[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900x and Corsair 64GB RAM not working

Nov 10, 2020
Hi

This is my first PC build so please bare with me if i have done something really obviously wrong. I have a ryzen 5900x and corsair dominator 64gb RAM at 3200mhz on a Gigabyte B550 Vision D motherboard.

Managed to get the system up and running and got windows installed and all my drivers.

Went back into the bios to enable XMP to get the ram to run at 3200MHZ - and every time I do that, the computer restarts and nothing comes up on the monitor.

I've removed the battery on the motherboard to do a CMOS restart, and that works and brings me back to the home page, however, memory then resets to 2333MHZ.

I have the bios updated to the latest F11D to allow the motherboard to run the zen 3 chip. However, there is an update prior to the one I used called F3 which shows "improve memory compatibility. I'm assuming my F11d already incorporates this update.

Please help, not sure what i'm doing wrong.

thanks

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
in the same boat as you
using a 64gb kit. on an older ryzen though.

i eventually used only 2 sticks , and used the other 2 sticks in my wife's computer.

so try with 2 sticks, if that don't work try to lower ram speed to 2933 or something. oh and don't forget to manually set the dram voltage to what is specced on your sticks.
also, dram terminaison voltage should be set at half the value of dram voltage

welcome to ryzen's memory OC !
https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...24-7-memory-stability-thread.1628751/page-246

5000 posts there

Nov 10, 2020
Thanks NeoJack for your response. I'll try my best to get this working to 3200 MHZ and if not will just use it as it is or in another computer.

Kanewolf - these 4 sticks were purchased as a single set, they came altogether

Nov 10, 2020
I have now tried different ram slots moving the ram sticks around and when I try to get it back to 3200MHZ via the bios, nothing comes up on the monitor. I have even left it for a few minutes assuming it might boot up but nothing comes up at all. Any ideas guys

InvalidError

Titan
If it works at lower speeds but not at 3200MT/s, double-check that your memory model is on the motherboard manufacturer's QVL. If it isn't, you may simply be out of luck due to the DIMMs not being guaranteed to work on this specific board and CPU.

Zen 3 is still pretty new, it is quite likely AMD will issue AGESA updates to improve compatibility over the next few months. Gigabytes will likewise tweak things on its end and issue BIOS updates that may help too.

Practically all of AMD's Ryzen launches have been marred with relatively widespread compatibility complaints for the first couple of months. That's one downside of attempting to accommodate multiple generations per platform - more design compromises, more things to test, higher chances of missing combinations.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd motherboards are funky about 4 sticks. A2 is the primary slot, B2 it's pairing and they'll run full speeds. When using 4x sticks, it gives infinity fabric fits at higher speeds, so A1/B1 are regulated to much slower speeds. This table is using 3000 series cpus, as the 5000 series is simply too new to really be vested yet.

SR is single Rank ram, DR is Dual Rank ram, it's how the chiplets on the ram pcb are arranged and used, nothing to do with Single or Dual Channel, which is how the ram is arranged on the motherboard.

Not sure exactly how much speed you'll get from 4x sticks, but Rank can make a difference. Unless amd has put more effort into 5000 series and 4x sticks, it might be that the best you'll get is 2666/2933MHz

Nov 10, 2020
I'll try to set it manually and will revert back if there are any changes that have occurred. Appreciate all of your inputs. I have also emailed Corsair and Gigabyte who are looking into this issue as we speak.

thanks