Question Ryzen 5600X and RX 5500XT: high temperatures?

Nov 12, 2022
Last week I bought new CPU, Motherboard and Cooler. According to the AMD control panel, my GPU was at 49 °C with essentially no activity. The fans are disabled by default. If I turn them on, keeping them at 1500 RPM, the temperature drops to 42 °C. Is these temperatures what I should expect? As for the CPU, it was at 42 °C idle.

Then I had the not so brilliant idea of using my old simple cooler that came with my old Intel Core i5 and attached it to the back of the PC case, right behind the GPU. This caused the temp of the GPU to drop to 38 °C idle. However I regreat having done it, because in the process I needed to brake the Cooler socket. Not only that, I suspect having accidentally damaged one of the fan connectors of the motherboard after applying too much force trying to get the cooler in the right position. :( Now the Intel Cooler makes a lot of noise (I'm used to the noise because that is what I had with my old setup), and it became almost impossible to unplug it without further damage to the motherboard.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
According to the AMD control panel, my GPU was at 49 °C with essentially no activity.
Not a problem.

"The fans are disabled by default."
Also not a problem.

"If I turn them on, keeping them at 1500 RPM, the temperature drops to 42 °C."
Still not a problem.

"As for the CPU, it was at 42 °C idle."
Yep, nothing to see here.

Then I had the not so brilliant idea of using my old simple cooler that came with my old Intel Core i5 and attached it to the back of the PC case, right behind the GPU. This caused the temp of the GPU to drop to 38 °C idle. However I regreat having done it, because in the process I needed to brake the Cooler socket. Not only that, I suspect having accidentally damaged one of the fan connectors of the motherboard after applying too much force trying to get the cooler in the right position. :( Now the Intel Cooler makes a lot of noise (I'm used to the noise because that is what I had with my old setup), and it became almost impossible to unplug it without further damage to the motherboard.
Well, that happened...
You tried to fix a problem that didn't exist and ruined an older cooler's mounting hardware in the process. What's done is done.

Reactions: user1211