Question Ryzen 5600X causing softwares using internet to crash.

Magastem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
I upgraded my PC with new hardware, specifically focused on everything to be compatible with Ryzen 5 5600x.

The retailer I bought the motherboard from said in its description that it supported Ryzen 3, with no mention of Ryzen 5, but it offered a BIOS update for an extra charge. So I bought it, confident that ASUS officially confirmed this exact motherboard to support Ryzen 5.

Once assembled, everything was fine. I installed the usual softwares and I was running on Windows 10. Games ran fine, Youtube was playing fine, etc.

The only weird thing I noticed at first was the completely incorrect internet speed when downloading things (as in, higher than my internet allows).

The next day, little by little, pages on Chrome would show errors like STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION or STATUS_BREAKPOINT. It was still fine, but then Discord started crashing, Steam, Epic Games. Another day passes and it reached a point where I couldn't connect to any network at all, neither by ethernet nor by wi-fi adapter, without everything that use the internet crashing or Windows showing me the following message:

"Windows encountered a problem and needs to restart"

I did lots of mostly basic troubleshooting, different internets, and formatting of different Windows on different drives, but to no avail.

A technician tried another CPU on this motherboard, and there were no such issues. He put the Ryzen 5 on another motherboard (don't know how compatible they were) and it gave the same network problems.

So it's either:

A) The motherboard needs the latest BIOS update (even though the one it has is already fairly new)

B) The Ryzen 5600x came faulty

ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS AMD B550 AM4

Ryzen 5 5600X

NVIDIA GTX 1660

32GB RAM 16x2

Tried on multiple Windows, currently on Windows 11.

Magastem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Do you know the exact BIOS version it was updated too?

It was on 2803, second to last BIOS update on the ASUS support website.

There's been an update to the situation. The technician tried his own Ryzen 5, don't know which one, but has 6 cores and 12 threads, same as my 5600x. It worked flawlessly, used the internet just fine even as time went on. He put mine back in, the same issues came back. Today, through Windows, he disabled all cores of my CPU but one, and everything worked flawlessly. So he enabled his way up the cores until the 5th core gave network issues. So now, instead of 6 cores, he only has my CPU enabled with 4 cores and it is working really well. To be sure, he left a hefty download for the rest of the day in order to know if any issues arise once more. And if it doesn't, I'll come pick the PC up, as my job is time-sensitive and I have a whole plan afterwards to replace this faulty CPU without wasting time.

One question I want to ask however: from 6 cores to 4 cores, how will this affect the performance on the CPU? Many games, for some reason, will usually use only one core for most of its processing, but that just might be an optimization problem or misunderstanding. What do you think?

Magastem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Hey there,

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update. If not you must do this.

The retailer made the BIOS update before delivering it. It is a respectable retailer where I live, so I'd assume they'd have done so. But do tell, if they didn't clear the CMOS, what exactly would have happened? How would I know? And can I still do this?

The retailer made the BIOS update before delivering it. It is a respectable retailer where I live, so I'd assume they'd have done so. But do tell, if they didn't clear the CMOS, what exactly would have happened? How would I know? And can I still do this?

Your 'new' CPU may not function correctly, or have abnormal behaviour. It can also cause random BSODS, or restarts. Essentially you are clearing any remnants of microcode from the bios, by shorting it. Once done, and you reboot, you can then load set up defaults. and reboot again. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

You can follow the instructions in this manual, and ensure it was done properly, by doing it yourself. Then you can rule that out.

edit: PRIME_TUF_GAMING_B550_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf (asus.com)

How to clear CMOS? | Official Support | ASUS Global

Reactions: Magastem

Magastem

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Your 'new' CPU may not function correctly, or have abnormal behaviour. It can also cause random BSODS, or restarts. Essentially you are clearing any remnants of microcode from the bios, by shorting it. Once done, and you reboot, you can then load set up defaults. and reboot again. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

You can follow the instructions in this manual, and ensure it was done properly, by doing it yourself. Then you can rule that out.

Okay, I will do it myself. However, if the computer is still working fine (once the technician checks back on it tonight), and continues to work fine on the next few weeks, should I still do this process?

Truth be told, when I say 'fine', is having a Ryzen 5600X being limited to 4 cores instead of 6. Do you think that perhaps clearing the CMOS could fix such an issue? I ask this, because the technician did put another Ryzen 5 (not sure which, but not as powerful) with 6 cores, and it worked well without any limitations.

I appreciate the suggestion, it sounds like a good lead if all else fails, and something to rule out if I do want to have my CPU cores back.

Last edited:
Truth be told, when I say 'fine', is having a Ryzen 5600X being limited to 4 cores instead of 6. Do you think that perhaps clearing the CMOS could fix such an issue? I ask this, because the technician did put another Ryzen 5 (not sure which, but not as powerful) with 6 cores, and it worked well without any limitations.
Yes, most certainly that could happen and CMOS clear could fix it. But, as mentioned, this is purely from the point of view of ruling it out. Chances are still, that if another 6c/12 CPU like a 5600g or 5500 was recognised and the 5600x isn't, there could be something wrong with the CPU itself.

Reactions: Magastem