[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x running very hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2020
Hi guys, I recently built a brand new PC and i've noticed the the ryzen 5600x is running very hot on games like call of duty modern warfare and Hitman

My case is the Corsair CC-9011138-WW Carbide Series SPEC-05 Mid-Tower Gaming Case. In this case I have 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan. along with the MSI B-550 A pro motherboard.
The cooler is the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. I have already tried applying new thermal paste and it did make a difference but it still is very hot. I also tried disabling precision boost overdrive and it helped with the temperatures.

After applying the new thermal paste and disabling precision boost overdrive, my temperature for COD MW was 88°c instead of 95°c, Hitman 1 was 75°c instead of 85°c and cinebench was also 75°c instead of around 90°c. Ideal temperature is around 36 to 40°c
I am playing all these games on max settings at a refresh rate of 144hz and I have no idea what it is that might be causing such high temperatures. Has anyone else encountered these types of issues?

Thanks

Solution
The stock coolers really aren't meant for much more speed than stock. Precision boost overdrive can definitely put a strain on the temps. Those ideal temps are for high end watercoolers or stock fan speeds at idle.

Have you watched videos to ensure the thermal paste application is good? Also did you make sure you really tightened those stock cooler screws? Those screws are notoriously infamous for requiring a lot more force than what seems safe. They also sound horrible when tightening and feel like you're breaking things but its very important to get good contact with the CPU block.

Alternatively you could get something that is significantly better for only about 30 bucks right now. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a...
Nov 9, 2020
The stock coolers really aren't meant for much more speed than stock. Precision boost overdrive can definitely put a strain on the temps. Those ideal temps are for high end watercoolers or stock fan speeds at idle.

Have you watched videos to ensure the thermal paste application is good? Also did you make sure you really tightened those stock cooler screws? Those screws are notoriously infamous for requiring a lot more force than what seems safe. They also sound horrible when tightening and feel like you're breaking things but its very important to get good contact with the CPU block.

Alternatively you could get something that is significantly better for only about 30 bucks right now. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a great looking CPU fan for cheap that is pretty highly regarded for it's price to performance ratio. It even come in a much nicer looking matte black. I have the BE evo and I am even able to overclock on my 2700x with temps only reaching about 60-65C in an NZXT case that has ass airflow.

Solution
What's your ambient temp? 88C is below that CPUs TDP, but anything over 80C is not good for a long, healthy CPU life.
It's possible that your motherboard is supplying too high voltage, by default, as well. What's the voltage at at idle and when gaming?

I would definitely take up @TwitchyTanner's suggestion and pick up the Hyper 212 (or better) aftermarket cooler.

Nov 9, 2020
So it's safe to play Cod mw with around 88°c cpu? Im pretty new to this so im unsure.
ideally you would want to stay below 95 or even 90 degrees. You can operate at these temperatures fine but it is definitely not ideal in my opinion, since it not only can raise the temperature of your surrounding components but could also bring into question the longevity of the CPU.

Nov 9, 2020

Alternatively you could get something that is significantly better for only about 30 bucks right now. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO is a great looking CPU fan for cheap that is pretty highly regarded for it's price to performance ratio. It even come in a much nicer looking matte black. I have the BE evo and I am even able to overclock on my 2700x with temps only reaching about 60-65C in an NZXT case that has ass airflow.

I've done all that you have suggested. I looked around and a lot of people were also having bad temperatures with the stock cooler. Im going to take your advice and buy a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO. Thank you

D

Deleted member 2720853

Have a look at this statement from Robert Hallock, director of technical marketing at AMD:

"Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons.

Is it the same as Zen 2 or our competitor? No. But that doesn't mean something is "wrong." These parts are running exactly as-designed, producing the performance results we intend."

Your temps are expected, so there's nothing wrong with your current build. Getting a better cooler will yield boost clock improvements but no temperature improvements.

Have a look at this statement from Robert Hallock, director of technical marketing at AMD:

"Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons.

Is it the same as Zen 2 or our competitor? No. But that doesn't mean something is "wrong." These parts are running exactly as-designed, producing the performance results we intend."

Your temps are expected, so there's nothing wrong with your current build. Getting a better cooler will yield boost clock improvements but no temperature improvements.

"Getting a better cooler will yield boost clock improvements but no temperature improvements."

You're gonna have to explain that "No temperature improvement" because it's clear that using a better cooler improve the temperature. You won't see 90C on a Noctua NH-D15 at full load in a game with a Ryzen 5600X. You should have said "Getting a better cooler will yield boost clock improvements and temperature improvements".

OP's system like you said is running like it should with that stock cooler.

Reactions: Makaveli
Nov 9, 2020

Not sure what you mean. I installed the evo 212 today and tested Call of duty modern warfare with PBO enabled and I was getting a maximum temperature of around 73°c instead of 90+.

Reactions: Makaveli
Dec 17, 2020
Might be worth it to see what voltage your motherboard is giving the CPU. Some motherboards unnecessarily overvolt. Even a .05v difference will change the load temps of your CPU.

HI ! ive got something like that going on.... i reach 77c in games ex: (modern warfare) full load on a 5600x, i run with the AMD Wraith max cooler with stock settings no OC , my vcore reaches 1,416v on an Aorus elite x570,
can you tell me if my vcore is too high causing temps to go up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.