Question Ryzen 5600x "low" Cinebench R20 score

postal_cz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
I have my new rig installed - R5 5600x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, Crucial 16GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Ballistix, Kraken X63 cooler - and my Cinebench R20 score is between 3950 - 4100 while I usually see scores around 4400-4500 in the reviews. What should help to boost the performance? I have the latest bios, everything default/auto, XMP enabled, all drivers installed,.
Tried to turn on the "Game Boost" button in the Bios hoping that will increase performance a bit .. after that when the benchmark started, CPU temp jumped as high as 95C so I ripped the power cable off. Have no idea what the hell should that button do ...

Might want to check the cooler installation to make sure that thermal paste is sufficiently applied and enough pressure was done.

Also keep in mind that the "rice grain sized dot" in the middle doesn't actually work well for Zen 3, as the die layout looks like this:

A8RCToeJ67k6SihkPZQrb5.jpg

So using the typical method may not allow the thermal paste to spread out to where it needs to go.

Reactions: RodroX
Might want to check the cooler installation to make sure that thermal paste is sufficiently applied and enough pressure was done.

Also keep in mind that the "rice grain sized dot" in the middle doesn't actually work well for Zen 3, as the die layout looks like this:

A8RCToeJ67k6SihkPZQrb5.jpg

So using the typical method may not allow the thermal paste to spread out to where it needs to go.
That's a myth, even coverage is main goal for any configuration

postal_cz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2014
PSU: Seasonic Focus 750W, GPU: EVGA 3070 XC3

Temps were <60C with preapplied thermal paste. But I've applied MX-4 now and temps and performance is still the same. The probles is the low boost clock, I guess. Multi-core benchmark runs at around 4050 Mhz (compared to 4400 Mhz in reviews) at 1,1V. Single-core benchmark runs around 3500 Mhz, barely hits over 4000. But the single-core reuslt is slightly better - 580 (compared to 600 in reviews). I tried to switch the Auto OC profile on in AMD Ryzen Master, that got me to higher clocks and result was 4400 points, but I would expect that with non-overclocked CPU. Also the temps went to 80C during the run.
I currently blame the motherboard setting, but dunno what to do about it. I have latest BIOS, latest drivers (AMD chipset), Extreme performance in Dragon center .. and it is still not enough. Not gonna turn on the Game boost on again.

- Reset BIOS back to defult, save and exit, Enter the BIOS one more time make sure PB, PBO and XMP are enable, and disable any MSI boost crap. Leave only PB and PBO.

- Make sure you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD website: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570.

- Just because you installed new thermal paste, does not mean the cooler is installed correctly and that its working. So make sure the radiator is installed inside your case over the pump level, make sure the pump is working (I think CAM allows you to monitor the pump), make sure the pump is plugged into the right header in the motherboard, make sure the radiators fan are working and plugged into the right header too.

- Im guessing you have already tried with the stock cooler, and see if you got the same behavior (this I ask because that way you could, or not discard any AIO failure)?

- Don't run multiple monitoring software at the same time, pick one, close the others and stick with it. Right now Ryzen Master and Hwinfo portable ("Sensors Only" option) are the ones I would pick.

- Uninstall any useless MSI app from Windows.

- If you installed NZXT CAM, make sure you are not "tunning" the system and specially the CPU on any way, and if youre running that then you can use it too to check the temp and I believe the pump too, no need for others (you could check one or two time with hwinfo to see if its reporting the same).

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Nov 30, 2020
i am having same problem. I have Tuf x570 Gaming plus(2812), Trident Z Neo 3600mhz cl16 stock cooler. did you solve the problem?

edTEX5g.png

Last edited:
i am having same problem. I have Tuf x570 Gaming plus(2812), Trident Z Neo 3600mhz cl16 stock cooler. did you solve the problem?

edTEX5g.png

If this was a CPU upgrade, did you set you BIOS to default before installing the new Ryzen 5 5600X?, Did you set your BIOS to default after the first boot with the new CPU?
Have you enable the RAM XMP (DOCP on ASUS boards)?
Is this a fresh new installation of Windows 10?
After a new installation of Windwos 10, did you donwloaded the chipset drivers from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570)?
I would really use hwinfo 64bit portable - "sensors only" option, instead of hwmonitor.
What thermal solution do you have?

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Nov 30, 2020
If this was a CPU upgrade, did you set you BIOS to default before installing the new Ryzen 5 5600X?, Did you set your BIOS to default after the first boot with the new CPU?
Have you enable the RAM XMP (DOCP on ASUS boards)?
Is this a fresh new installation of Windows 10?
After a new installation of Windwos 10, did you donwloaded the chipset drivers from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570)?
I would really use hwinfo 64bit portable - "sensors only" option, instead of hwmonitor.
What thermal solution do you have?

1)Its fresh build.
2)I only turned on XMP
3) fresh installation of windows
4)downloaded latest chipset
5)I checked clock speed is stuck at 4Ghz
6)i have stock cooler and i am getting maximum 75 degree (celcius)

Check BIOS, it sounds like Turbo/boost/PBO is not enabled.

What CountMike wrote, or you have some kind of weird OC going on.

This is strange because cores stuck at 4GHz should not be posible with PB (this is like intel turbo boost but for AMD) disable, since the base clock for the Ryzen 5600X is 3700MHz.

Did the motherboard came boxed with the 2812 BIOS?

For the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (non-wifi) it seems you are runing a BETA version of the BIOS (according to Asus site: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ll-series/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/), so if you don't mind trying another beta version theres the 2816 vailable for download.

Nov 30, 2020
Check BIOS, it sounds like Turbo/boost/PBO is not enabled.
It’s enabled
What CountMike wrote, or you have some kind of weird OC going on.

This is strange because cores stuck at 4GHz should not be posible with PB (this is like intel turbo boost but for AMD) disable, since the base clock for the Ryzen 5600X is 3700MHz.

Did the motherboard came boxed with the 2812 BIOS?

For the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (non-wifi) it seems you are runing a BETA version of the BIOS (according to Asus site: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ll-series/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/), so if you don't mind trying another beta version theres the 2816 vailable for download.
Yes, i updated my bios for zen3 (2812). I’ve researched some and users having same problem with 2812 bios. I will wait for stable bios or is there any way for downgrade?

It’s enabled

Yes, i updated my bios for zen3 (2812). I’ve researched some and users having same problem with 2812 bios. I will wait for stable bios or is there any way for downgrade?

Far as I know you should be able to downgrade your BIOS, back in 2019 when I was testing diferent stuff on my B450 mobo I downgraded and then update it and I had no issues. Maybe check the manul to see if theres any indication?

Also did you update to 2812 for any reason, like stability, performance, anything?

Nov 30, 2020
Far as I know you should be able to downgrade your BIOS, back in 2019 when I was testing diferent stuff on my B450 mobo I downgraded and then update it and I had no issues. Maybe check the manul to see if theres any indication?

Also did you update to 2812 for any reason, like stability, performance, anything?
I didn’t have usb stick for update so i updated via internet. version 2812 was latest version

Nov 30, 2020
Ok I get that, but Did you update it because the PC was underperforming somehow?
As i said my components was new and i had to update my motherboard for 5600x because my mobo is ready for ryzen 3000 not 5000 series. And i didn't have usb stick so i updated directly from DHCP and this update was 2812.

As i said my components was new and i had to update my motherboard for 5600x because my mobo is ready for ryzen 3000 not 5000 series. And i didn't have usb stick so i updated directly from DHCP and this update was 2812.

Ok, as I see it this could be:

1. A BIOS issued that may be fixed with a new stable or beta one (like the 2816 which seesm to be available now).
2. Something is not set correctly on the BIOS.
3. The easiest thing to try: reset you BIOS back to "Load Optimized Defaults", which is an option that can be seen in the manual, page 49: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf.
Once the BIOS is set back to its default settings, you should boot into Windows, run CR20 test again, and if the CPU boost and CR results are what they should be now (or way closer), go back to BIOS, enable DOCP for the RAM, and test again.

Nov 30, 2020
Ok, as I see it this could be:

1. A BIOS issued that may be fixed with a new stable or beta one (like the 2816 which seesm to be available now).
2. Something is not set correctly on the BIOS.
3. The easiest thing to try: reset you BIOS back to "Load Optimized Defaults", which is an option that can be seen in the manual, page 49: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf.
Once the BIOS is set back to its default settings, you should boot into Windows, run CR20 test again, and if the CPU boost and CR results are what they should be now (or way closer), go back to BIOS, enable DOCP for the RAM, and test again.
Ok, i resetted the bios and my results are
without D.O.C.P: 4100 and 4.2ghz clock speed max
with D.O.C.P: 4000 and 4ghz clock speed max

Ok, i resetted the bios and my results are
without D.O.C.P: 4100 and 4.2ghz clock speed max
with D.O.C.P: 4000 and 4ghz clock speed max

4.2GHz all core clocks is more in line of what you can may with stock cooler and a temperature of 75°C.

Theres something really, really strange with that BIOS. Sometimes RAM comes with a few XMP profiles, can you set it to 3200MHz, instead of 3600 and try again?

As for the 75°C, perhaps adjusting for a better airflow inside your case could lead to improved results (easiest way to check this is try removing the front and/or side panel if temp gets better then the airflow could be improved), well that and a stronger cpu cooler, but I would start with the case first to see if its worth it. On my personal rig "fixing" the case/fans made my cpu temp to drop almost 10°C, but since I wanted to keep my solid front panel On, I only got around 5°C temp reduction when by installing the case fans in a better setup.

Nov 30, 2020
4.2GHz all core clocks is more in line of what you can may with stock cooler and a temperature of 75°C.

Theres something really, really strange with that BIOS. Sometimes RAM comes with a few XMP profiles, can you set it to 3200MHz, instead of 3600 and try again?

As for the 75°C, perhaps adjusting for a better airflow inside your case could lead to improved results (easiest way to check this is try removing the front and/or side panel if temp gets better then the airflow could be improved), well that and a stronger cpu cooler, but I would start with the case first to see if its worth it. On my personal rig "fixing" the case/fans made my cpu temp to drop almost 10°C, but since I wanted to keep my solid front panel On, I only got around 5°C temp reduction when by installing the case fans in a better setup.
This bios version is broken obviously :LOL: i have only 1 profile
I have TD500 Mesh

Another strange things is my cpu can go up to 4.6ghz All core but it doesn't go up in cinebench

sXv9fAi_d.webp