Question Ryzen 5900x build for work station / VR / video editing

nonag

Commendable
May 11, 2020
Hi Everyone!

Please have a look at this list of materials for the 5900x build. I would like to go with a mini itx case.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qrQPgb

Do you foresee any issues with this down the line? Concern is being a small case and not sure if the air flow would be an issue. Otherwise I could go with something a bit larger like the Fractal Design Pop Mini. Assume it would be over clocked occasionally.
Is it better to go with air cooling or AOI water cooling?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you foresee any issues with this down the line? Concern is being a small case and not sure if the air flow would be an issue.
Smaller cases are ironically the best for airflow; with the proximity of the case fans to the components, it doesn't get much better than that. At the same time, you can screw yourself with part upgrades later on; not .

Airflow-wise, NZXT's H series(ignoring the H Flow) prioritizes looks. If you're looking to maximize cooling performance, they're not it.
They will do OKAY as long as total system power is kept low, but the H210 in particular is not friendly towards open air gpu coolers in particular; there's hardly any air for the cooler to get.
The perforations are practically blocked off by the psu, the psu's cables, and the cable management bar.

Air Vs AIO: I believe it depends.
AIOs do best installed against meshed out panels. Even a good AIO can't defeat physics; if not installed against meshed out panels, then a good tower air cooler does just as good, if not better, as one can't choke their fans as easily, since they sit towards the middle of most PCs.
The H210 doesn't favor 240mm AIOs, though they are listed as supported.

ASK THE COMMUNITY