[SOLVED] Ryzen 5950x boosting and high voltage while idling

Luscion

Honorable
Feb 4, 2015
Just put together a new build and ive noticed that my 5950x is boosting for no reason, just idling watching youtube/twitch its boosting itself to 4.5-4.9ghz and around 1.4 volts. cpu temps when idle are in the high 40's but get lower when i actually put the cpu to use its so weird. Ive looked into this problem and it seems some people fixed it by uninstalling icloud (never had it installed) disabling "cool and quiet" in the bios or setting it from auto to enabled, ive tried both and no luck so far. Ive updated the mobo bios and the chipset drivers to the latest versions

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
Mobo: B550 Aorus Master
Cooler: EK AIO 360 Basic
PSU: Super Flower bronze 850w
GPU: RTX 2070

Last edited:
Solution
High idle voltages are normal behaviour for Ryzen, the reason is the behaviour of certain apps is interpreted as an incoming sustained workload so it boosts aggressively. Even Steam, Corsair's iCUE RGB software or the temperature monitoring program you are using can cause this. Though I think many of these app's have been updated to avoid this.

It's nothing to worry about though, the voltages and temps you've listed are perfectly normal for Zen 2 and Zen 3 under light loads. You can find more on it here:

There are still tasks to do in the background even when the computer doesn't appear to be actively doing anything. Windows clumps all of these background tasks into a single event, and since a lot of these tend to be ezpz to work on, one or two cores will handle them. Ryzen likes to aggressively boost, so the cores will boost to the maximum just to handle these background tasks.

Reactions: kurdtnz
High idle voltages are normal behaviour for Ryzen, the reason is the behaviour of certain apps is interpreted as an incoming sustained workload so it boosts aggressively. Even Steam, Corsair's iCUE RGB software or the temperature monitoring program you are using can cause this. Though I think many of these app's have been updated to avoid this.

It's nothing to worry about though, the voltages and temps you've listed are perfectly normal for Zen 2 and Zen 3 under light loads. You can find more on it here:

Solution

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
It is not a problem, it's the way Ryzen's are intended. You can manually undervolt them using bios or Ryzen Master app for cooler temps and lesser volts at no loss in performance. (constant set speed Ghz across all cores)

Jan 17, 2022
My 5950x would spike randomly and as I have high rpm fans my PC sounded like it was going to take off at times. I was seeing idle temps of around 50 degrees. Last ight I was bored and decided to overclock it. The only things I changed was to set all cores at 4.4Ghz and voltage to 1.250v. To my surprise my PC now runs cooler and I hardly hear the fans at all. It's idle temp is now 39 degrees. Maybe try something similar. And if someone could explain why that happened I'd appreciate it.