Question Ryzen 5600 thermal problems

Jan 17, 2023
hi all,
I've recently finished my first pc build, but was having some overheating issues with my Ryzen 3600, which I had gotten secondhand from a friend. Thinking it was a cpu issue, I purchased a new Ryzen 5600, which is having the same (actually worse) thermal problems. The system idles at ~60-65C, with relatively low cpu usage. The 3600 was reaching upwards of 90C on Forza Horizon 4, at which point it would shut itself down (I assume as a built in protection, this happened 3 times). After installing the 5600, the cpu would reach temps in the high 80s to low 90s with playing a single game of League of Legends with discord, spotify, and wallpaper engine also running (again, with background processes kept to a minimum). My case has good airflow (in theory), and I'm sure the problem isn't my thermal paste application - the system I've built for my partner alongside my own runs just fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? I know these stock coolers aren't great, but I have friends that use them with similar workloads to me that don't reach anywhere near these temps. The rest of my hardware is as follows:

Ryzen 5 5600
ASRock B550m Steel Legend
Teamgroup T Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 2x8gb (XMP enabled)
Kingston NV2 M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD 1tb
ASRock RX 6600 8gb
EVGA 600 GD 80+ Gold (Purchased B-stock from EVGA)
Fractal Pop Mini Air mATX case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DPF6zf
View: https://imgur.com/a/f11mma9

Linked is a screenshot from HWMonitor of the performance during the single league of legends game I've played on the system, when temps were reaching 90C+. Thanks for any help

Jan 17, 2023
What cooler do you use? Please specify. Do you have PBO enabled? Also, thermal issues being worse on a more powerful CPU with everything else the same isn't weird, it's to be expected. They produce more heat.
Currently using the stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler that came with the cpu, and had about the same thermals (maybe a 4 or 5C difference) with an AMD Wraith Spire cooler. I haven't turned PBO on, so unless it's auto set to do so, it shouldnt be. I plan on getting a new cooler, currently favoring the Deepcool AK400, but am worried that might not be sufficient because temps seem so unusually high

KyaraM

Admirable
Currently using the stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler that came with the cpu, and had about the same thermals (maybe a 4 or 5C difference) with an AMD Wraith Spire cooler. I haven't turned PBO on, so unless it's auto set to do so, it shouldnt be. I plan on getting a new cooler, currently favoring the Deepcool AK400, but am worried that might not be sufficient because temps seem so unusually high
Well, there you have it. AMDs stock coolers aren't terrible, but they aren't great, either, and you will generally get better results with an aftermarket cooler. About the AK400, I don't think you will have to worry:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6yAt88scM

It's a decent cooler and should be more than enough.

Btw. AMD CPUs are designed to boost as high as possible to 90°C, then maintain/throttle clocks to stay at that level. Therefore, hitting 90°C on that CPU is no concern.

Jan 17, 2023
Well, there you have it. AMDs stock coolers aren't terrible, but they aren't great, either, and you will generally get better results with an aftermarket cooler. About the AK400, I don't think you will have to worry:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO6yAt88scM

It's a decent cooler and should be more than enough.

Btw. AMD CPUs are designed to boost as high as possible to 90°C, then maintain/throttle clocks to stay at that level. Therefore, hitting 90°C on that CPU is no concern.
So you think the stock cooler is the only reason temps are getting this high then? That's honestly a pretty big relief. I was worried because friends that use similar hardware to me don't get as hot with stock coolers, but hopefully an aftermarket one does the trick.

One other thing I wanted to ask is if it's normal for the CPU to be pushing a 70W load just to run League/discord/spotify, per the screenshot? I'm sorry if I'm reading or phrasing this wrong, I'm still very new to this haha. Thank you for the help

KyaraM

Admirable
So you think the stock cooler is the only reason temps are getting this high then? That's honestly a pretty big relief. I was worried because friends that use similar hardware to me don't get as hot with stock coolers, but hopefully an aftermarket one does the trick.

One other thing I wanted to ask is if it's normal for the CPU to be pushing a 70W load just to run League/discord/spotify, per the screenshot? I'm sorry if I'm reading or phrasing this wrong, I'm still very new to this haha. Thank you for the help
I mean, you have a mini-ATX case. I don't know about this particular one, but generally speaking, bigger cases with better air flow are preferable (though not all big cases have amazing airflow!). In your case, since the CPU cooler isn't helping venting warm air out the back and sucking fresh air in from the front, but blowing the heated air your GPU dissipated into the case over the CPU and mainboard, that might be part of the reason. Also, the stock cooler doesn't have the heat pipes and fin stack size a tower cooler does, so it is less effective by default. If you want, you can open the side of the case and watch temperatures. If they drop significantly, airflow is the culprit. I have seen cases where that made a difference of a wopping 20°C, though that was a high-end CPU. Even 5-10°C would be more than enough of a hint, honestly.

Room temperature will play a big role, too. You can expect higher temps in summer, when the air that is sucked over the components is hotter than now in winter. That might also differ between you and your friends; if you heat more, or even just live on a different floor, or the buildings aren't equally isolated etc., then you already have differences that might contribute to the issue. Honestly, cooling can be quite complicated.

Before I forget. You can also try to undervolt your CPU to lower temps, but someone else will have to help you with that. I don't have AMD CPUs that can be undervolted and thus know nothing about this topic.

EDIT:
Completely forgot about the question on power consumption! Looking at my posted video, it seems to be normal for this CPU to go up to 70W in games. Not sure about your specific workload, but higher temps can also lead to higher voltages and thus power draw, so that might be a factor, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecco1k