Question Ryzen 5600 underperforming CineBench R20/R23

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I just built the family a few new computers. I built a Ryzen 5600 for my son, which I am finishing setup on.

Ryzen 5600 with stock cooler (Wraith Stealth)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II
32GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3200 (2x16)
2060KO
512 m.2

I enabled XMP in bios for 3200 mem, all other settings are default. But I am finding it is scoring 10-15% under the "average" scores for CB R20 & R23 that I am seeing online. I built myself a similar computer with 5600X and it scores pretty close to what it should.

Even with the stock cooler, it is only hitting 68 degrees max during those tests, so that shouldn't be an issue or the cause. With the multicore tests, the CPU frequency is running in the 3.8-3.9 GHz range though, which seems low. My 5600X runs at 4.4+ GHz for the same tests, which is much closer to it's rated freq limits.

I tried PBO on the 5600 sys (using Ryzen Master) and it jumped up to close to where it should be in the tests, but it also hit nearly 90 degrees.

I am wondering if there is some setting in the BIOS (outside of overclocking) that I missed that is affecting it's performance, or prematurely throttling the cores.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

try switching to high power plan in windows power profiles, balanced profile does limit a bit max cpu boost under full load
also check in hwinfo which value gets throttled (EDC, TDC, PPT) when PBO disabled

sidenote: alot of mainboards cheat...they overclock CPU even if PBO is disabled, they report to CPU lower power draw (like 60% in worst case), so CPU thinks it can go higher and it will go higher for sure, giving you like tons of overclock while CPU think its still within stock PBO limits
this can be also checked in hwinfo, look for power reporting deviation there under load (cinebench for ex.), lower number under load means higher cheat overclock

90C on this CPU is too high, you will need to reduce PPT in PBO settings or reduce voltage, or replace cpu cooler/improve airflow

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
try switching to high power plan in windows power profiles, balanced profile does limit a bit max cpu boost under full load
also check in hwinfo which value gets throttled (EDC, TDC, PPT) when PBO disabled

sidenote: alot of mainboards cheat...they overclock CPU even if PBO is disabled, they report to CPU lower power draw (like 60% in worst case), so CPU thinks it can go higher and it will go higher for sure, giving you like tons of overclock while CPU think its still within stock PBO limits
this can be also checked in hwinfo, look for power reporting deviation there under load (cinebench for ex.), lower number under load means higher cheat overclock

90C on this CPU is too high, you will need to reduce PPT in PBO settings or reduce voltage, or replace cpu cooler/improve airflow

Thank you, I will check those a bit later. I set the power plan to high, it improved score very slightly, and CPUs speed held at ~3950 instead of ~3850. But still not where I think it should be.

I built an identical computer for my wife at the same time, but with a 5500, instead of 5600. I just ran CB R20 on it. It held at ~4,250 for the test (what I think the 5600 should be doing) without any tweaking of settings. It didn't throttle it back at all until it hit about 80 degrees, and it scored higher than the 5600. Something is amiss, with default settings, (other than XMP enabled) the 5600 is being throttled back to ~3,850 before the temp even hits 60c. I am thinking a driver or BIOS issue. Other than the CPU, the 2 systems are set up identically, with latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

It would be very interesting if anyone else here has the TOMAHAWK MAX II & 5600.

Hey there,

Make sure you chipset driver and bios is up to date. The chipset driver will have the most recent 'Ryzen Balanced' plan which you need to activate. Not high performance plan.

Test again.

Look in your bios a bit for CO (Curve Optimizer) and enable that with PBO. It might keep your temps in check and give better performance.

Have you looked at CTR 2.1 or Project Hyrda for OC'ing? Worth a look.

Edit: Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, this could be the issue. Check you mobo manual on how to do it, clear and start afresh with any OC settings/XMP etc

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Hey there,

Make sure you chipset driver and bios is up to date. The chipset driver will have the most recent 'Ryzen Balanced' plan which you need to activate. Not high performance plan.

Test again.

Look in your bios a bit for CO (Curve Optimizer) and enable that with PBO. It might keep your temps in check and give better performance.

Have you looked at CTR 2.1 or Project Hyrda for OC'ing? Worth a look.

Edit: Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, this could be the issue. Check you mobo manual on how to do it, clear and start afresh with any OC settings/XMP etc
Both computers were built together with the same/latest BIOS and Chipset driver.

I will try the different tweaks mentioned here, but what is bothering me, I shouldn't need to. It isn't performing as well as it should "out of the box".

I did not clear the BIOS after updating it, I will try that on both. Good thought.

Thank you.

Last edited:

brad1138

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009

I checked this. TDC and EDC of both the 5600 and 5600X are 60A and 90A respectively. My 5600 maxes at ~54 & 80. FWIW, the 5600X ran at 43 and 90. Both hit the max PPT of 76.0 and stayed right there.

I am learning, but it looks like the 5600 needs more watts than 76. Odd in that the 5600X doesn't... :unsure:

I checked this. TDC and EDC of both the 5600 and 5600X are 60A and 90A respectively. My 5600 maxes at ~54 & 80. FWIW, the 5600X ran at 43 and 90. Both hit the max PPT of 76.0 and stayed right there.

I am learning, but it looks like the 5600 needs more watts than 76. Odd in that the 5600X doesn't... :unsure:
than your mainboard is puting more volts to your CPU

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen boost according to 3 things. Temps, loads and voltages on a core per core basis. So even if temps are great, the load being the exact same, if one is running higher per core voltages, it'll chop or limit the boost.

Auto VID is not always your friend, and that'll change with motherboard choice and cpu in question, some just need a little more voltage some a little less. Entirely possible the 5600x is a 'golden' cpu, and the 5600 rated at 'bronze' or even 'lead'.