[SOLVED] Ryzen 5950x and ASUS ROG Corsshair VIII Formula

fauxpride

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Hi,

I'm looking to build a new system. I've just gotten a Ryzen 5950x, and now I'm looking at a mobo.

The best choice for what I need appears to be the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula.

Looking at people who have this CPU+mobo combination, the results are not encouraging. Most are reporting that the Ryzen 5000 series are not really stable with the Crosshair VIII Formula, possibly because of bad BIOSes:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/kox5b0/5950x_crosshair_viii_formula_random_restarts_in/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/knx2vo/5950x_with_asus_rog_crosshair_viii_formula_is/

Could anyone that has this combination here share their experiences? Have the latest BIOSes gotten better?

Solution
I don't own the hardware mentioned in the above reddit's but I think you should steer clear of the motherboard if you want to pair it with a 5950x. Also, you might need to go for the cream of the crop style boards, ones that have a robust VRM area and one's that have as few BIOS updates as possible.

One thing I tend to look at when buying a motherboard for a platform, is scope out how many BIOS updates it's gotten. If there are a number of them, often times it's either that they are fixes(there's something wrong with the motherboard) or that they rectified it. Beta BIOS are to be avoided(since they are not a 100% fix).

Lutfij

Titan
I don't own the hardware mentioned in the above reddit's but I think you should steer clear of the motherboard if you want to pair it with a 5950x. Also, you might need to go for the cream of the crop style boards, ones that have a robust VRM area and one's that have as few BIOS updates as possible.

One thing I tend to look at when buying a motherboard for a platform, is scope out how many BIOS updates it's gotten. If there are a number of them, often times it's either that they are fixes(there's something wrong with the motherboard) or that they rectified it. Beta BIOS are to be avoided(since they are not a 100% fix).

Solution