[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900X and 3000 mHZ ram kit

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Good Evening everyone,

A couple of months back, I upgraded from my i7 5820X (X299) setup to a Ryzen 9 5900X and AM4 motherboard (X570 Aorus Master). I brought over my quad channel memory kit which is a Corsair CMU32GX4M4C3000C15. For the sake of not making everyone look this up, it is a 32gb (4x8gb) kit rated at 3000 mHZ and a CAS Latency of 15. As with my upgrade, I had intended to slowly rebuild the entire system (i.e. memory, nvme SSD, graphics card, etc). I am considering upgrading the ram to a 3600 mHZ kit that has a CAS latency of 18 and/or CAS 16 ( both Trident Z Neo Kits - 32gb). Given that fact that having a lower CAS is generally better, my question is would I be better suited to continue using my 3000 mHZ kit or would the 3600mHZ be a better bet even at a higher latency to pair with the 5900X given Ryzen's demand for faster memory in general.

Generally speaking if I was still on Intel, I would even really consider a swap as it really doesn't matter. This is my first AMD system since my old Athlon 6400 from back in the day.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Good Evening everyone,

A couple of months back, I upgraded from my i7 5820X (X299) setup to a Ryzen 9 5900X and AM4 motherboard (X570 Aorus Master). I brought over my quad channel memory kit which is a Corsair CMU32GX4M4C3000C15. For the sake of not making everyone look this up, it is a 32gb (4x8gb) kit rated at 3000 mHZ and a CAS Latency of 15. As with my upgrade, I had intended to slowly rebuild the entire system (i.e. memory, nvme SSD, graphics card, etc). I am considering upgrading the ram to a 3600 mHZ kit that has a CAS latency of 18 and/or CAS 16 ( both Trident Z Neo Kits - 32gb). Given that fact that having a lower CAS is generally better, my question is would I be better suited to continue using my 3000 mHZ kit or...
Good Evening everyone,

A couple of months back, I upgraded from my i7 5820X (X299) setup to a Ryzen 9 5900X and AM4 motherboard (X570 Aorus Master). I brought over my quad channel memory kit which is a Corsair CMU32GX4M4C3000C15. For the sake of not making everyone look this up, it is a 32gb (4x8gb) kit rated at 3000 mHZ and a CAS Latency of 15. As with my upgrade, I had intended to slowly rebuild the entire system (i.e. memory, nvme SSD, graphics card, etc). I am considering upgrading the ram to a 3600 mHZ kit that has a CAS latency of 18 and/or CAS 16 ( both Trident Z Neo Kits - 32gb). Given that fact that having a lower CAS is generally better, my question is would I be better suited to continue using my 3000 mHZ kit or would the 3600mHZ be a better bet even at a higher latency to pair with the 5900X given Ryzen's demand for faster memory in general.

Generally speaking if I was still on Intel, I would even really consider a swap as it really doesn't matter. This is my first AMD system since my old Athlon 6400 from back in the day.

Thanks in advance
Cl latency is just one of many. it matters most with RAM of same or close frequency. It also doesn't affect every program same way, there's no "one fits" all.
In your case, frequency difference is large enough to prefer frequency over Cl. Ryzen thrives with faster RAM, 5000 series (Zen3) can handle memory 4000MHz+, so only MB and it's BIOS may get in the way.
After saying all that, memory performance doesn't affect all programs same way, so beside better benchmark scores that upgrade may not be very visible.

Solution

StealthArsenal

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
@CountMike

Thank you for the response. That is kind of what I was wondering. I don't benchmark things nearly as much as I used to anymore. I think my thoughts were more along the lines of okay, I have an older 3000 mhz quad kit now. Would I even notice going to 3600 or as you alluded to (assuming the Aorus Master could handle) a 4000 mhz kit. Knowing full well Ryzen benefits heavily from frequency, would that be an upgrade avenue that would be something to consider. I mean my system runs just fine. I could probably just grab a couple gen 4 nvme drives instead, but I felt I needed to ask the question.

@CountMike

Thank you for the response. That is kind of what I was wondering. I don't benchmark things nearly as much as I used to anymore. I think my thoughts were more along the lines of okay, I have an older 3000 mhz quad kit now. Would I even notice going to 3600 or as you alluded to (assuming the Aorus Master could handle) a 4000 mhz kit. Knowing full well Ryzen benefits heavily from frequency, would that be an upgrade avenue that would be something to consider. I mean my system runs just fine. I could probably just grab a couple gen 4 nvme drives instead, but I felt I needed to ask the question.
That's entirely up to you.
Like many I too have two little people sitting on my shoulders. One is saying "Get everything newest and best" and the other " As long as it does the job satisfactory, keep what you have and save money for next gen". I sometimes let them get into fisticuffs and do what winner says.

Good Evening everyone,

Thanks in advance
I would not bother with cl18.
Cl16@3600 should show a bump.