[SOLVED] ryzen 5800x low cpu usage high temps!

Oct 26, 2021
my cpu usage in most games is around 10% - 30 % but its show temperature of 75- 82 degrees ... i use a towercooler but i cant imagine that the cpu is getting that hot i thought my 7700k with 90- 100% load and around 80 degrees ist hot but this seems very massive to even in idle i cant get lower than 50 degrees i have an be quiet dark rock 4 and didnt put too much or less thermal paste on it i think

Solution
Oh ok that makes more sense. In terms of your 5800X, I'm not convinced there is a problem, however I would first look at adjusting your CPU fan curve in the bios to make it more aggressive beyond 65C for example. I'd also download the latest version of HWMonitor and double check your voltages are in the expected range. Also what motherboard do you have?
It's a very hot CPU, it wouldn't remotely surprise me hitting those temps with a few cores loaded. It boosts fairly aggressively, do you know what frequencies your running at when your playing your games?

Idle temps on the more recent Ryzen's such as Zen 2 and Zen 3 are high, 50C is normal. I have experience with Zen 2, they idle much hotter than intel CPU's but it's nothing to be concerned about. Bare in mind the CPU chiplet is actually in the top left corner not the centre so you need to ensure you have proper coverage with thermal paste there.

Also do you know what your temps are when all 16 threads are fully loaded?

Oct 26, 2021
It's a very hot CPU, it wouldn't remotely surprise me hitting those temps with a few cores loaded. It boosts fairly aggressively, do you know what frequencies your running at when your playing your games?

Idle temps on the more recent Ryzen's such as Zen 2 and Zen 3 are high, 50C is normal. I have experience with Zen 2, they idle much hotter than intel CPU's but it's nothing to be concerned about. Bare in mind the CPU chiplet is actually in the top left corner not the centre so you need to ensure you have proper coverage with thermal paste there.

Also do you know what your temps are when all 16 threads are fully loaded?

no i dont know but ithink it will get pretty hot here i have a little capture while playing
temperature while playing

View: https://youtu.be/N81dyVeBIVk
while bf 45 average is 80+ °c

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021
I would have said it was normal, boosting at 4.7Ghz on multiple cores will make it very hot unfortunately. Do you know the CPU fan speed while your playing games?
think cant change it because the fans from the case are sticked together and run over my sata suport they dont even have concections to the mb ... dont know why they made this this way ... there arent even plugs i could connect to the mb ony some to add more fans but i cant connect them to the mb

Oct 26, 2021
Sorry didn't fully understand, your saying you cant connect the fans on the Dark Rock Pro 4 to the CPU fan header on the motherboard?
no that one is connected but not the on frome the case
i found out there is a button on the case where i can set the fans frequienzys at least in 3 steps ... i pusht it too the fullest and the temps wher a bit better butter ist pretty loud now

Oh ok that makes more sense. In terms of your 5800X, I'm not convinced there is a problem, however I would first look at adjusting your CPU fan curve in the bios to make it more aggressive beyond 65C for example. I'd also download the latest version of HWMonitor and double check your voltages are in the expected range. Also what motherboard do you have?

Solution
my cpu usage in most games is around 10% - 30 % but its show temperature of 75- 82 degrees ... i use a towercooler but i cant imagine that the cpu is getting that hot i thought my 7700k with 90- 100% load and around 80 degrees ist hot but this seems very massive to even in idle i cant get lower than 50 degrees i have an be quiet dark rock 4 and didnt put too much or less thermal paste on it i think

I agree 5800X's run pretty hot but there are some things you can do to help in addition to adjusting fan speed. Probably the best thing to do is under-volt with curve optimizer. Not only does it help cool down the processor, but a cooler running processor will perform better.

The simplest is to enable PBO in manual mode, then go to the Curve Optimizer section. Set it to all cores, negative. Start of with a value of -5 then run the system a while and try a value of -10. That's probably all it will take with an all-core, you can tweak in individual cores if you want.

Be sure VCore is in AUTO and CPU frequency is also in AUTO.

Reactions: Nighthawk117