Question Ryzen 5800X3D is running hotter than i think it should ?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
i have a new build, specs are as follows with cooling:

5800x3d cooled by an arctic freezer 2 360 aio ( fans are exhaust)
asus rog strix b550 f gaming wifi 2 mobo
4 lian li infinity 120 mm fans 3 front are intake one exhaust rear
asus ko 3060ti gpu
ram is mushkin redline 32 gb
psu is thermaltake 850w gold gf3
1-1tb mushkin 5400 speed os nvme drive
1- 2tb mushkin 7400 speed game nvme drive
case is nzxt h7 flow

the cpu idles at around 50 - 60 , under gaming even non impactful games it gets to 76
i know they are a warmer running cpu but with me being disabled i fret that something is wrong, i had a live call with the companty that built it they did a stress test through remote access with occt (i think thats the name of the program) for 10-15 min and the cpu hit 77 max on quiet fan setting and they said thats great thermals but im a worry wart and like multople opinions, but im so used to my old cpu with an air coller sitting at 38-40 at idle and never hitting 75 while gaming but that was a r5 3600 also

am i over thinking it or is there something wrong? if theres something that doesnt look right what can i do to check, im a stroke survivor with super shaky hands so im not comfortable messing around inside the case ill break something so reseating the aio repasting i wouldnt be able to do that , any advice would be great ive attached a pic of hwmonitor of it being idle aftyer playing agame so u can see the max temp and idle or should i be using a different program to monitor ?
View: https://imgur.com/a/FlaMZ19

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Water cooler idle should be very low indeed, in the 30s depending on ambient temperature. But the CPU is not overheating it seems.

And idle can mean a lot of things. If you have a lot of background tasks running, it may be doing some light work. Working on Windows updates, TRIM, running your 'special interest' downloads. :)

You want percentage utilization, clock speeds, and temperature all up at the same time to verify.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Water cooler idle should be very low indeed, in the 30s depending on ambient temperature. But the CPU is not overheating it seems.

And idle can mean a lot of things. If you have a lot of background tasks running, it may be doing some light work. Working on Windows updates, TRIM, running your 'special interest' downloads. :)

You want percentage utilization, clock speeds, and temperature all up at the same time to verify.
how do i do that ?

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021

I think i might of found the culprit, Nvidia container was using 6% cpu even on idle on the driver 531.18 so 3 coreswere boosting,, they arrest with the drive 526,86, I haven't reset my settings in nvidua control panel yet like high performance/ prefer max performance but I might do it by Game and not by global as I've been doing , sometime days doing it globally don't hurt anything abd Dont make tgecsystem run at max at idle but I funny know, but right now at idle I'm atsub 40 ° so maybe pass it on that 531.18 has the, Nvidia container cpu usage bug and they need to roll back drivers. ill.update when I set control panel settings if it changes

View: https://imgur.com/a/d3zKXMo

Last edited:
i have a new build specs are as follows with cooling
5800x3d cooled by an arctic freezer 2 360 aio ( fans are exhaust)
asus rog strix b550 f gaming wifi 2 mobo
4 lian li infinity 120 mm fans 3 front are intake one exhaust rear
asus ko 3060ti gpu
ram is mushkin redline 32 gb
psu is thermaltake 850w gold gf3
1-1tb mushkin 5400 speed os nvme drive
1- 2tb mushkin 7400 speed game nvme drive
case is nzxt h7 flow
the cpu idles at around 50 - 60 , under gaming even non impactful games it gets to 76
i know they are a warmer running cpu but with me being disabled i fret that something is wrong, i had a live call with the companty that built it they did a stress test through remote access with occt (i think thats the name of the program) for 10-15 min and the cpu hit 77 max on quiet fan setting and they said thats great thermals but im a worry wart and like multople opinions, but im so used to my old cpu with an air coller sitting at 38-40 at idle and never hitting 75 while gaming but that was a r5 3600 also

am i over thinking it or is there something wrong? if theres something that doesnt look right what can i do to check, im a stroke survivor with super shaky hands so im not comfortable messing around inside the case ill break something so reseating the aio repasting i wouldnt be able to do that , any advice would be great ive attached a pic of hwmonitor of it being idle aftyer playing agame so u can see the max temp and idle or should i be using a different program to monitor ?
View: https://imgur.com/a/FlaMZ19
Those are good thermals under full load. Tjmax is 90c, so everything bellow that is up to specs by AMD.
Are you using Curve Optimizer from BIOS ? That could drop temps by adjusting voltage for every core dynamically.
Using HWinfo you can choose to see temps of every core by itself (click on Core temperature) because this way you see is just temps of one , hottest core while other ones can stay cool depending on usage.
One more thing I can see in your charts, looks like boost is not working as all I can see is base frequency not boosting to at least 4.5GHz all cores and up to 5GHz single core boost although you have a good temperature margin.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
Those are good thermals under full load. Tjmax is 90c, so everything bellow that is up to specs by AMD.
Are you using Curve Optimizer from BIOS ? That could drop temps by adjusting voltage for every core dynamically.
Using HWinfo you can choose to see temps of every core by itself (click on Core temperature) because this way you see is just temps of one , hottest core while other ones can stay cool depending on usage.
One more thing I can see in your charts, looks like boost is not working as all I can see is base frequency not boosting to at least 4.5GHz all cores and up to 5GHz single core boost although you have a good temperature margin.
That final picture is after i fixed it, my cpu was boosting while idle because of Nvidia driver 531.18 and the nvidia container bug, I rolled back to a previous driver which is the thermals you see in the final image i posted , the cpu boosts when i do tasks , while idle is doesn't boost as i believe it's not supposed to. The temps are fixed as of right now but i still have to set up my Nvidia Control Panel settings which might change that so im Going to do the settings individually for each Game and not in global settings like i usually do

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
That final picture is after i fixed it, my cpu was boosting while idle because of Nvidia driver 531.18 and the nvidia container bug, I rolled back to a previous driver which is the thermals you see in the final image i posted , the cpu boosts when i do tasks , while idle is doesn't boost as i believe it's not supposed to. The temps are fixed as of right now but i still have to set up my Nvidia Control Panel settings which might change that so im Going to do the settings individually for each Game and not in global settings like i usually do
Might want to read this