[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x temps

Jan 1, 2021
I built a system for my son and at idle the temps are high 60-74C and not sure if that’s too high or how to figure out the fix.

Ryzen 5600x
X570 tomahawk
Gig 3070 OC
Lian li 011 dynamic with 9 uni fans
Galahad 360 AIO

I have Ryzen master and that’s where I am seeing the temps. All my fans and AIO are connected to L connect, pump fan is into the mobo. Not sure what else is needed, and I am somewhat of a noob

Solution
Not to be a huge noob, but what is the best to monitor the temps through a benchmark? I only have Ryzen master
Ryzen Master works fine. I use that, it's pretty accurate. Flip side fans to intake and the tubes on the bottom of the case instead of the top like @Jmusic88 said and reseat the cooler, I remember a gamers nexus video about the galahad where he said that the cpu block isn't the best and sometimes doesn't cover all of the IHS (metal part of the CPU). So you should try reseating, it will probably work.

BTW if the 55-60 was due to temperature spikes, that's ryzen for you. Completely normal but goes up and down like crazy. Which is why idle and spikes for ryzen are irrelevant. Load temps are relevant like...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I built a system for my son and at idle the temps are high 60-74C and not sure if that’s too high or how to figure out the fix.

Ryzen 5600x
X570 tomahawk
Gig 3070 OC
Lian li 011 dynamic with 9 uni fans
Galahad 360 AIO

I have Ryzen master and that’s where I am seeing the temps. All my fans and AIO are connected to L connect, pump fan is into the mobo. Not sure what else is needed, and I am somewhat of a noob

That's high. Either your cpu is always on a load or you didn't install your aio correctly. I would say, remove it, re-grease and reseat. You should be in the 30s for idling.

To give you an idea, my 5800x is averaging 31.5C idle temp on my NH-D15S (2 fans).

Jan 1, 2021
That's high. Either your cpu is always on a load or you didn't install your aio correctly. I would say, remove it, re-grease and reseat. You should be in the 30s for idling.

To give you an idea, my 5800x is averaging 31.5C idle temp on my NH-D15S (2 fans).

Inside PC
Ryzen Master
It’s staying at 55-60C atm at idle but just seems too high. I do have PBO on so I’m sure that adds some

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Inside PC
Ryzen Master
It’s staying at 55-60C atm at idle but just seems too high. I do have PBO on so I’m sure that adds some

PBO doesn't really add anything, especially for idling. Turn it off you'll see no change.

55-60C is too high if you are at cpu 1-3% utilization. I really think you just need to reinstall your cooler.

Edit: is your cpu radiator on top of your case or on the side? I couldn't see where your tubes go based on that picture

Jan 1, 2021
PBO doesn't really add anything, especially for idling. Turn it off you'll see no change.

55-60C is too high if you are at cpu 1-3% utilization. I really think you just need to reinstall your cooler.

Edit: is your cpu radiator on top of your case or on the side? I couldn't see where your tubes go based on that picture
It’s on the side as exhaust.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
It’s on the side as exhaust.

Steve from gamers nexus did a very good video on radiator/tube placements.
View: https://youtu.be/BbGomv195sk

Changing your tube placement to reduce air bubbles going to your pump could improve your thermals. But I also really think you just need to re-grease and re-install. Your thermals are too high for idle.

During idle, you should go below your base core clock speeds and be around 0.9V, which is why PBO won't change your thermals in idle.

Edit: I would actually recommend to flip your radiator 180 degrees first so your tubes are on the bottom. See your temps then. Then I would reinstall cooler if it doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Jan 1, 2021

Changing your tube placement to reduce air bubbles going to your pump could improve your thermals. But I also really think you just need to re-grease and re-install. Your thermals are too high for idle.

During idle, you should go below your base core clock speeds and be around 0.9V, which is why PBO won't change your thermals in idle.

Edit: I would actually recommend to flip your radiator 180 degrees first so your tubes are on the bottom. See your temps then. Then I would reinstall cooler if it doesn't do anything.
I put the right amount of paste and got the AIO on the first try, but you think there still may be an issue there?

Jan 1, 2021

Had to wait for the kid to finish a game to restart. It’s sitting at 39-43C atm with nothing running in the background

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Mebadwow
What are load thermals like? That's more important than idle.
While I can't see the top fans, I'm going to assume they're set to exhaust: You've got a lot more exhaust than intake going on.
The O11's bottom restricts airflow much more than the side or top, and is more for show than actual cooling performance.

Thermals appear to be fine, but it would be more effective here to flip those side fans to intake. Your call though.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Wonder why it was so high earlier? So just leave it be for now and if it continues to fluctuate like that reseat the AIO?

Not sure, maybe you had something running in the background. That's why I mentioned if it's low cpu usage like 1-3%.

Also what @Phaaze88 just mentioned. Load thermals are important. Your airflow might not be the greatest, you want good intake and effective exhaust.

If your temps keep staying high on idle and load, I would attempt to fix airflow first before reinstalling (reseating with a fresh new grease) your cooler.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Jan 1, 2021
@Mebadwow
What are load thermals like? That's more important than idle.
While I can't see the top fans, I'm going to assume they're set to exhaust: You've got a lot more exhaust than intake going on.
The O11's bottom restricts airflow much more than the side or top, and is more for show than actual cooling performance.

Thermals appear to be fine, but it would be more effective here to flip those side fans to intake. Your call though.
Not to be a huge noob, but what is the best to monitor the temps through a benchmark? I only have Ryzen master

Ryzen Master works fine. I use that, it's pretty accurate. Flip side fans to intake and the tubes on the bottom of the case instead of the top like @Jmusic88 said and reseat the cooler, I remember a gamers nexus video about the galahad where he said that the cpu block isn't the best and sometimes doesn't cover all of the IHS (metal part of the CPU). So you should try reseating, it will probably work.

BTW if the 55-60 was due to temperature spikes, that's ryzen for you. Completely normal but goes up and down like crazy. Which is why idle and spikes for ryzen are irrelevant. Load temps are relevant like @Phaaze88 said

Solution