[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900x temperature reaches 80 degrees on Cinebench ?

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
I've just finished my first custom watercooled build. I'm running ryzen 5900x with crosshair viii formula motherboard.

In my loop I have 2 × 360 rads cooling the cpu and vrms. I havnt added gpu in yet as I'm waiting to upgrade to 3080 when the price comes down. I'm just a bit concerned with the temps I am seeing, I have enabled PBO and disabled some of the limits in bios, so I understand that is going to create more heat, but when I run cinebench I'm seeing 80c on the package, and it sits around 40c at idle.

I'm new to watercooling so I don't know if these temps are normal? I just expected it to be a lot lower than that underload considering I have two rads worth of cooling. Is this normal? Any advice is much appreciated.

Solution
Cooling depends on your ambient temp, and most importantly your case. If is a good airflow case then your temps are OK bur not fantastic, but if with a solid/glass front panel then they are pretty normal. Any Rad or fan configoration is only as good as the air that can feed it.
Cooling depends on your ambient temp, and most importantly your case. If is a good airflow case then your temps are OK bur not fantastic, but if with a solid/glass front panel then they are pretty normal. Any Rad or fan configoration is only as good as the air that can feed it.

Solution

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
That is a good point, didn't think about the ambient temp, my room is usually about 24c. My case is lian li o11 dynamic XL, so I'm not sure how good airflow is, but I think it's pretty good. I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a bad mount on CPU block, however I disabled some of the setting I enabled in bios, and re-ran cinebench, and saw a max of 66c of package, so think I might just be allowing it to push hard, and maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid.

Ryzen Master, auto OC which gives you like a 4.45 all core OC.... that's what I did with mine and happy out with it. My 5900x will even boost up to 3 cores at 5.05Ghz while gaming. That is the ROG certified case right? Nice case but not the absolute greatest for airflow but you have many options for how to do it so a very solid case. Your temps are fine though, nowhere near Thermal throttle so no worries really,

Last edited:

Shifty13

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
Ryzen Master, auto OC which gives you like a 4.45 all core OC.... that's what I did with mine and happy out with it. My 5900x will even boost up to 3 cores at 5.05Ghz while gaming. That is the ROG certified case right? Nice case but not the absolute greatest for airflow but you have many options for how to do it so a very solid case. Your temps are fine though, nowhere near Thermal throttle so no worries really,
Okay, I will give that a go and see what happens then. I did notice it has been boosting to 4.95 at times so I guess that's where the heat is coming from. Yh it is the ROG case, really nice case, and easy to work with.