[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x with MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk Build Advice

Aizuchan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
Greetings All,

I am looking to build a new system (this is only my second build) and so far I've decided on this build. If the link is a hassle:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $289.00)
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $219.00)
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
  • Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.56 @ Adorama)
  • Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $76.00)
  • Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ B&H)
  • Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.44 @ Amazon)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 64-bit
  • Case Fan: Lian Li UNI SL120 58.54 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($92.95)
I am currently lost on how to cool the CPU. I am not really interested in AIO and want something better than the standard basic throw on of the HYPER EVO.

I saw a youtube video that saw that the ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Black CPU Cooler performs close to the Nocuta U12A ( I reeaaaallly dislike the brown/tan config), but it seems specific to the 5600x. I know the 5600x is ezpz to cool, but I want something I can throw on another system in the future that isn't the size of a small space ship :p I'm looking to spend less than $100 on a cpu fan.

I'm also not really interested in OCing (right now I'm only playing Warframe/Genshin Impact anyway), but it would be nice to have a fan that can handle it if I do.

I know the graphics card is missing but I have no idea what to throw in the system given the current terrible market prices for GPUs. But feel free to throw out whatever other changes I should consider :)

I really appreciate your time/advice!

Aizu

Solution
The forced updates, bloatware, and apparent privacy issues
A clean install of Win 10, there is little if any "bloatware".
You can turn off a LOT of it during the install. Cortana, etc.
I do.

"Privacy issues"? All that has been backported into Win 7/8, long ago.

Forced updates?
Well...that is a mixed bag.
With Win 7, you are long long out of any updates from MS.

And as mentioned above, installing Win 7 onto this new system is not a trivial exercise.

Aizuchan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
You are likely to find that Windows 7 isn't going to install on that system. I hope that is a typo.

You understand that it will need SOME manner of GPU to operate? The non G spec Ryzen chips have no onboard video.

I didnt know about windows 7 no. I reeeaaaaaallly dont like windows 10 :(

and yeah, I do have a GPU it just isn't listed and isn't very good. The one I have is the R9 380.

USAFRet

Titan
The forced updates, bloatware, and apparent privacy issues
A clean install of Win 10, there is little if any "bloatware".
You can turn off a LOT of it during the install. Cortana, etc.
I do.

"Privacy issues"? All that has been backported into Win 7/8, long ago.

Forced updates?
Well...that is a mixed bag.
With Win 7, you are long long out of any updates from MS.

And as mentioned above, installing Win 7 onto this new system is not a trivial exercise.

Solution

Aizuchan

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
Last edited:

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I saw a youtube video that saw that the ID-COOLING SE-224-XT Black CPU Cooler performs close to the Nocuta U12A ( I reeaaaallly dislike the brown/tan config), but it seems specific to the 5600x. I know the 5600x is ezpz to cool, but I want something I can throw on another system in the future that isn't the size of a small space ship :p I'm looking to spend less than $100 on a cpu fan.
Maybe this?

I got the SE-224 on a Ryzen 5 3600. 40C idle / 55-65C under load even after a couple hours.

Reactions: Aizuchan