[SOLVED] ryzen 5600x temp

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Greetings m8's, :)

i just builld new rig with ryzen 5600x cpu.( around 1 weeks ago) i noticed before the temp was 40c idle. but then after i installed antivirus ect and some programs that running in startup, and i also install msi center and mistakenly tried extreme performance, my temp was no less than 42c and sometimes without doing anything just few open broswer, its spike to 50 even 60celcius. i already uninstalled msi and put back the power into balanced in win10. but the temp is not back to 40c. i actually doesnt feel comfortable with the high of my pc. in game i ve tried , tomb raider 2013 the cpu temp will be around 60 to 70. once before i saw it even touch 80c. im using prime polar 240 water cooler. so my question is :

1, does this all seems normal?
2 is there any way for me to lower the temp without downgrade the performance?
3. since 20 years ago everytime i build pc, one of my focus would be less wattage usage, but i still have performance while playing games. so any suggestion on this would be much appreciate.
thanks alot!

Last edited:
Solution
Idle on a Ryzen is sketchy because it's misunderstood and compared to Intel. With Intel at idle, all the cores are downclocked and voltages lowered, but all cores remain active. Meaning the entire processes and services running/starting/stopping at idle are split amongst all the cores. This means all the cores are running several processes at any given time, and temp is the current hottest core, which changes, but doesn't see a real spike.

Ryzens on the other hand, put all the cores except 1 to sleep. The entire idle load is on a single core, so sees the full idle % load, plus spikes every time a new service/process starts up.

The pump on that cooler isn't rated for variable speeds, so should be permanently set for 100% in bios...
Greetings m8's, :)

i just builld new rig with ryzen 5600x cpu.( around 1 weeks ago) i noticed before the temp was 40c idle. but then after i installed antivirus ect and some programs that running in startup, and i also install msi center and mistakenly tried extreme performance, my temp was no less than 42c and sometimes without doing anything just few open broswer, its spike to 50 even 60celcius. i already uninstalled msi and put back the power into balanced in win10. but the temp is not back to 40c. i actually doesnt feel comfortable with the high of my pc. in game i ve tried , tomb raider 2013 the cpu temp will be around 60 to 70. once before i saw it even touch 80c. im using prime polar 240 water cooler. so my question is :

1, does this all seems normal?
2 is there any way for me to lower the temp without downgrade the performance?
3. since 20 years ago everytime i build pc, one of my focus would be less wattage usage, but i still have performance while playing games. so any suggestion on this would be much appreciate.
thanks alot!
Normal under some conditions. First one is CPU usage specially at idle which is pretty stretchy term, for me it's only couple % anything above that is nowhere close to idle. Modern multi core CPUs react fast to any load, boost some or all cores to appropriate level and wake up "sleeping" cores which of course causes voltage levels to raise and temps with it. Cooling wise make sure that pump is always running at 100%, if speed is let to drop, cooling will be less efficient and take longer to cool under load.
That said, your max temps are not alarmingly high, 5000 series Ryzen are allowed up to 95c before any performance or boost issues and 80c is nothing to be concerned about.

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Normal under some conditions. First one is CPU usage specially at idle which is pretty stretchy term, for me it's only couple % anything above that is nowhere close to idle. Modern multi core CPUs react fast to any load, boost some or all cores to appropriate level and wake up "sleeping" cores which of course causes voltage levels to raise and temps with it. Cooling wise make sure that pump is always running at 100%, if speed is let to drop, cooling will be less efficient and take longer to cool under load.
That said, your max temps are not alarmingly high, 5000 series Ryzen are allowed up to 95c before any performance or boost issues and 80c is nothing to be concerned about.

thank you very much for the info and the suggestion. i ll try to make my pump running at 100% speed then. and see does it will effect or not.

thank you very much for the info and the suggestion. i ll try to make my pump running at 100% speed then. and see does it will effect or not.

Hey there,

Those little jumps of about 10c when you start up a browser or something are perfectly normal. It's the design of the CPU and also how windows schedules the thread activity. You have nothing to worry about there.

With regard to your higher temps. Yes, they are a little above where you would expect them to be. But not scary so.

What cooler are you running on your CPU? Please list your PC specs., including case, so we can think about airflow. WHat kind of ambient temps have you got outside. If it is a warm climate, your PC will naturally run slightly warmer. Typically 10-15c above ambient. So if it's 20c outside, your PC should idle at about 35-40c. Gaming temps about 45-65, maybe be 70c (game dependant) and 70-80c stressing (if your cooler is set up correctly and your not overclocking). Also If you are OC'ing that could account for the slightly higher temps.

Reactions: zoloft50mg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle on a Ryzen is sketchy because it's misunderstood and compared to Intel. With Intel at idle, all the cores are downclocked and voltages lowered, but all cores remain active. Meaning the entire processes and services running/starting/stopping at idle are split amongst all the cores. This means all the cores are running several processes at any given time, and temp is the current hottest core, which changes, but doesn't see a real spike.

Ryzens on the other hand, put all the cores except 1 to sleep. The entire idle load is on a single core, so sees the full idle % load, plus spikes every time a new service/process starts up.

The pump on that cooler isn't rated for variable speeds, so should be permanently set for 100% in bios, then forgotten about. Your fan curve will deal with load temps, but you'll not be able to do much about spikes, it's not the cooler, it's the cpu working at startup.

So yes, it's perfectly normal behavior. With halfway decent cooling, expect idle to be @ 20°C± above ambient, but can spike as much as 40°C± above ambient.

Solution

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Hey there,

Those little jumps of about 10c when you start up a browser or something are perfectly normal. It's the design of the CPU and also how windows schedules the thread activity. You have nothing to worry about there.

With regard to your higher temps. Yes, they are a little above where you would expect them to be. But not scary so.

What cooler are you running on your CPU? Please list your PC specs., including case, so we can think about airflow. WHat kind of ambient temps have you got outside. If it is a warm climate, your PC will naturally run slightly warmer. Typically 10-15c above ambient. So if it's 20c outside, your PC should idle at about 35-40c. Gaming temps about 45-65, maybe be 70c (game dependant) and 70-80c stressing (if your cooler is set up correctly and your not overclocking). Also If you are OC'ing that could account for the slightly higher temps.

thanks for answer m8. yes i forgot about the ambient. since i moved my rig to room without air conditioner and the temp outside is actually around 30c. i did however turn my pump to 100% run. and also set my fan case to 10volt. and last night i did try game the hottest i got was 77c. (better than before that touch 80-81c) and early this morning, i saw its the first time touch 37c iddling even its then spike again to 40ish. so yeah i think the hot climate is actually made my cpu hotter. o was worry actually about the spike before, but since your explanation, im less worry now. thanks :)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022

The pump on that cooler isn't rated for variable speeds, so should be permanently set for 100% in bios, then forgotten about. Your fan curve will deal with load temps, but you'll not be able to do much about spikes, it's not the cooler, it's the cpu working at startup.

So yes, it's perfectly normal behavior. With halfway decent cooling, expect idle to be @ 20°C± above ambient, but can spike as much as 40°C± above ambient.
right, this explaination made me more clear about the spike. the reason i choosed this ryzen was becoz of 65 watt, compare to new i5 that 125 watt, i havent expereinced amd since long time ago btw, so i really have no idea about how ryzen core working. thanks alot m8:)

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
right, this explaination made me more clear about the spike. the reason i choosed this ryzen was becoz of 65 watt, compare to new i5 that 125 watt, i havent expereinced amd since long time ago btw, so i really have no idea about how ryzen core working. thanks alot m8:)
You are not hitting 125W during gaming even with the big i7. I play at around 40W on my 12700k and got 68W spikes... maybe 68W with 80W spikes in more intense games. You have to do very intense stuff to get them to 125W or higher, and then Ryzen also exceeds 100W. That is not a hard limit. Yes, they are a tad bit more efficient, but especially in gaming that difference is very small. Also, there are 65W versions of all Alder Lakes out now (without OC, but they are powerful enough to not need it). Pluss, the 12400 is both cheaper and better than the 5600X. And comes with 65W specifications by default. I doubt that one goes anywhere near 125W, ever...

To get to your original question. Thoae temps look okay to me. Especially when you are living in a hot climate. I think that is fine.

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
You are not hitting 125W during gaming even with the big i7. I play at around 40W on my 12700k and got 68W spikes... maybe 68W with 80W spikes in more intense games. You have to do very intense stuff to get them to 125W or higher, and then Ryzen also exceeds 100W. That is not a hard limit. Yes, they are a tad bit more efficient, but especially in gaming that difference is very small. Also, there are 65W versions of all Alder Lakes out now (without OC, but they are powerful enough to not need it). Pluss, the 12400 is both cheaper and better than the 5600X. And comes with 65W specifications by default. I doubt that one goes anywhere near 125W, ever...

To get to your original question. Thoae temps look okay to me. Especially when you are living in a hot climate. I think that is fine.

no no m8, please... dont make my life become more misserable. i already suffer enough from the price of vga. i was in rush since my vga in old pc broken. but actually i could still use the apu vga from intel and could wait the vga price down so i can buy with reasonable price. but i was impatience, so without asking from expert here i just decided to take 5600x and whole new rig part including vga. and then, just oneday after i bought online, the vga price was cut down, if i wait and ask first here, im preety sure i got better spec and less 200us dollar in vga or better rtx. do you know how its feel m8? its like there is no girl in town who wanna be with you but only one. not smart, nor preety but she wanna accept you. so you decided to be with her and thinking you will accept her too but next in the morning you found her sleep with other guy. so please dont make me cry even more :((

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's physically impossible to cool an object below ambient temps by mechanical means, that requires a chemical mean. A fan blowing air across a heatsink is mechanical. So if outside ambient is 30°C, you'll never see a cpu cooled under 30°C even if the radiator is set as intake. You basically start out at 30° and go up from there. If the ambient was 22°, same applies. It's why any reviewer also includes ambient temps. Some reviewers use a Delta system, and let you do the math, a cpu might have a Delta of 10° at idle in their test bench, so if your ambient was an Indian summer with no AC temp of 40+°C, you should expect idle to start around 50°C ish.

thanks for answer m8. yes i forgot about the ambient. since i moved my rig to room without air conditioner and the temp outside is actually around 30c. i did however turn my pump to 100% run. and also set my fan case to 10volt. and last night i did try game the hottest i got was 77c. (better than before that touch 80-81c) and early this morning, i saw its the first time touch 37c iddling even its then spike again to 40ish. so yeah i think the hot climate is actually made my cpu hotter. o was worry actually about the spike before, but since your explanation, im less worry now. thanks :)
No worries, happy to help.

no no m8, please... dont make my life become more misserable. i already suffer enough from the price of vga. i was in rush since my vga in old pc broken. but actually i could still use the apu vga from intel and could wait the vga price down so i can buy with reasonable price. but i was impatience, so without asking from expert here i just decided to take 5600x and whole new rig part including vga. and then, just oneday after i bought online, the vga price was cut down, if i wait and ask first here, im preety sure i got better spec and less 200us dollar in vga or better rtx. do you know how its feel m8? its like there is no girl in town who wanna be with you but only one. not smart, nor preety but she wanna accept you. so you decided to be with her and thinking you will accept her too but next in the morning you found her sleep with other guy. so please dont make me cry even more :((

Don't be suffering from FOMO mate! Sure the 12400 is a stellar chip for both the price and performance. But it's against a near 2 year old CPU. The 5600x is equally as good a chip. Within margin of error percentage differences in terms of performance, with the 12400 eking out a little more in some workloads, and specific games. The difference in terms of FPS on screen typically translates to just a few FPS.

Is your 5600x suddenly a bad chip!? No. It's not. With the AM4 ecosystem, you still have an option for stronger CPU's, but admittedly at EOL for AM4, whilst they introduce AM5.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
5600x will be good for many more years at least, ppl are still gaming on 2nd and 3rd Gen intels, and you'll still see the oddball FX thrown in there. For an average 1080p/60Hz setup to a 4k/60Hz there's pretty much nothing the 5600x can't handle. Gotta remember, FPS gains aren't in the middle, only on the top end, so there's realistically Zero difference between a 12400/12600k and a 5600x because you don't see the difference anyways. Only a benchmark does. Once you get beyond monitor refresh fps doesn't count for much other than some slight latency differences.

At higher refresh or resolutions, the gpu tends to become far more important to fps than the cpu.

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
Don't be suffering from FOMO mate! Sure the 12400 is a stellar chip for both the price and performance. But it's against a near 2 year old CPU. The 5600x is equally as good a chip. Within margin of error percentage differences in terms of performance, with the 12400 eking out a little more in some workloads, and specific games. The difference in terms of FPS on screen typically translates to just a few FPS.

Is your 5600x suddenly a bad chip!? No. It's not. With the AM4 ecosystem, you still have an option for stronger CPU's, but admittedly at EOL for AM4, whilst they introduce AM5.
so what your saying is , i better just stick with my 5600 now and not think to change it to 12 gen in near future and just wait for new ryzen so i can upgrade it? if so that would be a good one then since im also planning to change the vga when 4000 genereation available. but as you said with am5 introduced, does am4 still have chance having new procie in future?

Last edited:

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
5600x will be good for many more years at least, ppl are still gaming on 2nd and 3rd Gen intels, and you'll still see the oddball FX thrown in there. For an average 1080p/60Hz setup to a 4k/60Hz there's pretty much nothing the 5600x can't handle. Gotta remember, FPS gains aren't in the middle, only on the top end, so there's realistically Zero difference between a 12400/12600k and a 5600x because you don't see the difference anyways. Only a benchmark does. Once you get beyond monitor refresh fps doesn't count for much other than some slight latency differences.

At higher refresh or resolutions, the gpu tends to become far more important to fps than the cpu.
ok noted m8. actually i was aiming for 27inch 2k 144 hz and happy with it now. i still have no intention for going 32inch with 4k 144 or 240. i know that the best for me before was to pair my cpu with 3070. but there is no stock at that time. so far, im quite happy with the gaming things with this rig. the only worry was the temp. but after all the info i have from all of you, i think its ok now.

KyaraM

Admirable
so what your saying is , i better just stick with my 5600 now and not think to change it to 12 gen in near future and just wait for new ryzen so i can upgrade it? if so that would be a good one then since im also planning to change the vga when 4000 genereation available. but as you said with am5 introduced, does am4 still have chance having new procie in future?
The Ryzen 5000 chips are the last AM4 socket chips. There are some lower end and one higher end model coming out this month so they can compete with Intel in that lower end segment, but that's it. Everything Ryzen 7000 (later this year) and liter will be on a completely new, incompatible socket.

That said, I didn't want to imply you have to change asap. I just got an issue with the myth that Alder Lake is so energy inefficient whatever you do, when it really only is in a few circumstances that don't affect gaming. I might also just have a good chip there. But from what I heard from others and what I saw in benchmarks, it's more a fact that Alder Lake is a lot more efficient than previous Intels, and more efficient than team red wants to admit.

Yes, that's not a bad option at all.

No new CPU's for AM4 other than 5xxx series. But you can move up in cores and stronger single thread performance with a 5900x etc.

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
The Ryzen 5000 chips are the last AM4 socket chips. There are some lower end and one higher end model coming out this month so they can compete with Intel in that lower end segment, but that's it. Everything Ryzen 7000 (later this year) and liter will be on a completely new, incompatible socket.

That said, I didn't want to imply you have to change asap. I just got an issue with the myth that Alder Lake is so energy inefficient whatever you do, when it really only is in a few circumstances that don't affect gaming. I might also just have a good chip there. But from what I heard from others and what I saw in benchmarks, it's more a fact that Alder Lake is a lot more efficient than previous Intels, and more efficient than team red wants to admit.
Yes, that's not a bad option at all.

No new CPU's for AM4 other than 5xxx series. But you can move up in cores and stronger single thread performance with a 5900x etc.

in these case, i will just stick with my 5600x and the rethinking later when new socket am5 and vga 4000 released, then i can decide wheter just upgrade the vga or with am5 or intel. i think this rig i just bulit is sufficient enough for me at the moment

TRENDING THREADS