[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x temperatures go up and down

Aug 23, 2021
I built my first pc today. Everything went fine until I turned it on for the first time. I noticed my wraith prism cooler was loud. So I installed core temp to check the temperature of my cpu. It showed 50 on idle. I immediately removed my cooler and reapplied new thermal paste and installed my cooler once again. This time idle temp went to 30+ degrees but for some reason it kept going from 30 to 45 every second. I thought ok maybe this is normal. Then I closed the glass panel of my case and a new problem started, my cpu temp went to 70+ degrees. I opened the glass panel again then the temps dropped. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I checked if I installed the wraith prism cooler in correct way, it looks like I did. It stays in place. Please help I don't want to ruin my first build

Solution
AMD's bundled coolers do not rival any of Noctua's designs just yet...

Does your case employ a fan or two supplying input air, and, one or two exhausting air? (If there is no airflow, things will heat up inside a case leading to raised temps everywhere)

As what we consider 'idle' might not actually apply within WIndows 10, especially a new /freshly installed build, it is important to remember the system might be quite busy an hour or three after connection to the internet pulling in/applying updates.

You can check your assorted core clock speeds with HWMonitor. (Clock speeds will vary within chosen power plans, use of PBO/PBO2 enabled, etc..)

Overall, 70-78C is nothing to be alarmed at at normal clock speeds during an actual load...
AMD's bundled coolers do not rival any of Noctua's designs just yet...

Does your case employ a fan or two supplying input air, and, one or two exhausting air? (If there is no airflow, things will heat up inside a case leading to raised temps everywhere)

As what we consider 'idle' might not actually apply within WIndows 10, especially a new /freshly installed build, it is important to remember the system might be quite busy an hour or three after connection to the internet pulling in/applying updates.

You can check your assorted core clock speeds with HWMonitor. (Clock speeds will vary within chosen power plans, use of PBO/PBO2 enabled, etc..)

Overall, 70-78C is nothing to be alarmed at at normal clock speeds during an actual load.

If you want to induce a semi-heavy (gaming- equivalent) load, the CPU-Z application has a 'bench' tab where you can enable 'Stress CPU', which, while running until you hit 'stop', should induce a CPU load that will raise temps to 70-85C instantly. (I'd possibly expect the temps to be on the higher end of that range with AMD's stock cooler on a RYzen 5600X or 5800X.. (You never specified what CPU you were referring to)

Solution
Aug 23, 2021
what case do you have?
what case fans?
was it still idle at 70c as thats a big jump

constant temp changes are normal on ryzen so the 30 to 45 makes sense.
My case is deepcool matrexx 55 MESH. It has 3 fans in the front and 1 rear fan. Yes it went 70 on idle I was just on Microsoft edge

Aug 23, 2021
I built my first pc today. Everything went fine until I turned it on for the first time. I noticed my wraith prism cooler was loud. So I installed core temp to check the temperature of my cpu. It showed 50 on idle. I immediately removed my cooler and reapplied new thermal paste and installed my cooler once again. This time idle temp went to 30+ degrees but for some reason it kept going from 30 to 45 every second. I thought ok maybe this is normal. Then I closed the glass panel of my case and a new problem started, my cpu temp went to 70+ degrees. I opened the glass panel again then the temps dropped. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I checked if I installed the wraith prism cooler in correct way, it looks like I did. It stays in place. Please help I don't want to ruin my first build

Now on ryzen master my temperature is 35C. It stays like that for now. I don't know what was the problem an hour ago. I hope it stays like that until I upgrade to a better cooler

Aug 23, 2021
Now on ryzen master my temperature is 35C. It stays like that for now. I don't know what was the problem an hour ago. I hope it stays like that until I upgrade to a better cooler
Now while I am installing nvidia drivers my temp went to 65 degrees and my fan is so loud. Why is this happening...

Aug 23, 2021
There is definetly something wrong. Whenever I open something my temperatures go up ~65C.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how long does it stay at that temp?
is it a spike and it drops again or is it always at 70

Spikes are normal if CPU is asked to do a task, but they only last a fraction of a second and cpu temps drop again.

what are yoiu using to keep temps? only 2 that seem to be right are HWINFO and Ryzen master, everything else looks at package temps

Make sure your case fans are working properly. The three in the front of the case should be set to intake cool air from the outside of the case into the case. The one in the rear of the case should be set to exhaust hot air from the inside to the outside of the case.

Aug 23, 2021
Make sure your case fans are working properly. The three in the front of the case should be set to intake cool air from the outside of the case into the case. The one in the rear of the case should be set to exhaust hot air from the inside to the outside of the case.
All the fans were pre-installed I guess the case manufacturers put the fans in the correct way.

I was in your position last year.
First fresh new Ryzen build.
Same thing with removing the cooler, repasting. Changed to a 212 Evo still bouncing temps with fans ramping.
As stated above a fresh build with a new windows install will be doing all kinds of "background tasks in the first few hours of install.More if you are trying to use it at first boot
It will download all available updates ,drivers,Games it thinks you might like etc... All of these downloaded files/drivers/updates are compressed and need unzipped before they can be installed.
If you have a Microsoft account and use one drive it start syncing your data. If you use your phone it will sink to it and back up data to your cloud drive.
It is not Idle. it is doing things causing 1 or more cores to spike in speed and temperature.

Now the best solution is to enter the bios.
Go to your monitoring menu.
Find the fan section.
Calibrate all fans. so the bios knows how to regulate them.

Next to even out the quick ramps and slow downs of the fans you need to set a delay. Depending on your fans you might need a 3-4-5 second delay. So any burst shorter than this gets ignored.. If temps stay higher than this time they will ramp up.
You never told us your motherboard so bios pages/commands are generic names. Yours may have different wording but does the same thing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As stated above a fresh build with a new windows install will be doing all kinds of "background tasks in the first few hours of install.More if you are trying to use it at first boot
It will download all available updates ,drivers,Games it thinks you might like etc... All of these downloaded files/drivers/updates are compressed and need unzipped before they can be installed.
If you have a Microsoft account and use one drive it start syncing your data. If you use your phone it will sink to it and back up data to your cloud drive.
It is not Idle. it is doing things causing 1 or more cores to spike in speed and temperature.
good point, i hadn't thought of that. See what temps are like once windows is finished updating etc.

Aug 23, 2021
I was in your position last year.
First fresh new Ryzen build.
Same thing with removing the cooler, repasting. Changed to a 212 Evo still bouncing temps with fans ramping.

Now the best solution is to enter the bios.
Go to your monitoring menu.
Find the fan section.
Calibrate all fans. so the bios knows how to regulate them.

Next to even out the quick ramps and slow downs of the fans you need to set a delay. Depending on your fans you might need a 3-4-5 second delay. So any burst shorter than this gets ignored.. If temps stay higher than this time they will ramp up.
You never told us your motherboard so bios pages/commands are generic names. Yours may have different wording but does the same thing.
Thank you for this information. That’s probably the reason that my cpu goes crazy every 15 minutes for like few seconds then goes back to normal.

TRENDING THREADS