[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x high temperature start up

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Might be asking something stupid but here we go 😂. I’ve started getting HW monitor to boot on start up as I always forget to launch it. However I’ve noticed on start up my temperatures spike up to 60 degrees and then will settle down to normal.
Feel slightly stupid asking but presuming this is normal ? Settles down after around 30 seconds

Solution
Might be asking something stupid but here we go 😂. I’ve started getting HW monitor to boot on start up as I always forget to launch it. However I’ve noticed on start up my temperatures spike up to 60 degrees and then will settle down to normal.
Feel slightly stupid asking but presuming this is normal ? Settles down after around 30 seconds
60C isn't really 'bad', ryzens seem to run hot as they spike temperatures when boosting which it will do while loading OS assets at startup.

And what cpu cooler are you using? The stock Wraithe may keep it from overheating but it's not really enough for the 5600 where, especially under heavy load, a decent aftermarket will help with holding clocks and lower temps.
60C isn't really 'bad', ryzens seem to run hot as they spike temperatures when boosting which it will do while loading OS assets at startup.

And what cpu cooler are you using? The stock Wraithe may keep it from overheating but it's not really enough for the 5600 where, especially under heavy load, a decent aftermarket will help with holding clocks and lower temps.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
60c is more than good, it's excellent, specially for 5000 series Ryzen. 90c or close to it would be something to worry about

many thanks for all your answers. Im cooling it with a arctic freezer II 360mm Aio. Honestly impressed by it came from a noctua NH D-15.
360mm AIO is, quite honestly, overkill for a 5600x LOL

But what you're seeing with 60C spikes is inevitable considering the thermal density that results from 7nm geometry size. It spikes in temp even with a huge capacity cooler on it because it simply can't transfer the heat fast enough over the tiny contact area each core presents to the heat spreader.

Last edited:
You don't get better performance just by lowering temps but you can loose some performance if overheated. In case of that Ryzen, it's 90c so you have very high margin.
Modern CPUs tend to run somewhat hotter because of more cores and higher element density.

Frozenyojk

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Using the same CPU, being cooled with noctua nh-u12s - the same story. After booting to windows it hits up around 60/65 degrees but that's normal as far as im aware.
After all the cpu is loaded with instructions and its being utilized. This CPU is hot by design, so install MSI afterburner and make it start with the PC. Then you will see your temps from the start if you think something is wrong but I don't think there's problem at all.