[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900X not POSTing with OC'd memory

Abusing_binkie

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Just got a 5900X to replace a 3800X that I had been using for a while. Went into the BIOS after installing the new processor and enabled XMP...System hangs on boot. Mobo shows MEM indicator lit up. Reset CMOS and boot without XMP and it boots fine. So I take out two of the 8GB DIMMs and try enabling XMP...It boots this time and shows everything as normal. I went back into the BIOS and tried enabling PBO...System hangs on boot. Mobo shows MEM indicator lit up again. So I reset the CMOS and leave PBO off but try and enable XMP...System hangs on boot and shows MEM indicator lit up AGAIN. I can still boot with 16 or 32GB of RAM as long as I don't enable XMP. Never had any issues with the 3800X not booting so it's not the memory or the motherboard. Could I have a bad CPU? Maybe FCLK is unstable at 1800mhz? Is there anything else I can try? Could an upcoming BIOS update fix something like this?

Mobo: MSI X570 ACE with latest non-beta BIOS
Memory: 8GBx4 G Skill 3600 C14

I'm not one to spend forever learning memory timings and all the ins and outs of overclocking, that's why PBO and XMP appeal to me, I just want it to work which it did before the 5900X was installed. I can live without PBO enabled (didn't feel like it made a huge difference anyway) but this RAM issue is a deal breaker. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Abusing_binkie

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Answered my own question. Apparently my bios was too old for the 5000 series processors. If anyone else is having this problem, update to most recent beta bios with patch d.6 and you’re golden.

Reactions: AlexTheFern