[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600g high core voltage?

Feb 5, 2022
Brand new pc. The motherboard is Gigabyte b550m-ds3h. No OC, everything is running on stock settings. I'm constantly getting high CPU core voltage readings on hwinfo (1.345v and sometimes higher), even when running idle. Similar numbers for iGPU. Should I be worried?
See screenshots: https://i.postimg.cc/bvFT5H4P/Untitled.png

Solution
Ryzen ate dynamic cpus, they don't do well when saddled to a static voltage.

At idle/single core some cpus hit as high as just under 1.5v. It's only with multiple cores that the voltage drops to its operating voltage, and amperage skyrockets.

The worst part about traditional Intel type OC and static voltages is it limits single thread performance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen ate dynamic cpus, they don't do well when saddled to a static voltage.

At idle/single core some cpus hit as high as just under 1.5v. It's only with multiple cores that the voltage drops to its operating voltage, and amperage skyrockets.

The worst part about traditional Intel type OC and static voltages is it limits single thread performance.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
I'd have to say that's not the worst thing about it. Just to get a similar level of multi-thread performance it has to be clocked high constantly while 'threading the needle' with the lowest voltage possible...and yet still won't be stable for Prime95 type stress testing. When done it becomes a tiny fire breathing dragon in multi-threaded workloads (like video transcoding) and can't be cooled properly: a result of the 7nm dies that don't allow enough surface area to transfer heat out.

In general though it's pointless to OC the CPU with a Ryzen APU anyway if the purpose is improve gaming. Focus instead on GPU overclocking and, especially, memory overclocking.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In general though it's pointless to OC the CPU with a Ryzen APU anyway if the purpose is improve gaming. Focus instead on GPU overclocking and, especially, memory overclocking.
So true. It's better to leave any Ryzen alone, not OC at all, but leave it to govern and restrict itself. Undervolting VID is the only thing I'd recommend other than using CTR2. Make the Ryzen more efficient, it works better, regardless of actual clock speeds. It's not Intel.

Reactions: CountMike