Yep checked my BIOS again, load optimized defaults, scoured for CPU settings but it isn't there for this laptop. Still same.

it's also possible that there is some laptop manufacturer control software running that is affecting the C-States.
some will have "Gaming" or many other options in place that can alter power and CPU settings.
some will enable these types of settings without even alerting the user as some sort of "smart" control.

Froilan48

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
it's also possible that there is some laptop manufacturer control software running that is affecting the C-States.
some will have "Gaming" or many other options in place that can alter power and CPU settings.
some will enable these types of settings without even alerting the user as some sort of "smart" control.

I looked for that too. This one's a clean install W10 and debloated. No other junk, unnecessary apps installed. I also looked at my startup apps/services and see if there are anything that might mess with the power plan or whatever, but everything seems to be normal (and if that would be the case, the put to sleep and turning it back on fix might not work, right?)

What about radeon software? Though everything there is stock.

Besides what JohnBonhamsGhost wrote,and if you haven't done it already, see if you can find out what is the chipset of the motherboard included in the laptop (it may be shown, or not on hwinfo; or you can get cpu-z and check motherboard tab).
For example mine is shown like Chipset: Ryzen SOC and Southbridge: B450 (this last one is the one I would need).

Once you have the chipset, go to AMD web https://www.amd.com/en/support, select Chipset on the list, and look for the one you have and donwload and install the right file for your OS.

(You may need to restart the PC at this point, do it)

Go back to Windows and see if the issue is fixed.

If is not, press Win key + R, type "powercfg.cpl" + ENTER key, and then pick AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Froilan48

Honorable
Mar 3, 2016
Besides what JohnBonhamsGhost wrote,and if you haven't done it already, see if you can find out what is the chipset of the motherboard included in the laptop (it may be shown, or not on hwinfo; or you can get cpu-z and check motherboard tab).
For example mine is shown like Chipset: Ryzen SOC and Southbridge: B450 (this last one is the one I would need).

Once you have the chipset, go to AMD web https://www.amd.com/en/support, select Chipset on the list, and look for the one you have and donwload and install the right file for your OS.

(You may need to restart the PC at this point, do it)

Go back to Windows and see if the issue is fixed.

If is not, press Win key + R, type "powercfg.cpl" + ENTER key, and then pick AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Mine's a laptop Lenovo Thinkpad E15, so I'm not sure if there are dedicated chipsets besides the "Laptop Chipset" on AMD's site. Already tried that and there's no more AMD Ryzen Plan; Windows has full control of the power plan as stated here.

Last edited: