Ryzen 7 1700 better than Ryzen 5 1600?

Jul 26, 2018
I want to do some gaming and maybe some editing. I heard that the 1700 is better for editing and the 1600 is more suitable for gaming. But say money was irrelevant, is the R7 1700 better overall?

Solution
Of course, it has more cores. In reality, with 6 cores and 12 threads, the 1600 does pretty well too.

Realistically though, I wouldn't go with either of them. The second Gen Ryzen CPUs are much better.

Nothing wrong with that. 2nd gen would be BETTER, but that will work fine. You will however want to pay closer attention to what memory modules you buy as first gen, even with up to date bios updates, has more compatibility issues than 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs and motherboards.

If you can get a B450 or X470 motherboard, rather than X370 or B350, that too would be better.

For memory, you want something verified by users as listed here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

Or a model number listed on the motherboard's QVL list.

I wouldn't use it then. I don't find those modules listed in ANY verification thread for Ryzen, plus, the closest model number to that one I can find are Samsung A die modules which can be problematic and are not among the better modules out there. Those are actually pretty much low end modules where Corsair memory is concerned.

Probably they will be fine, but if you want a bit more surety, then I'd go for a verified module.

I see the build, but I don't see anything indicating they had success using them. So again, they may work, but it's still rolling the dice or putting yourself in a position where a fair amount of manual configuration may be necessary.

If you can get G.Skill Flare-X modules, those are pretty much guaranteed to work with Ryzen, as that is what they were designed for, specifically. Short of that, choosing modules that are either VERIFIED by users or use B-die ICs are your best chance of not having issues. I assure you, we have thousands of threads, just here on this site, not counting all the ones on other sites, where people have had compatibility issues even over the last six months when compatibility is pretty good now. Not worth the chance and headache in my opinion just to save ten or fifteen bucks.