[SOLVED] Ryzen 5800X throttling down to 0.54 Ghz after cold start

Aug 9, 2021
Hi all,

I recently build a new computer with a Ryzen 5800x. It has been working fine for the last month until today. When I started up my pc as per usual, I noticed that everything was running extremely slow, but HWinfo showed normal temps for the 5800x. However, task manager indicated that the speed was at 0.54 Ghz. After restarting the system the GHZ went back to their normal speed. My power plan is set to high performance and I have not touched the BIOS for a long time.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, is this a hardware or a software issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi all,

I recently build a new computer with a Ryzen 5800x. It has been working fine for the last month until today. When I started up my pc as per usual, I noticed that everything was running extremely slow, but HWinfo showed normal temps for the 5800x. However, task manager indicated that the speed was at 0.54 Ghz. After restarting the system the GHZ went back to their normal speed. My power plan is set to high performance and I have not touched the BIOS for a long time.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? If so, is this a hardware or a software issue?

Many thanks in advance!
Did you install the updated chipset drivers for the CPU and chipset? Get them only from AMD's support web site to be sure you're getting the...
Aug 9, 2021
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor
Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Corsair RM850 PSU
G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws 2x16GB 3600Mhz
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD
GTX 1060
NZXT H510

Oct 30, 2021
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor
Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Corsair RM850 PSU
G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws 2x16GB 3600Mhz
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD
GTX 1060
NZXT H510
Probably just a hiccup , if i dosent happen again dont worry about it , if it happens again reset your bios.

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!
Did you install the updated chipset drivers for the CPU and chipset? Get them only from AMD's support web site to be sure you're getting the latest. They will install a new power plan made for Ryzen CPU's so just use it.

In use Ryzen CPU's are extremely dynamic and will basically turn of cores (C6 deep sleep power state) to save energy when OS activity allows it. So you'll see clocks drop extremely low from time to time, but boost to max clock for a brief instant if something asks for attention. That's perfectly normal.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution