[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900x aircool

tkshamsi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Hello all, i am buying ryzen 5900x with 3090, 4 sticks 32 gb ram, i am afraid of Aio want to go for air cooler for 5900x, i am cg artist primarily using Unreal, I wont over clock my cpu.
Right now i have only one air cooler available at market or I have to wait a month or 2 for other options, right now available is DeepCool As500 plus Wh.
Should i go with that or wait for Assassin III Thanks,
I have heard amd are hot so super concern but afraid of Aio, plz advise

Solution
When looking at a cooler, any cooler, even an aio, look at the radiator fin volume.
That is basically where the heat exchange takes place.
The more fin space the better the cooling potential.
The AS500 and the AS500 plus are essentially the same, the only difference is the fans.
The plus has an extra fan which adds a small amount to the cooling capability.

The asassin III has twice the fin stack volume and will be a better cooler than the as500 coolers.
I included the noctua analysis to show the effectiveness of the NH-D15 which is very similar to the asassin III.
Do not be impatient, wait for what you need.
It is a small price to pay for a top end build.

The best setup will be to have one source where all of the case cooling air...
Hello all, i am buying ryzen 5900x with 3090, 4 sticks 32 gb ram, i am afraid of Aio want to go for air cooler for 5900x, i am cg artist primarily using Unreal, I wont over clock my cpu.
Right now i have only one air cooler available at market or I have to wait a month or 2 for other options, right now available is DeepCool As500 plus Wh.
Should i go with that or wait for Assassin III Thanks,
I have heard amd are hot so super concern but afraid of Aio, plz advise

The 5900x does not come with a cooler and for a reason. I'm sure AMD recognized it's potential and expected those enthusiasts would use an AIO.
It is quite a hot running CPU with 105 TDP and at stock the DeepCool As500 would cope.

It is when you Overclock that an air cooler would not cope during sustained game play.
There is no reason to be afraid of an AIO Water Cooler as they are easy to fit if your Case will fit one and the myth that they are prone to leak is BS and a thing of the past.

What is the make/model of your case, and what is the proposed fan arrangement?
Can it handle the 164mm requirement of the AS500?
If so, it can work, but you will not be able to get all that the 5900x can give.
Noctua keeps a suitability list for their coolers.
Here is the list for the 5900x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-1045
On the list is a NH-U12s which is in the same performance category as the AS500.
I think I would wait for the asassin III with twin towers that is very much like the NH-D15s.

I might add that with a 3090 card, air is going to work better by directing freh air over the motherboard and graphics card.
With an aio, you would need a 360 aio to cool better and would encounter he aio catch 22 mounting question.
A front mounted radiator cools the cpu best but heats up the motherboard and graphics card.
OTOH, a top exit mount cools the cpu less.

Lastly, What is the ram kit that you have in mind?
It is not clear to me that if you need 32gb that a 2 x 16gb kit might not be cheaper and work better.

tkshamsi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
What is the make/model of your case, and what is the proposed fan arrangement?
Can it handle the 164mm requirement of the AS500?
If so, it can work, but you will not be able to get all that the 5900x can give.
Noctua keeps a suitability list for their coolers.
Here is the list for the 5900x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X-1045
On the list is a NH-U12s which is in the same performance category as the AS500.
I think I would wait for the asassin III with twin towers that is very much like the NH-D15s.

I might add that with a 3090 card, air is going to work better by directing freh air over the motherboard and graphics card.
With an aio, you would need a 360 aio to cool better and would encounter he aio catch 22 mounting question.
A front mounted radiator cools the cpu best but heats up the motherboard and graphics card.
OTOH, a top exit mount cools the cpu less.

Lastly, What is the ram kit that you have in mind?
It is not clear to me that if you need 32gb that a 2 x 16gb kit might not be cheaper and work better.

Thanks for the reply :) leme answer your queries, the casing I have in mind is lian li lancool Mesh 2, the thing about noctua is thats its kinda impossible to find here, I can only get my hand on Assassin 3 but also after a month or so and maybe dark pro 4.
Also one thing that i find that As500 and As 500 plus are both different so are both of them less compare to Assassin 3 and not good for my purpose?
And Lastly can you explain where to place the fan as i only have been facing the fan from ram to back exist, in your point of view i should place the fan facing towards g card and existing top?
And do tell/advice plz how many sicks to buy 4 or 2.
THANKS

When looking at a cooler, any cooler, even an aio, look at the radiator fin volume.
The AS500 and the AS500 plus are essentially the same, the only difference is the fans.

The asassin III has twice the fin stack volume and will be a better cooler than the as500 coolers.
I included the noctua analysis to show the effectiveness of the NH-D15 which is very similar to the asassin III.

The best setup will be to have one source where all of the case cooling air comes in. 2/3 120 or 140mm fans is very good.
140mm fans move more air quietly which is why I favor them.
Two 140's is equivalent to 3 120's
If those intake fans are filtered, your parts will stay cool.

Do not go overboard on exhaust fans.
All of the intake air will eventually leave the case, taking component heat with it. If you put too many exit fans on top, they will tend to draw the front intake air out of the case before it can do any good.
A simple rear 120mm exhaust is all you need to direct the airflow past the air cooler, motherboard and gpu.

On the ram, go to the support list for your chosen motherboard.
There will be a ram QVL list that lists the exact part numbers that have been tested on that motherboard. Pick one of those if you can. Do not guess, ryzen can be very picky about ram.
Not all ram made will have been tested.

If you are eyeing a particular ram kit not on the qvl list, go to the ram maker's web site and access their ram support app.
If it is supported there, you will be ok.

Reactions: tkshamsi
Solution

tkshamsi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013

The best setup will be to have one source where all of the case cooling air comes in. 2/3 120 or 140mm fans is very good.

All of the intake air will eventually leave the case, taking component heat with it. If you put too many exit fans on top, they will tend to draw the front intake air out of the case before it can do any good.
A simple rear 120mm exhaust is all you need to direct the airflow past the air cooler, motherboard and gpu.

There will be a ram QVL list that lists the exact part numbers that have been tested on that motherboard. Pick one of those if you can. Do not guess, ryzen can be very picky about ram.

If you are eyeing a particular ram kit not on the qvl list, go to the ram maker's web site and access their ram support app.

Thanks i checked i am going with gskill but both are recommended weather its 2x16 or 4x 32 so still confused motherboard i am going is asus rog strix B550 f gaming, available here. Oveall really thanks for your reply and time 🙏💕

tkshamsi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013

One more things please which one is the right now from that links
https://www.amazon.ae/DEEP-COOL-Ass...in+iii&qid=1650672113&sprefix=,aps,226&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ae/DEEP-COOL-ASS...in+iii&qid=1650672113&sprefix=,aps,226&sr=8-2

which is the right Assassin 3 ? confused

The difference between the two are size and Wattage rating.
One is 20.8 x 182.9 x 29.4 and 252 watts TDP.
The other smaller unit is 16.1 x 140 x 16.5 and 280 watts TDP
I personally don't trust this Chinees made product (usually poor quality control). The Noctua NH D15 is the only AIR cooler I would recommend should you decide to go AIR.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/deepcool-as500-plus-white/10.html

Biggest issue with the Assassin III is its height. It's massive. The AS500 Plus is too and basically hits the same temps as a DarkRock 4 Pro, barely behind the Assassin III by a couple of degrees.

But the biggest issue is height. You need to be having a case that'll handle 164+mm aircoolers or forget any misconceptions you may have about AIO's and go with a decent 240/280mm

Last edited:

tkshamsi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/deepcool-as500-plus-white/10.html

Biggest issue with the Assassin III is its height. It's massive. The AS500 Plus is shorter and basically hits the same temps as a DarkRock 4 Pro, barely behind the Assassin III by a couple of degrees.

But the biggest issue is height. You need to be having a case that'll handle 164+mm aircoolers or forget any misconceptions you may have about AIO's and go with a decent 240/280mm

Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH thats what i have in mind